LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

non-vented to vented opti conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
Ok, well if you buy a msd opti for $500, the deltec kit is $650 and comes with everything, so i would assume that means a new optical pick up. So for the extra $150 you get a WAY better ing set-up correct?
the delteq kit does not come with anything to fix an already broken optispark. If the optical portion is not functioning properly the delteq kit will not fix it. The delteq kit relies on the optical portion of the optispark in order to keep track of engine speed and position, if that part of the optispark is not functioning properly than you must first replace the optispark in order for the delteq or ltcc to work properly. The delteq kit does not come with any portion of the actual optispark distributor.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Ok, well if you buy a msd opti for $500, the deltec kit is $650 and comes with everything, so i would assume that means a new optical pick up. So for the extra $150 you get a WAY better ing set-up correct?
the delteq kit does not come with a new optical portion. Any part of the actuall optispark distributor is not included in the kit. The delteq and ltcc both use the optical portion, so if that part is not functioning properly than the whole distributor must be replaced in order for the delteq to operate properly.
in other words I would have to replace my optispark on top of buying the delteq or ltcc kit.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

well wtf then, my bad. Well then how much is the optical eye housing that litch2004 was talking about buying with the kit?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Launching!

so does the full msd replacement come with tubes and wiring harness
Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Launching!

so does the msd full replacement come with vent tubes and wiring harness
Old 06-20-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

no because the delteq kit does not include an opti. It would be $650 + the cost of a new opti to use with it (if his current one is bad).
Old 06-20-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

No because the delteq kit does not include an opti. So it would be $650 + cost of a new opti to use with it (if his current one is bad).
Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ha ha new optical pick up from delteq yeah right..lol.... i bought the delteq and well then the msd toojust for the optical my optical was bad in my opti
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Delteq doesn't come with any opti components.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

haha lol yeah new optical pickup in your dreams dude
Old 06-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Launching!

so with the msd full replacement it comes with opti wiring harness and breather tubes?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Why is it so funny?? Talk all the **** about buyin a new optical pickup and not explain??
Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you are getting that code it is possible that the opti is bad as well. I received that same so i took out the guessing factor and just replaced it out with the MSD. But you do have to think about it, the cap, rotor, and distributor only use one plug. So whatever happens inside of it isnt going to actually pinpoint where the problem is. Weither it be the cap, the rotor, or the opti itself. It could also be the wires arcing over causing false reading in the distributor. Way to many factors to try and rule just one of them out. When i did mine the whole distributor, coil, coil module, wires, and plugs were all replaced. Nothing to have to come back and figure out.

And yes the MSD comes with everything needed except the tools. And as far as the prices go im not to sure i want to say it was around $575 but i could be wrong that was almost a year ago. But i went straight through MSD. No thrird party extra cost in there. And it was at my doorstep in three workdays.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

and no the deltec does not come with the optical pickup. Their wiring plugs into the stock opti wiring that is on the passenger side right next to the fuelrail. I still uses the internal optical that is inside, it just no longer has the a functional cap and rotor. Their wiring jumps from there into their own ignition module and the to the coils. All you receive in the kit is the wiring, ignition module, mounting bracket, coils, and the wires.

Hope this all helps
Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SiDeWaYZz28
so with the msd full replacement it comes with opti wiring harness and breather tubes?

Yeah, the MSD has it's own wiring harness that replaces the stocker (which tend to go bad too) and it has all the vaccum lines and inline filters for hooking it up to your vacuum source.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rbrcka
Yeah, the MSD has it's own wiring harness that replaces the stocker (which tend to go bad too) and it has all the vaccum lines and inline filters for hooking it up to your vacuum source.
right on brotha
Old 06-21-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by litch2004
and no the deltec does not come with the optical pickup. Their wiring plugs into the stock opti wiring that is on the passenger side right next to the fuelrail. I still uses the internal optical that is inside, it just no longer has the a functional cap and rotor. Their wiring jumps from there into their own ignition module and the to the coils. All you receive in the kit is the wiring, ignition module, mounting bracket, coils, and the wires.

Hope this all helps
yea that i understand, that other guy made it seem like you can buy a new optical pickup from deltec. Guess i misunderstood him
Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you would like me to i still have my paper that my MSD system came with. I can scan it and post it up on here for you. And by the way in a prev post i had put on there that the timing was adjustable +/-7 and someone came back and stated that it was on +/-5. I read on the internet and that is what i had found. But after this topic began i went back in all my paper work for my car and found the original stuff for it. It is infact +/-7. If you just want to have a true vented system then I would go with the MSD or equivalent system like it. My buddy has another brand that is the same as mine minus the timing adjustment and he has had no problems in his and he has had it on there for 3 years. When i get the name of it i will post the name. The only reason i would go with the LLTC or th deltec setup is if you just like the seperate coil packs. But IMO i like to go with les wires versus more. I had computer systems and i would like to have the least amount added to that if at all possible. You can go with the MSD and install a 6AL system and get the same voltage to all plugs just like the individual coils do. Which is the whole reasoning for the individual coil per plug, uniform voltage throughout all RPM range. The single coil setups voltage drops as your RPM increase. Putting in the 6AL allows you to achieve the 40,000v throughout the RPMs with the single coil. It just interfaces into the stock plug that plugs into the single coil (which is sold seperate).

The 6AL is just a suggestion to do and you will achieve the same result, plus other options that you can do along with that system. his does not have to be install when the opti is but it can always be added when your engine requires more. This system is also relatively cheap, i think i payed new like $150 for mine with my wholesale liscense that is, but i think it isnt much over $200 brand new from MSD.
If you have any other questions reguarding this just let me know. I have messed with this system for a while now on other peoples car that i have built for them.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

And sorry for the lecture. Sometime I tend to run on
Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 94 formula & ordered a msd cap & rotor for the 94. it came with all the hoses, check valve, & instructions to make it vented.

Quick Reply: non-vented to vented opti conversion?