LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what head should i go with ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what head should i go with ?

I have a 396 LT1 i have a Stock Top Half Motor. Stock Head, Stock Manafiold, Stock TB (just picked up a BBK 58mm). I have a .236/.245 575/595 112LSA Cam in the car right now.

I was wondering i have seen acouple heads for my car but i dont know which one will be the best bang for my buck. I am thinking about picking up the Trick Flow Heads for my car but has anyone used them and does anyone have any other suggestion do or donts would help.

is there any other Manafiold that fits on the LT1 besides the LT4 and Edlebrocks knock off ?

I know im suffocating the motor right now but i got it to run mid 11s on a stock top half the way it sits, now i want faster and stronger. any suggestions.

Also, has anyone used a FAST Lt1 edit program to tune your car ?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 AM
9 Second Club

is there any other Manafiold that fits on the LT1 besides the LT4 and Edlebrocks knock off
Without serious mods no.... With modifications a single plane can be made to fit for serious performance motors that will see higher than 6500+ RPM and the cam and heads to support that kind of RPM.... but bolt on manifolds nope only the LT1/4 and edelbrock will fit.

As far as heads there are many LT1 heads that will work on your setup.... Trick Flow, AFR, etc are some of the possibilities for factory bought castings but don't forget the other offerings from BRE, TEA, and the other popular porting/polishing shops taht can get LT1 castings flowing a ton of air...
Old 06-08-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brodix is now doing LT1 heads:

"Race Rite 200"

The image is the ad print for the SBC version of these heads. The LT1 heads are identical except machined to LT1 specs.

http://www.mbeperformance.com/brodix...ead-p-206.html

Flow 266cfm @ .600 "as cast" or you can get the CNC version which flows .272cfm @ .600 out of the box.

Here's the page with the flow charts and other specs:

http://www.brodix.com/heads/raceritesb.html

I've spoken to both MBE Performance and Brodix about these heads and the CNC port job they do on them is very mild to keep the flow numbers from infringing on the territory of their more expensive "Track 1" heads. Both guys I talked to said there's alot more to be had out of them with custom porting.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Next level
I have a 396 LT1 i have a Stock Top Half Motor. Stock Head, Stock Manafiold, Stock TB (just picked up a BBK 58mm). I have a .236/.245 575/595 112LSA Cam in the car right now.
I know im suffocating the motor right now but i got it to run mid 11s on a stock top half the way it sits, now i want faster and stronger. any suggestions.
I'm still freaking out that you got it to run mid 11's through a completely stock top end. Whichever head you decide to run, just make sure its a massive set of heads and with good tunning you should see a 10 sec pass. Good luck
Old 06-08-2007, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

:Quote:

Are you spraying it or is it all motor. If it's all motor holy **** man, how did you do it?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

The car is not sparyed. Its an Lt1 396 storker motor it has a 400 crank, smaller piston, 12:1 compression, harderen pushrods, 1.6 rockers, 3:73 richmond w/ eaton posi 10 bolt w/ stonger moser axles, running on a M/T street tire and one hell of a tune. The motor was running completey stock 13.7 out of the box the day i got it, if that means something i dunno.

The car is Auto with a 4L60E tranny 3800 stall and built enternals to match. it has a transpack shift kit and upgraded bands to top it off. I have stock ingition, stock opti, stock heads, stock TB, and a Stock manafiold are the only things left stock and i know for a fact im suffocating this motor ALOT. I was checking out a manafiold on another theard and it grab my attention http://www.intakeelbows.com/eficonversion.htm
[/QUOTE]
^ this manafiold is there any links or any modifaction you have to do to make this work, also what heads would compare to this. I was as much air i can get out of it.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

You can do some heavy mods and get this.

But I don't think I will fit under your hood.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

god i wish!!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, that intakeelbows LT1 carb conversion pic that I posted on cz28.com and in another thread here is getting alot of mileage.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Brodix is now doing LT1 heads:

"Race Rite 200"

The image is the ad print for the SBC version of these heads. The LT1 heads are identical except machined to LT1 specs.

http://www.mbeperformance.com/brodix...ead-p-206.html

Flow 266cfm @ .600 "as cast" or you can get the CNC version which flows .272cfm @ .600 out of the box.

Here's the page with the flow charts and other specs:

http://www.brodix.com/heads/raceritesb.html

I've spoken to both MBE Performance and Brodix about these heads and the CNC port job they do on them is very mild to keep the flow numbers from infringing on the territory of their more expensive "Track 1" heads. Both guys I talked to said there's alot more to be had out of them with custom porting.

Those brodix heads don't look very impressive even the CNC version (I'm doing better with stock castings) But the price looks niiiiiiice!

If I had to do it over again I'd go with the TFS 210 package from AI. If I won lotto I'd spring for their AFR 215 package.

Mike
Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

so which ones should i go with the brodix heads or something different. Like i said guys i have no idea which one is the best bang for my buck ?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Those brodix heads don't look very impressive even the CNC version (I'm doing better with stock castings)
You can't compare out of the box flow numbers from an "as cast" head to a set of heads that have had custom porting and claim that the untouched heads aren't impressive because they don't flow as much as your ported ones. Apples and oranges.

Also, I hope you realize that the more expensive Trick Flow heads only flow 258cfm out of the box compared to the 266cfm of the Brodix's. Going by your standard, the Trick Flows aren't "impressive" either.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That stealth ram will fit under a 3 inch cowl hood in a F body, you have to mod the cowl though...not good for a street driver.

or you can do this.........

[IMG][/IMG]

It fits under this hood..........

[IMG][/IMG]

This setup is....

Pro Action 235's ported by LE, converted to work on a gen II engine. Super Vic intake converted to EFI, intake elbows.com elbow and a monoblade.

For that 396 to really see it's FULL potential IMO you need to convert a set of standard small block GenI heads to work on a LT1.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 06-08-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
You can't compare out of the box flow numbers from an "as cast" head to a set of heads that have had custom porting and claim that the untouched heads aren't impressive because they don't flow as much as your ported ones. Apples and oranges.

Also, I hope you realize that the more expensive Trick Flow heads only flow 258cfm out of the box compared to the 266cfm of the Brodix's. Going by your standard, the Trick Flows aren't "impressive" either.
Your right stock the TFS isn't all that however, I did not mention stock TFS or AFR heads!

As for the Brodix the CNC version did not look impressive (It said CNC which I take to mean not as cast)

In my post I admitted the price looked good on the BRODIX LT1 heads, however, I wrote I would do if I had to do it over IE buy an aftermarket head to gain combustion chamber volume, I'd go back to Phil and those are the aftermarket heads he currently has listed. Now in the future he may offer the Brodix and they may be the HEAT, but I don't have the money to be the trail blazer. I need proven performance parts.

Just my 2 cents!

Mike
Old 06-09-2007, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
=

For that 396 to really see it's FULL potential IMO you need to convert a set of standard small block GenI heads to work on a LT1.

David
i was talking to a guy up at a local car spot and did that. He said all he had to do was to out the reverse flow part of the heads im assuming bypass something do you have information on that ?

and will it work with any small block GenI head ?

Quick Reply: what head should i go with ?