LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pros and cons of oil additives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pros and cons of oil additives?

I have seen many commercials for products claiming to increase your HP by sealing worn cylinders, has anyone had any personal experience with these products good or bad? My car has 130k on it and I am sure anything that helps seal the rings would be beneficial.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

i think oil additives that are supposed to "cover up" other engine problems are pure garbage, they only increase compression because they are super thick.

if you have an lt1 you are probably fine at 130,000 miles and not losing much compression if it has been taken care of, i dont know if it was this site or camaroz28 but someone tore down their LT1 with 260,000 miles on it and it still had the factory hone marks from the factory. Is it using any oil? has it lost power? before wasting your money on oil additives where their benefits are questionable do a compression and leakdown test and see where you sit
Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Cant tell if its using oil yet because ever since I bought it ive been replacing seals and gaskets, so far timing set, valve covers, intake, and rear main, and I still have a leaking oil pan gasket to do. And by the looks of this cars underside I doubt the previous owner took any pride in the care of this car so im not sure what kind of maintenance has been done thru it lifetime. I do get little puffs of smoke from the PCV when I let off the gas, but I am in the process of installing a catch can for that.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Restore

I am not a member of any oil additives but I had a old *** non muscle car with a lot of mileage and put a can of Restore and to my surprise it worked! It did raise the compression, power and fuel economy. Bad is you have to install it every oil change.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Teching In

I was thinking of trying a can of restore at my next oil change just to see if I notice anything.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of oil additives?