LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

knock retard help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes but there's a difference in a rod knocking and spark knock.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Launching!

the car just rolled over 110k miles, so I would not think it should be getting any real knock...I've been driving around with the tank of 104 octane boost and 93 and sometimes I'm getting lots of knock, sometimes i'm getting none...I'll do a WOT run and get no retard and than sometimes I'll do a WOT run and get as much as 10 degrees of knock retard.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

As others have said, "octane boost" is completely useless. If you want to get a reading with 104 octane you need some real 104 octane fuel.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Yes but there's a difference in a rod knocking and spark knock.
Yeah, I meant spark knock. Plently of things can give you real (spark) knock on older cars. Worn out ignition coil, plugs, wires, opti, fuel problems etc.

I had a relatively high mile lt1 that had this. I replaced all the ignition components but it was still there, so I pulled a little timing and it went away.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Yeah, I meant spark knock. Plently of things can give you real (spark) knock on older cars. Worn out ignition coil, plugs, wires, opti, fuel problems etc.

I had a relatively high mile lt1 that had this. I replaced all the ignition components but it was still there, so I pulled a little timing and it went away.
I would think that if he's getting that much knock count that a worn ignition component would have a miss in it. Of course we don't know cuz we're not driving the car but just seems like it would have a noticeable miss. Unless the gas is really crappy where he lives, I would almost certainly say it's false knock. Something I would try is a thicker motor oil. Since it's got a few miles on it, perhaps the valvetrain has a tad bit of slop in it. I have noticed some noisy rockers in higher mileage motors running 10w30. Just my opinion.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I would think that if he's getting that much knock count that a worn ignition component would have a miss in it. Of course we don't know cuz we're not driving the car but just seems like it would have a noticeable miss. Unless the gas is really crappy where he lives, I would almost certainly say it's false knock. Something I would try is a thicker motor oil. Since it's got a few miles on it, perhaps the valvetrain has a tad bit of slop in it. I have noticed some noisy rockers in higher mileage motors running 10w30. Just my opinion.
I already run 10w40, but the car is due for an oil change. The opti was changed less than 2 years ago for a brand new ac delco. Msd wires are about a year old, and ngk plugs are about a year old. I have had an ongoing ignition arcing problem, that I have never been able to figure out, so that might be part of it also. The only thing not changed in the ignition is the coil. I can see arcing off of the coil wire and the plug closest to the firewall on the drivers side. could that be causing the knock and if so could the coil be causing the arcing? It is still on the stock 110k mile fuel pump also, so maybe that needs to be changed?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I would check the fuel pressure before I changed the pump and probably change the filter before I even checked the pressure. I would sort the arcing problem out too and then look at knock. If you have a spark related issue, fix what's spark related.

Quick Reply: knock retard help