LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

non-vented to vented opti conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you bought only the cap and rotor? If that is the case then it will not turn your distributor into a truely vented system. Not trying to dog on you or nothing just informing you that if this is all you bought and you distributor does not have the vacuum line hocked up to it then the one in the cap is almost useless.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dont want people to be misled about the vented system, into thinking that just putting on the vented cap makes their system a vented system. If it is cheaper than the OEM replacement then you might as well get it. But if it isnt then it isnt doing you much good.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me personally, move to the vented setup because it really opens up your options for timing sets. With the non-vented opti setup, I.E. 92-94 timing cover, you're limited to two timing sets that I know of: OEM and Lunati. With the 95+ Timing Cover/Vented opti setup, you now have available to you the LT4 HD Timing set, Cloyes single and double rollers, ect. ect.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

now if you do the deltec or LLTC set up is there still much need for the venting? Considering your only using the eye now? I know you can run a lot better timing gear but just puttin it out there............
Old 06-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 92 Vette and converted to full vented set up. Do a seacrh on the web and you will find it is low buck easy deal. You do not need to swap optis or anything. GM sells the vacum line kit that has all the lines and clips. It was under $50. I am going on memory but you have to tap into cap and add a dab of silicone. Mine has been trouble free with 2 failed water pumps.

I found the info by searching vented optispark or opti? There is a web sire that deals with Vettes that lists the entire swap. Under $100 for all and it is vacum hooked up and fresh air drawn through your intake.

Quick Reply: non-vented to vented opti conversion?