LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High RPM miss can you figure it out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High RPM miss can you figure it out?

OK so heres the story. The car is a 94z28 with a fresh rebuild, and a gm847 cam. I have had my car for 6 years and it has always had a high rpm miss that starts right around 6200. I just had the motor rebuilt this winter, and it still has the exact same problem, so I doubt it is mechanical.

The miss seems to be directly heat related. So, I think its something electrical. If I start the car up, let it get up to running temp, it runs great no problems. Once the car has been running for more than 20min or so it starts to miss. The motor got a new opti this winter, didnt solve the problem. New 30lb injectors, new plugs, wires, nothing. This last weekend I tried a new coil, ignition control module, still missed. Tonight I got a new PCM, flashed it with my tune, and its still missing. Virtually everything is brand new.

This car has had the same problem for 6 years. Anyone have any guesses.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of opti did u get
Old 06-14-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Opti (new doesn't mean good heh), heat soak, bad tune (no offense).
Old 06-14-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you tried the ICM mod to move it out just a bit? That thing hates getting warm.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ICM_cooling
Old 06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
Opti (new doesn't mean good heh), heat soak, bad tune (no offense).

The car has a brand new AC delco Opti. I have tryed 3 different Opti's before I broke down a bought a new one. The car had the same miss with all 4 Optis ive had.

My car has had probably 20 different tunes in it. The car has had been dyno tuned 5 different times. On the dyno the car has a -30 hp spike when the motor misses. I would say its viturally impossible for there to be something wrong with the tune that is heat related.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by titter
Have you tried the ICM mod to move it out just a bit? That thing hates getting warm.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ICM_cooling

Yes, I have had the ICM spaced off of the head for about 3 years. Didnt help out at all.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else. This has to be a simple fix that I have just over looked. There are virtually no old engine related parts on the car.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this sounds really dumb, but is it the rev limiter set too low? >_>
Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
I know this sounds really dumb, but is it the rev limiter set too low? >_>
Rev limiter is set at 7000. I really doubt it is something in the tune. It would be pretty difficult to make a car miss just at 62-6300rpms and then clear up and pull to 7000 in the tune. Esp, since it seems to be heat related.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Dumb question but does it miss 6200 WOT? I started thinking O2's but then I realized that at 6200, you're probably in PE tables and bypassing O2's.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh something else I thought of, do you have newer model opti conversion? I have read that people get similar effects as you if the dowel pin is too long on the cam. I am assuming it throws the low res disc (or whatever it is) off balance.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Dumb question but does it miss 6200 WOT? I started thinking O2's but then I realized that at 6200, you're probably in PE tables and bypassing O2's.

The car has brand new ac delco o2s as of a few weeks ago. But yea, they shouldnt be making to much of a difference at WOT.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Oh something else I thought of, do you have newer model opti conversion? I have read that people get similar effects as you if the dowel pin is too long on the cam. I am assuming it throws the low res disc (or whatever it is) off balance.

Well the car got a brand new cam, and brand new opti this winter. I would say yea, that might be a problem but seeing that it is exactly the same as before I change anything I would have to say no.

I just bought a new fuel filter yeasterday, so im gonna throw that on and see if it makes a difference. I doubt it will, because I dont see how that would be a heat related issue. But, I really wanna get rid of this miss, so im gonna try everything.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

my car is experiencing the same problem. only at WOT. when I am 3/4 it is fine....

my rev limiter is set to 7 as well. my car was fine until abotu 4 weeksago then this started to happen. I drove ti all last year no probs......wierd.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I have te same problem in my car at around 5k rpms, but Mine is still stock. It's been like that since I bought it 6 months ago, but it only does it once the motor is fully wormed up after about 20 min like you. I've also been watching vids of lt1's on u tube and streetfire and I;ve seen and heard some other lt1's do the same thing. It's annoying as hell wen it feels like you hitting a wall for a split second. My cai helped it out a little mainly because I think the engine runs a tad cooler with it.

Question for FOGGEDZ, how long have you been running that gm847? What rpm do you shift at when racing? And are you running stock bottom end. Someone was teling me that the bearings will fail past 6200 or so. But I want an aggressive cam without having to get into rebuilding the whole motor. For me I'd like to be able to shift at 6500, but is that ok for the engine or will it damage stuff??
Old 06-16-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

mines only 3/4 throttle.. new opti and everything check sig.. damn cars..
Old 06-16-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanisfast
I have te same problem in my car at around 5k rpms, but Mine is still stock. It's been like that since I bought it 6 months ago, but it only does it once the motor is fully wormed up after about 20 min like you. I've also been watching vids of lt1's on u tube and streetfire and I;ve seen and heard some other lt1's do the same thing. It's annoying as hell wen it feels like you hitting a wall for a split second. My cai helped it out a little mainly because I think the engine runs a tad cooler with it.

Question for FOGGEDZ, how long have you been running that gm847? What rpm do you shift at when racing? And are you running stock bottom end. Someone was teling me that the bearings will fail past 6200 or so. But I want an aggressive cam without having to get into rebuilding the whole motor. For me I'd like to be able to shift at 6500, but is that ok for the engine or will it damage stuff??
I had the bottom end rebuilt this winter when i put the cam, with all new bearings, arp rod bolts, and arp main studs. I have been shifting the car at 6800 so far this year. The car is def not loosing any power at 6800, it feels like it could pull much harder.

Previous years with the 100,000mi stock bottom end and a smaller cam I shifted the car at 6400.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been messing with the car all day, and I found one odd thing that doesnt make any sense. My car has a MSD 6a box and it has ever since I bought the car. I havent touched the thing in 6 years because it has always seemed to work fine. I decided this morning to try and bypass the 6a box, and rule that out as a problem. I unpluged the factory coil connector from the MSD connector, and pluged it directly into the ignition coil..... NO START. So, I completly pulled all the wiring out from the coil/ICM back to the computer, and tested it for resistance. Everything seems to be fine. I look at the factory wiring diagrams and everything checks out. So, I hooked everything back up bypassing the 6a box still will not start. I just can figure out how the car wont start with the factory wires pluged directly into the coil like it would be from the factory. But, when you plug the same wires into the msd 6a box, and use the MSD to contoll the coil the car fires right up. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

mine does the same thing..........once it warms up lol mine also has a chip its a 93 do u guys think if i got a new chip that it would solve my problem?????oh and sorry to high jack your thread man
Old 06-16-2007, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post up the dyno graph. And what valve springs are you running with what installed height/seat pressure and how many miles are on them?

Quick Reply: High RPM miss can you figure it out?