LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LEDgauges 6 bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok its really hard to take night shots without a tripod with my camera, but this will give you guys an idea. And remember that I used WHITE LEDs, but they light the guage face up blue for some reason. And there is a dark spot at around the 100-120 mph mark, but its not as bad as the pics make it out to be. But here it is, and I took a couple more but they didn't turn out but feel free to take a look at them

Old 07-18-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

IMHO this should be a sticky before it gets lost, theres alot of good info in here compared to alot of other posts
Old 07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opps I forgot to order some bulbs for the HVAC stuff......

Last edited by camar0corey; 07-18-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
IMHO this should be a sticky before it gets lost, theres alot of good info in here compared to alot of other posts
I agree. I wish LEDGauges would see this thread so they can improve their product....
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
I agree. I wish LEDGauges would see this thread so they can improve their product....
What exactly do you get in their "kit?" From what I read all you get is the leds for $35 that you have to solder in place and then on top of that they short you 1 led......mabye someone needs to send them a link. I'm not trying to make ledgauges seem like the bad guy. I have never ordered from them. But they may not know that there are actually 7 bulbs that light the dash. But have been thinking about getting the hvac leds from them, but I might just tear mine apart and see what kind of lights it has and go from there.

But if any mods read this...PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the LED's for my dash in red. It looks so bad ***, I love it. I never would've done it without this thread. I need to order more LED's for the HVAC and auto shifter light. already got the one for the headlight switch. I will get some pictures up tomarrow so whoever reads this thread will have a variety of colors to choose from. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I just did the LED's for my dash in red. It looks so bad ***, I love it. I never would've done it without this thread. I need to order more LED's for the HVAC and auto shifter light. already got the one for the headlight switch. I will get some pictures up tomarrow so whoever reads this thread will have a variety of colors to choose from. Thanks for the info.
If you take your HVAC out of the car please post pics because I'm pretty sure that the bulbs in there aren't replaceable, but you could desolder them out and then solder the LEDs in. But then on the other hand they may have regular bulbs in there. I put my car all back together without even thinking of the HVAC, but thats my next mod....white overlays for the HVAC and headlight control and white LEDs to match the dash That would be pretty badass IMHO
Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

The HVAC control lights are replaceable, one of mine went out that's how I know but the headlight switch I'm not for sure because the bulb is not replaceable and wait till you see how tiny the bulb is... Smallest one I've ever seen. The HVAC bulb is the same that lights your window switches.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by alconk
The HVAC control lights are replaceable, one of mine went out that's how I know but the headlight switch I'm not for sure because the bulb is not replaceable and wait till you see how tiny the bulb is... Smallest one I've ever seen. The HVAC bulb is the same that lights your window switches.
This is pretty easy to do. There are two bulbs that can be replaced with regular LED lights. All I did was crush the bulb and rip it out with needle nose pliers. A regular 5mm LED can be shoved through and is the perfect size that I DOES NOT need to be soldered. I did the same thing to my A4 gear selector.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, I'm just totally new to all this LED stuff. I have a '96 T/A, and would like to put LEDs in the gauge cluster, and maybe the map light & the dome light. If I understand correctly, you only have to change 7 bulbs in the dash, and if you use the twist-locks, you don't have to do anything except take the old locks & bulbs out & put in the new ones, right? And where did you guys say the best place to get the best lights are?? and the HVAC lights & gear selector can be replaced also? with no modifications?? I might tackle this project if I can fully understand everything.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
ok, I'm just totally new to all this LED stuff. I have a '96 T/A, and would like to put LEDs in the gauge cluster, and maybe the map light & the dome light. If I understand correctly, you only have to change 7 bulbs in the dash, and if you use the twist-locks, you don't have to do anything except take the old locks & bulbs out & put in the new ones, right? And where did you guys say the best place to get the best lights are?? and the HVAC lights & gear selector can be replaced also? with no modifications?? I might tackle this project if I can fully understand everything.
Yes it's not too bad. If you do not want to solder anything and a want plug-and-play application get the FORD twist-locks (part # in previous post) and 7 LED 194 style bulbs from the manufacture of your choice. The Gear selector and HVAC ***** use regular 5mm LED's (with appropriate resistor of course).
Old 07-19-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Ok its really hard to take night shots without a tripod with my camera, but this will give you guys an idea. And remember that I used WHITE LEDs, but they light the guage face up blue for some reason. And there is a dark spot at around the 100-120 mph mark, but its not as bad as the pics make it out to be. But here it is, and I took a couple more but they didn't turn out but feel free to take a look at them

The reason the white LED's appear blue is becuase Camaro's have a blue film in the gauges. You might want to check the orientaion of the LED where the dead spot is at.

Mike
Old 07-19-2007, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

If i didn't JUST replace my dash pad i'd be down for this!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Guz
The reason the white LED's appear blue is becuase Camaro's have a blue film in the gauges. You might want to check the orientaion of the LED where the dead spot is at.

Mike
I didn't want to make it seem like I was complaining about it, I wanted a light blue tint and still be able to see the redlines and with the white LEDs you get the redlines and a blue light, so I'm more than happy there. But the blue film is news to me and all of the bulbs are installed correctly and like I said its not as bad as the pics make it out to be. Tonight I drove home and had zero problems with being able to read the cluster. But in the next few weeks I'll be doing white overlays on the HVAC and headlight controls and installing leds in the HVAC control, but I have to get it apart to see what I really need. I also have to replace the lights in my window controls so I may do leds there too, they are cheap enough so what not

Does the HVAC control take regular wedge type bulbs like the guage cluster or are they something else? Also what about the window controls? If anyone has one laying around and can snap some pics quick I'd really appreciate it.....and I wouldn't have to tear my dash apart again
Old 07-20-2007, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

This should definitely be made a sticky, lots of good info in this thread. I just found all the correct smaller twist locks for the 96 WS6 cluster. I'm going to try out a couple of different LED's I purchased for all of the small peripheral lights on the cluster. Thanks for the part# Turnin20's.....

Here is a pic of the WS6 custom cluster I will be converting to all LED.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK guys herea are my gauges. I used red LED's. In the pictures it looks like there are dark spots but thats just the camera. All of the gauges light up evenly I'm very satisfied.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...6/HPIM0168.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...6/HPIM0169.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...6/HPIM0167.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...6/HPIM0166.jpg
and had to sneak this one in
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...6/HPIM0180.jpg
Old 07-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Launching!

I have 7 194 twist sockets for $15 shipped..pm me if interested..I have been performing this mod to local f-bodys for about a year now fo a small fee fo labor.I have plenty of sockets
Old 07-21-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SiDeWaYZz28
I have 7 194 twist sockets for $15 shipped..pm me if interested..I have been performing this mod to local f-bodys for about a year now fo a small fee fo labor.I have plenty of sockets
I managed to find a few extra ones too, but I'm going to use those for my other lights like signal and highbeam and other warning lights. But were you using the ford twistlocks? I know most autoparts stores sell them as the GM replacement to get rid of the soldered bulbs
Old 07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

what about doing the stock radio like on the LEDguages website. I'm interested to see how hard it would be to take apart the radio and do that. I know that some of my lights are out already on my stock head unit so i'd like to replace them.

Jason
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up the twistlocks today, after tax it was $13.73 for 10, as they come in packs of 10. Going to attempt to do mine tommarow.

Any tips for cleaning the bezel? I might as well get it clean while I have it out. Anyone who did this recently have any issues in getting the cluster out? I've pulled a 3rd gen one out but not a 4th gen.

Quick Reply: LEDgauges 6 bulbs?