LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Perimeter Bolt Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Perimeter Bolt Valve Covers

I have been thinking about doing this for a while, I really want the GM Performance valve covers that say Pontiac on them. The description of the conversion on the Summit website says it requires "narrow bodied rocker arms." I have Comp 1.6 rockers and was just wondering if anyone has tried this conversion with the Comp Rocker arms. And before anyone says anything, I know the covers will have to be customized to clearance the alternator.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really true. I am running the Trick Flow kit and I just clearanced the brackets. I took out a lot of material. I run the Trick Flow 1.6 roller rockers, same as Crane Golds.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you're talking about the converter plate to allow the older style valve covers to work on centerbolt heads? Or are you saying the Valve Covers are needing narrow bodied rocker arms? If it's the latter, then them getting raised up a bit I'd think would help. Or just cut out the baffles inside *shrug*
Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the brackets you need, they're made by Jegs:

They can be used with standard rocker arms without any modifications. One other thing about the Jegs brackets is that the groove for the o-ring is machined towards the center rather than around the outside edge, so that the o-ring gets the full force of the "squish" and a better seal.

In the time since I bought these, my plans have changed somewhat and I won't be needing them anymore. They're still brand spanking new. I can probably cut you a deal on them. PM me if interested.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know at least one head shop offers machining the heads for perimeter covers.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Advanced Induction does it. They weld material in then drill and tap it for perimeter bolts.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

that would be cool to run the other valve covers, but my thinking is that you are just adding another place for oil to leak from, you can get some aluminum valve covers and get a machine shop with a CNC machine and have them engrave Pontiac on it
Old 04-15-2007, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Yea, I knew I needed those conversion pieces. I had my heads done by AI and I only saw that option on their website after I already got them back Captain of iron, I had actually considered that, my dad works at a machine shop but I haven't ran it by him yet to see if it's possible for them to do it. I'm going for it one way or another, I'll make sure to post up pics if I ever get them on. soundandfury, PM sent
Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for curiosity's sake, I sent Ai an e-mail to see how much their perimeter bolt conversion service costs:

Originally Posted by Ron@Ai
$175...seems high but there is more work there than meets the eye..thanks for your interest!
Thinking more on this, if you were that concerned about introducing a new leak path, it would still be more economical to just buy the perimeter brackets and weld them to the heads.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

I wish they would work with head studs. I could modify them but I don't know how much that would effect the strength of the design.

Quick Reply: Perimeter Bolt Valve Covers