LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

stock advance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock advance?

how much can i safely advance the timing on a stock motor? or will it even help at all?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only assume it's degrees, but when looking at the stock tune on my 93, it goes up to 43 lol I don't know what the trick with timing and FI is.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

LT1 stock runs timing almost on borderline of pinging.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by carzman5678
LT1 stock runs timing almost on borderline of pinging.
With 91 octane yes, most places have 93 octane now. I was able to add 5 degrees almost accross the board with no knock.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

what if advanced it 1 or 2 degrees across the rpm range, think i could hurt anything?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Quick question, how you gonna advance your timing?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

personially i got a msd timing box with the **** i can turn on the fly! I cheated!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I retarded mine around 2-3º across the board and it seems like my pinging went down. Was nice.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

just curious if dropping the engine temps will help elliminate pinging........
Old 04-15-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it's due to the fuel getting to hot, sure.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:30 AM
TECH Resident

its pretty easy if u can burn your own EPROMs, u just type in a few numbers on the software, burn a chip, pull out the old one, and put the new one in.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

OK didn't know you could do that. Actually, I've never known anyone to be able to burn chips.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Formula350
I retarded mine around 2-3º across the board and it seems like my pinging went down. Was nice.
If you are hearing pinging then somethings wrong, even with 87 octane you shouldn't be hearing any ping at all. I advanced mine 5 degrees at cruising and 2 degrees at WOT and hear no pinging at all. Your knock sensor is probably dead
Old 04-16-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dhdenney
OK didn't know you could do that. Actually, I've never known anyone to be able to burn chips.
i forgot to mention that the chip is soldered into the circuit board from the factory, so you have to heat the solder to get it out the first time, and then you must solder in a special board that allows you to pull the chip in and out continuously, (dont ask me where i got it, it was about 4 years ago and i dont remember, dont even remember the real name of it). also i used tuner CATS software if your interested but there are other places
Old 04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LiENUS
If you are hearing pinging then somethings wrong, even with 87 octane you shouldn't be hearing any ping at all.
You can most definitely get pinging if you run 87 in these engines under hard acceleration with the timing stock or advanced any. Might want to read your owners manual.

I advanced mine 5 degrees at cruising and 2 degrees at WOT and hear no pinging at all. Your knock sensor is probably dead
That doesn't mean that will work on all cars/engines. On two previous lt1 cars I had there was knock detected even at the stock timing level. This can result from any number of things including just simple old/worn out engine parts.

Also, if the knock sensor is dead, the computer goes into a safe mode and retards timing by an excessive amount which would probably mean you are less likely to get/hear any pinging in that circumstance.

Another thing, just because you don't "hear" any pinging doesn't mean you aren't getting knock. If the computer hears any knock from the sensor it retards timing almost instantly, in most cases faster than you will be able to hear it. So even if you advanced timing 10 degrees and didn't hear any pinging, that could just be because it retarded 8-9 degrees due to knock.

Basically, unless you preformed a data log to verify that you are actually not getting any knock at that setting, I would not recommend advancing the timing 5 degrees on a stock motor.

Last edited by infinitebird; 04-16-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by infinitebird
You can most definitely get pinging if you run 87 in these engines under hard acceleration with the timing stock or advanced any. Might want to read your owners manual.
You get pinging but the knock sensor should pull timing before you hear it.
That doesn't mean that will work on all cars/engines. On two previous lt1 cars I had there was knock detected even at the stock timing level. This can result from any number of things including just simple old/worn out engine parts.

Also, if the knock sensor is dead, the computer goes into a safe mode and retards timing by an excessive amount which would probably mean you are less likely to get/hear any pinging in that circumstance.
If the knock sensor is disconnected the computer goes into a safe mode and retards timing by an excessive amount which would probably mean you are less likely to get/hear any pinging in that circumstance.
If the knock sensor is dead the computer does not detect any knock and does not pull any timing.

Another thing, just because you don't "hear" any pinging doesn't mean you aren't getting knock. If the computer hears any knock from the sensor it retards timing almost instantly, in most cases faster than you will be able to hear it. So even if you advanced timing 10 degrees and didn't hear any pinging, that could just be because it retarded 8-9 degrees due to knock.
Pinging is different from knock. When I added 5 degrees of timing there was no knock retard AT ALL. I scanned it and there is no knock retard. I didn't even get knock retard till 6 degrees and even then it was only .3 degrees of knock retard and once again you don't hear pining because... the computer pulls timing BEFORE you hear the pinging.

Basically, unless you preformed a data log to verify that you are actually not getting any knock at that setting, I would not recommend advancing the timing 5 degrees on a stock motor.
No I flashed my cars pcm with magic fairy dust. I have no data logging capabilities at all
Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting debate. To add some fuel to this, I'll add this. I only get the ping during WOT in higher RPMs (4500+). It's not all the time either.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

my knock sensor was taking about 1 degree out off the line for about a second, but that was because i was using 87 octane. i had a girl watch my scanner while i went down the track and she said it was at 1 for a second, flashed to 2 for an instant, then was ok on the top end, if that tells you anything. i think i will be more than ok when i put 92 in it
Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
my knock sensor was taking about 1 degree out off the line for about a second, but that was because i was using 87 octane. i had a girl watch my scanner while i went down the track and she said it was at 1 for a second, flashed to 2 for an instant, then was ok on the top end, if that tells you anything. i think i will be more than ok when i put 92 in it
You can't just use a scanner, you really need to datalog and keep in mind that the KR stays for a little bit after the initial knock (see knock retard recovery rate in the pcm). So you are really only interest in the initial knock retard up to the spike accompanying it, once the KR starts to go down you arent interest in those fields.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

So you are really only interest in the initial knock retard up to the spike accompanying it, once the KR starts to go down you arent interest in those fields.

no, if i understand you right, i want to mess with the opposite, i want to add timing to the fields that are currently not knocking, but i figure once i start runnin 92 octane, i should be able to add a degree or 2 even the trouble areas (im guessin from about 1000 rpms to 3000 since i launch at idle).

Quick Reply: stock advance?