LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt's vs. mid's on a daily driver, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The stock exhuast bolts up nice with the Mac's. Install is clean.

I still think the RK sports and AS&M's are better headers since they will work better down the road if you modify the motor, but they are a SOB to install and plug access is horrible.
well that sounds pretty good. i was starting to cringe at the idea of changing the whole exhaust just for headers.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Borla: pretty respected name in the exhaust market right? Well back when the LT1 was still in its heyday, they actually made headers for it. And guess what type've header they chose to produce? 304....stainless....MIDLENGTHS .

(Excuse the header on the right, I'm still in the process of polishing them.):

Since they were the only stainless headers available for LT1's at the time, they were pretty expensive. Borla stopped making them after demand went down when other companies like Edelbrock and BBK started making cheap painted/ceramic midlengths.

They very easily could have made longtubes, but the fact that they chose this particular design instead, says something.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The #5 and #6 spark plugs on those Borla headers look like a SOB to get to.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The #5 and #6 spark plugs on those Borla headers look like a SOB to get to.
Pick a side will ya?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Borla: pretty respected name in the exhaust market right? Well back when the LT1 was still in its heyday, they actually made headers for it. And guess what type've header they chose to produce? 304....stainless....MIDLENGTHS .

(Excuse the header on the right, I'm still in the process of polishing them.):

Since they were the only stainless headers available for LT1's at the time, they were pretty expensive. Borla stopped making them after demand went down when other companies like Edelbrock and BBK started making cheap painted/ceramic midlengths.

They very easily could have made longtubes, but the fact that they chose this particular design instead, says something.
mmmm, pretty

look easy to install too
Old 06-03-2007, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From David Vizard:

yes, but when youre launching the car at 3000-4000 rpm, i dont think you need to worry about any bottom end torque being lost! and besides that, its not a dramatic loss in power. ive got 300+ftlbs of torque starting at 1500rpm so Longtubes for the win!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
yes, but when youre launching the car at 3000-4000 rpm, i dont think you need to worry about any bottom end torque being lost!
Can't argue with that one bit. Engines are a system. Whatever part you change in the equation is always going to have an effect on something else. I posted the Vizard quote to demonstrate that.

You launch at 3,000 rpm's, but not everyone else does. In your particular situation, longtubes happen to work better: however, this doesn't in any way disprove the benefits of midlengths. Simply applying the "bigger is better" philosophy to all situations is a mistake, because the fact of the matter is that the owner's needs/goals are ultimately what determine what parts are going to be necessary, and the performance characteristics of longtubes are not always going to match up with them all.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Yea, depends on your setup. I will be launching at ~3600 RPM's, and the Heads I have flow pretty damn good..
Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

I will agree that overall for most people the LT's are the best, but all options should be considered except shortie headers, they suck.
what makes shorts suck so much?

Originally Posted by RedLT4Mike
yeah. the y-pipe bolts right up.
I ran it that way for a week back in the day.
Why did you replace the Y back if you had the mids bolting right up? Was it an increase in power elsewhere or did you feel that the factory system was too restrictive either way?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Shorties can work quite well, it is the knowledge level of the average poster here that sucks.
I am not claiming shories will be completely equal to mids or longtubes but they are a HUGE step up from manifolds. Lot of b-bodies out there running very well with SLP shorties.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Shorties can work quite well, it is the knowledge level of the average poster here that sucks.
I am not claiming shories will be completely equal to mids or longtubes but they are a HUGE step up from manifolds. Lot of b-bodies out there running very well with SLP shorties.

Anything is a large step up from stock manifolds. For an F-car, I don't see a real reason to look at shorty headers when there are great mids out there. That may be different for a B-body, but less than 1% of guys on here drive those.

But back on topic, I'm installing my coated Pacesetters and TDs on my DD very soon. I wouldn't spend money on headers and not get a long tube. But that's just me.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I run midlength headers because they were available with hookup pipes to a stock style catback(LT1 b-bodies got duals) works just fine even the 1 5/8" primaries are just fine.
Go back up and read the Vizard quote, that man knows his smallblock Chevys.
I agree completely. Way too many Lt dick riders.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
FormerVendor

I can't complain about the Mid Length headers. I have them and the car sounds great, better than my buddys LT (but his motor is stock). Is fast as hell. Launching at over 2500 or so will light up the tires.

It is my DD and driveways/speedbumps were a concern.

on a 97 Mids will force you to relocate the Cats (if you still have them) and get extentions for the rear O2's (or sims/lt1 edit delete if no cats) Also you will not have to lift the engine to get mids installed (LT you will, I hear) I did remove a valve cover for the 1/2" I needed to get it in. No steering linkage removed to install them.

Do the plugs at the time of install they are a bear to get at some of them afterwards.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
well that sounds pretty good. i was starting to cringe at the idea of changing the whole exhaust just for headers.
but why would you wanna get lt's and keep the rest of the stock exhaust? kinda defeats the purpose. if your gonna get headers, just go ahead and get a full system.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They could have BUT, back then you gotta remember not many people were doing long tubes on these cars. Back mid 90s, most people modding these cars were using shorty and mid style headers. I remember the edelbrocks and macs being really popular, the faster guys were using the AS&Ms. Didnt really see to many using LTs.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDave383
but why would you wanna get lt's and keep the rest of the stock exhaust? kinda defeats the purpose. if your gonna get headers, just go ahead and get a full system.
I am doing LT's, Y-pipe, and then right into a 3" Bullet, no Cats with my new setup here. I had the same for the LT1 and it was really open, I am hoping that it will throw a little bit of back pressure with how much more exhaust I will be putting out.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SuperDave383
Cost and I want to keep a stockish sound.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You might've said it earlier in the post, but I sure hope you're planning a cutout or something then. If you have the stock catback as your only means of flow, don't even spend your money on headers.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I have BBK shorties, which honestly are just as long as most the mid length headers on the market that I've seen, and I love em. I get a power increase over stock manifolds, I get the ease of plug change ( if you can call it an ease lol ) and I don't deal with low slung LT's that drag ( roads are horrible around here ) but The headers were on the car when i got it, and if I had the choice to make, I would have sacrificed the drive-ability risks for LT's, but thats just me... ( one might say Im a bit hard core? lol ~!~PeAcE~!~ )

If money was no concern;
Kook Lt headers
True duals over the axle, all custom and perfect, with some pretty quiet mufflers

( when I say quiet remember that I drive my car 24/7 365 days with the cut out open lol, just would want something a bit easier to talk over )
and of course Dual Electric cut outs off the headers for the pimp factor lol

Last edited by Sgt. Spuds; 06-04-2007 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

just get longtubes and do it right the first time

so many people have gone with short/mids and then regretted it later.

Quick Reply: lt's vs. mid's on a daily driver, what do you think?