LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 OBD2 scan software

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 OBD2 scan software

So what software are all you self tuners using?

Ive been looking into AutoTap, and was about to purchase the basic $199 package untill I looked at the list of supported parameters. It includes everything I could imagine needing except for knock information! It would cost another $100 to get the Enhanced GM parameters so I can monitor knock.

Anyone have an economical suggestion on this? I really need to get something going ASAP.

BTW... Im using LT1edit, so my flash software did not come with any logging software.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same boat as you. I have LT1Edit, so scanning is not included (I hate that company and its lack of support, but that is another story).
I bought AutoTap, but you must, repeat must, get the enhanced parameters. It is pretty much useless without them.
I found mine used in a For Sale section of a forum, you might check around here and around the web to see if you can find a reduced price. the enhanced parameters are serial number matched to the adapter hardware, so you must buy them as a set.
And I personally recommend getting the USB version, not the AT1, which appears to be losing support by AutoTap. I started using the included 3.0 version of AutoTap, but crashes and bugs forced me to upgrade to their "Beta" 3.1 version. Since then, I have not had any problems. Not sure how many years the 3.1 version will remain in its "Beta", but it appears to be quite sound to me (a software test engineer by profession).
JMO.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

All these deficeincies (sp?) with whats available to Lt1 owners suck! I hate that these pcm's are so damn Archaic!

Makes me wish I would have just started out by swapping to FAST XFI or the like.

Is Autotap all thats available and useful?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:53 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is TTS Datamaster not OBD2?

Datamaster is the l33t of all scanning IMO, you can monitor anything and everything at a damn good price.

Tony.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

www(dot)ttspowersystems(dot)com/DataMaster_downloads.html
I am not familar with this application, but it appears to be OBD1 only, if I read the compatibility chart correctly. It also appears to be VIN locked, one of the few nice things about AutoTap (which is not).
I wish there were more options available for OBD2, but those greedy LS1s appear to own the market (bastiches ).
Old 04-16-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

datamaster is obd1 only, so it can only be used with 93-95.

another option is to convert your 96-97 to obd1 so you can use the obd1 softwares, lots of people have done that and it's relatively easy to do.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
another option is to convert your 96-97 to obd1 so you can use the obd1 softwares, lots of people have done that and it's relatively easy to do.
That I will not do. IF I were to remove my factory PCM for any reason, it would be to step up to aftermarket EFI.

Im just trying to find out if there's anything else... My buddy's got a damn cheapo handheld that will log more information than the basic Autotap at half the cost. Just cant put it into a spreadsheet like you can with autotap.

Anyone ever use or deal with EASE diagnostics? If so what'd it cost you to get into it for the LT1cars. They dont have pricing on there website But Ive heard of others using it...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:24 PM
8 Second Club

I know of many cars that have pickup up power just by switching from OBDII to OBD1.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fire67
My buddy's got a damn cheapo handheld that will log more information than the basic Autotap at half the cost. Just cant put it into a spreadsheet like you can with autotap.
That's the rub. AutoTap basic is a joke. You absolutely MUST get the enhanced parameters. And you can then put them into a spreadsheet, if such is your wish. Performance = $$ for fbodys, LT1s getting the worst of it, IMO.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I know the Performance = $$ thing. Believe me I do.

I've got an email into EASE diagnostics requesting pricing on a basic Laptop based setup with ALL of the GM parameters... We'll see how they stack up against Autotap for pricing.

Tony,
I dont doubt that people have picked up HP by going to OBD1, but Ive already got LT1edit for OBD2 as well as two extra spare, licensed PCM's. If I were to give up on OBD2 now I'd loose a good bit of money and have to start over with the tuning. So I say I wont do the swap because if Im going that far, I'd rather do it right the first time and go to aftermarket EFI.

For the long-term goals, aftermarket EFI is where Im going to end up going in a year or so. Rather than waiting that year to mess with this car Im gonna do the best I can with the stock PCM. Just trying to be as budget as possible because I already have the plans to upgrade later.

It'll be either Autotap or EASE depending on price. And Ive got a line on a LM1 for a smokin deal.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

how do you pick up power by swaping from OBD2 to OBD1?? I dont get it. And you get 20 free scans with DataMaster, thats kinda a lot IMO. And i got mine off a free site somewhere i forgot. So maby i lucked out. Well see when i start scanning.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
8 Second Club

OBDI cars react better to mods when tuning. Not by a huge amount but they tune easier and are more suseptable to changes. OBDII cars can be difficult to tune in some cases. Maybe only a 10hp difference if you swap.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

does that swap work with a ls1 OBD2 car also?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:57 AM
8 Second Club

The LS1 OBDII computers are much more advanced than the LT1 OBDII ones. There are guys going low 9's with stock PCM on LS1's. Try doing that with an LT1 OBDII computer.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

ok, just making sure.

Quick Reply: LT1 OBD2 scan software