LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinion on afr 190 heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat,
I would get those heads. But I'm willing to bet they are 62cc and not 52cc. (which is a good thing for your future stroker). The guy must be mistaken because I don't think they can be milled to 52 cc chambers. Maybe they can.

Dwayne, I don't think we should discount the good results many people have with these heads. As with the GM LT1 casting, people have good and bad results. Same with the AFRs. For a 383 and any boost or future nitrous the big thick deck is very desireable.

Heck, AFR 210's (not 190's) even work well on Ryan Ahart's stock bottom 350LT1 in Texas heat and humidity.

They work and they seem to work well. And that's a great price for a set of heads too.

Someone mentioned magazines getting paid by vendors to publish favorable articles. That my be true for some but not true in all cases. Car Craft (latest issue with the Yellow ElCamino on the cover). The editors called numerous engine builders and asked for a telephone interview to give them a run down on their best selling combos. Those builders did not solicit the call. The builders do not advertise in the magazine, They all got free "press" and did not have to pay a dime. Mark McKeown of McKeown Motorsports was a part of that. He is now getting numerous calls for crate motors and "Engine in a box" orders. Many good engine builders are relied upon by magazine editors for opinions and technical articals. McKewon was solicited for an LT1 artical by Car Craft recently. He and I are going to do the write up. He and I pay nothing to Car Craft.

Heck, if there were no such thing as Hot Rod and Car Craft, I would have never discovered hot rods and the joy of engine building, etc. There is a great amount of value found in car magazines even if it's a vendor advertisement.

Karl
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry Rob. I didn't know that was you. Your car rocks. And you only have a 204 . Your heads were done by.t.p.s. to their specs right. If these are the heads you have. And just have a little better port work. There's a lot for these in my future. Being that the stock heads are at 54 and these are at 52 I hope I won't have a problem in the future I'll probably do a 355 . I think this compression may be good for this but Rob your car rocks.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have AFR 195's (LT4 castings) that have been massaged by Port Pros. I have the flow chart from their original CNC porting by AFR, but those are in a folder somewhere at home and I don't give a **** about them anymore since I am sure Harold picked up the numbers nicely.

As soon as my car is back together, I can post some dyno and track times.

Flow numbers and dyno charts are nice, but ET and trap speed are way more important to me. We have a pretty good idea that the car will run high 10's, maybe mids, at a 3140 curb weight, 3300 race weight, on motor.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

I spoke with the owner of the heads. Just wanted to make sure. There weren't any other problems with the heads. I found out a few things. He got these
as bare castings. He put valves and springs on them. He got them from another guy they were new the guy told him they were 54 CC. He had a machine shop shave them to take them to 52. But never had them CC D. he agreed to take them somewhere. To have them CC I'll let you know what he comes up with
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pat35
I spoke with the owner of the heads. Just wanted to make sure. There weren't any other problems with the heads. I found out a few things. He got these
as bare castings. He put valves and springs on them. He got them from another guy they were new the guy told him they were 54 CC. He had a machine shop shave them to take them to 52. But never had them CC D. he agreed to take them somewhere. To have them CC I'll let you know what he comes up with
Are they still bare castings or are they ported? If they are bare castings they may not be worth it.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

He says they are C&C ported. He put valves in it. he sed the machine shop put them in and a valve job. They come with valves springs seals that is all. I have 7/16 rocker studs. Stainless comp cam rockers. Beehive springs I think they're 10 lofts steal retainers trek flow guide plates. If he doesn't have them CC I'm not taking a chance on it.

Last edited by pat35; 05-15-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

He's got an appointment tomorrow to have them see seed. So we'll know more tomorrow. Do have one more question. A few people have been writing me telling me that 52 CC on a stock lt1. Would bring the compression to about 12.8 others say 11.1 . Does anyone know. But the true compression would be on a stock mother.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GGPC
8 months ago a customer came in with a 1985 corvette. He blew the engine up and wanted us to build him a 383 that would put out 480fwhp.He didnt care what we used, just that it was carburated. So we did our research and decided to go with the afr 195cc heads for the first time since word on the street was that they were the hot item. Here was the setup we went with: 383ci sb 4.060b 3.75s-kb forged pistons-afr 195cc street heads-850 mighty demon-edelbrock victor jr single plane-comp cams xtreme energy 284 cam 540/544 240/246 110deg with 1.6rrs-hydralic lifters-westtech headers with a 36 degree total advance. We made several dyno runs with the best coming out to 523hp@6200 and 480tq@5200. THOSE WERE THE BEST #S WE HAVE RECORDED WITH ANY HEAD WE HAD USED ON THAT SETUP! So.....minus the magazines,minus the websites,and minus the word of mouth, I want you to look into your crystal ball and dream up some #s of the heads you fancy so much since you know more than the proffesionals. Oh, thats right, you have to get your #s 2nd and 3rd hand cause you dont have the resources to obtain the information I can prove! So,until you can,keep you fingers off the keyboard cause this aint amatuer night.
If those are zero accessory numbers as I believe they are I am in that ballpark with a lot less duration and just a little more lift on my little stock shortblock with ported GM castings. People often do not understand the HUGE losses from an engine dyno without accessories to in the car. A while back in the Impala board Karl and I were part of a thread where the conclusion was you needed somewhere around 520fwhp without accessories to hit 400rwhp through the unlocked auto so there are a lot more 500+fwhp LT1s running around than most realize, just that very few of us bother with engine dynos given the extra effort having a injection harness to run the engine out of the car would be.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't heard anything from him today. He was supposed to call from the machine shop. He did have an appointment today. I'm guessing something went wrong. But hope you didn't
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Okay. Just got some great news. He CC the heads. They came out to be 58 CC the guy that he bought them from was wrong on the CC. He did mention he noticed one thing on them. The valve seals on a few of the guides. Lifted he said he had a few puffs of smoke when they were on to. He's real nice. Offered to reimburse me for new seals. Does anyone know which seals are the best for these heads. Now I'm wondering. My block is stocked. Just doing bearings and a cam. Was wondering if I should have these shave to 54 or in case I do a stroke 383 in the future would it be better to leave them at 58. How would my stock block run with 58 CC. He said he put new seals. But the guides on these headings have a taper and the seals. Lifted on a few of him if anyone has any good suggestions.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You will find lots of people saying they are great and about nobody actually running anything I would call great.

