LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Something that dawned on me, does no one run a Neil Chance behind their LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard nothing but good things about Neal Chance converters.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94-6spd
I used a chance in my third gen. Marty Chance built one for my car and something inside gave way the first week it was in the car and screwed the whole transmission up. This was a high dollar 700r4 that was built for racing. He wouldn't cover the rebuild of the trans but did build a better converter for the car for the same price. It did suck though because of the time and money I was out for two rebuilds. When the car got a th350 I went with another brand.
Thinking about it now, I don't think any of the converter companies will pay for subsequent damages. Looking at warranty info for Yank and Vig which are probably the 2 biggest converter companies for the LT1, the statements only state that they will warranty the converter. I am sure there is some legal mumbo jumbo that will weasel them out of transmission damage. Something on Yank's website that jumped out at me is warranty void if non stock programming is used! In an electronic transmission, it's a no brainer that non stock programming is gonna be used! If they mean engine programming as well, then almost everyone is void!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Most LT1 owners buy the cheapest possible parts for their cars so probably not many are.
I try to buy the fastest, not cheapest. In the last 20 years, 18 of the NHRA Super Stock world champs used ATI converters. That leaves two that did not. How many had Neal Chance converters? None. Mostly nitrous guys use his stuff. Depends on what you have, and how fast you want to go.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Most LT1 owners buy the cheapest possible parts for their cars so probably not many are.
Unfortunately this is true, I guess this is why it's so hard for me to get much done, I try to get better part and lets face it, the good stuff costs.

Conversely, I also thought that it was because most guys use Precision Industries converters.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I try to buy the fastest, not cheapest. In the last 20 years, 18 of the NHRA Super Stock world champs used ATI converters. That leaves two that did not. How many had Neal Chance converters? None. Mostly nitrous guys use his stuff. Depends on what you have, and how fast you want to go.
This is a very good point that Ed makes.

Let me add...if the LT1 nation starts to see more ATI treemasters behind their motors then we'll see quicker and quicker LT1 cars. And for me, it was an IHRA World Champion that pointed me toward ATI. Used to be my secret weapon in the internet bench-racing class until the competition figured it out too.
Karl Ellwein

Quick Reply: Something that dawned on me, does no one run a Neil Chance behind their LT1?