Originally Posted by lt1383
Iam running AFR 190's on 383 There some badass heads with alots of meat still come off it.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pat35
Okay. Just got some great news. He CC the heads. They came out to be 58 CC the guy that he bought them from was wrong on the CC. He did mention he noticed one thing on them. The valve seals on a few of the guides. Lifted he said he had a few puffs of smoke when they were on to. He's real nice. Offered to reimburse me for new seals. Does anyone know which seals are the best for these heads. Now I'm wondering. My block is stocked. Just doing bearings and a cam. Was wondering if I should have these shave to 54 or in case I do a stroke 383 in the future would it be better to leave them at 58. How would my stock block run with 58 CC. He said he put new seals. But the guides on these headings have a taper and the seals. Lifted on a few of him if anyone has any good suggestions.

If you're planning a stroker leave them be, that way you can set them up for the proper chamber size for your stroker.

Mike
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 AM
Staging Lane

I was just wondering if there was a a good cc to use for a stock block. Then get dish pistons for the stroke was thinking of 56CC for the heads. But how would that run on a stock block. Because I may just do a 355. Bean this is just going to be a streetcar. And we'll probably never see a strip.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Heads were shipped today. Just need to come up with a good can. Not sure if I'm going to use the 305 cam. Its new may try to sell it and get some bigger.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Okay for you guys that are Eliot fans. Found a guy selling the le2 can look at the specs from these heads and the le2 heads I'm no expert but mine are not too far behind so was wondering how you think this can would manage with these heads. Elliott says on his site cam is almost the same as the 306 but as much more torque in the 2500 range. I was just scared the 306 rpm was just a little too high. But I do have a 6 speed. Anyone with his cam. Please tell me how did on your set up. Thank you
Old 05-19-2007, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L LT1 Z28
Quote:
You will find lots of people saying they are great and about nobody actually running anything I would call great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1383
Iam running AFR 190's on 383 There some badass heads with alots of meat still come off it.

He says they are badass but doesn't back it up with performance statistics which means this is EXACTLY what I was talking about.

The usual flow numbers and such are tools but not the measure of a head. Go back to post number 30 in this thread someone posted a good article on this topic.

Tony Shepard, I just noticed your one reply to me, a sponsorship ***** is not an objective source for infomation . I have paid for every piece on my car.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:12 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony Shepard, I just noticed your one reply to me, a sponsorship ***** is not an objective source for infomation . I have paid for every piece on my car.

Tony has also paid a hell of a lot out of his own pocket to put the car together. He gets some assistance from sponsors because it's a very quick car that is going to win races and because he's a great guy that sponsors can have trust in.

My '94 should be together in about a month. Then I'll post up my shitty times from my shitty AFR 195 heads.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what got me sponsored? Knowledge, winning races, and going the extra mile to push the envelope most people like you are afraid to do. I did not just get sponsorships buy asking. They came to me. I accomplished a lot before it happened. I know what works, I know what does not work. I have done the right mods and I have done the wrong ones. I have learned from each experience and I try to pass that advice on to others on this board. If you want to know what I gained in sponsorship????????? I will tell you.

1. Machine work.
2. Nitrous equipment.
3. Tuning help.

Sponsorship Total....... $ 3,500.00

The rest came out of my pocket. AFR castings, All the engine components, Fuel system, transmission, 9" rear, suspension, $2500 roll cage, FAST XFI, ......etc etc....the list goes on and on. Basically I have paid for 90% of this new setup. All the other years were 100% me.

You said "a sponsorship ***** is not an objective source for infomation "
So I guess someone copying my combo will yield bad results? I don't steer people to use my sponsors just to keep my end of the bargain, I send them to the companies I know produce results! I do not and will not give advice to someone that is not for the right choice for them. I also sometimes send people to my sponsor's competition because they may be able to help them in a different way. I have never bad mouthed another company and will not. The other companies are good as well and have proven results. I express my opinions just like you do on this board.

People like you are why I may just stop giving advice and watch people make the wrong choices because people like you drive them to do. Get a life!

Peace out
Old 05-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

dont worry he's just jealous he cant get a sponsor. you have to be doing something right in a big way to get a sponsor . like me at trail auto if i wasnt very good in driveability my boss wouldn't have bought me a teck 2,drb3, in the last 6 years to keep me . its peolpe like you that only dream of the abillity that tony has. i don't know him but i would believe him and his setup any day before you
96cap....

Last edited by pat35; 05-19-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

He says they are badass but doesn't back it up with performance statistics which means this is EXACTLY what I was talking about.

in your eyes what would be bad *** results for AFR's (not stepping on your toes here). Just want an opinion.

11.80's on a 1.8 60' (traction problems) @ 117 MPH full race weight

Quick Reply: Opinion on afr 190 heads