LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil in intake manifold and blowby through valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and i am with the others, i am possibly thinking of a collapsed or broken ring... as we all know, oil should not be in the combustion chamber. I am thinking that if you did lean it out while in boost, i guess the excessive heat could do some damage?? just thinking about it... ill analyze it in my brain and add some more input later. DAMN YOU ALL FOR GIVING ME SOMETHING TO TEASE MY BRAIN WITH! haha
Old 07-26-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a valid point. When we installed it, we noted that crankcase pressure could be an issue. So we took a passenger's side valve cover, reversed it and put it on the driver's side, and put a breather cap on it venting into the atmosphere. It has never had any blowby until now, which is why it stood out so quickly to me.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLawson86
and i am with the others, i am possibly thinking of a collapsed or broken ring... as we all know, oil should not be in the combustion chamber. I am thinking that if you did lean it out while in boost, i guess the excessive heat could do some damage?? just thinking about it... ill analyze it in my brain and add some more input later. DAMN YOU ALL FOR GIVING ME SOMETHING TO TEASE MY BRAIN WITH! haha
Well, it was not in boost, and it does not appear to be burning oil (at least no clouds of smoke like the old diesels). The oil is in the intake manifold.
Further input is certainly welcome and appreciated.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not a prob man, let me know if i can help.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Do the compression test and let us know what's going on.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:56 AM
TECH Junkie

On the list. Thanks for helping me think through this issue.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Was tinkering around in my engine bay today and noticed the very thin layer of grime on the inside of my TB. How much "blowby" was present in yours?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I ran my finger through it, it was enough to smear from the inside of the tb to the outside, then I had to go wash it off my finger. Very liquidy
(is that a word?) and appeared fresh.
There is definitely oil, I was wiping it off the inside of the pipe that connects to the MAF, there was a small puddle. I checked the entire intake path, from the filter forward to the MAF. It was dry as a bone, except for the connector to the MAF itself.
AFAICT, the only other source it could have come from was the intake manifold itself (I believe).
Old 07-27-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Yikes. Got anything done on it yet?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Not yet. It only oils the MAF under boost, so I believe I am O.K. as long as I don't go into boost. The AutoTap file I sent you was taken after this all started; I can't see any other issues in the data readings.
I am convinced that it is the valves; rings would not blow into the intake manifold, there is no path to do so.
After I put the intake tubing back together, the KRs were all over the place, so I spent some time tracking that down. Got that fixed, looks fine now.
I have been in conversation with another forum member about pulling my heads and getting a valve job. Although I have the room and the tools, I am not totally comfortable tackling this by myself. He also has some new valves that he will sell me, and knows a good shop to send them to for the rework. So I have a path to do this and I feel fairly comfortable that this can get done.
The timing is the only question. I have a list of projects that I really want to finish before tackling this one. I hope to have it fixed by mid-September (fingers crossed).
Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLawson86
That is a very valid point, how is the oil getting into the chamber? The valve seals could be leaking, perhaps? I have seen that happen before, if they harden and/or crack. I will definitely have to do the compression test before I start tearing things apart.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
That is a very valid point, how is the oil getting into the chamber? The valve seals could be leaking, perhaps? I have seen that happen before, if they harden and/or crack. I will definitely have to do the compression test before I start tearing things apart.
Yeah like an old car that's been sitting for a long time. I knew a guy that had an 84 Trans Am and we always joked about stopping at the gas station to fill up with oil and check the gas.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Yeah like an old car that's been sitting for a long time. I knew a guy that had an 84 Trans Am and we always joked about stopping at the gas station to fill up with oil and check the gas.
You hurt my feelings, comparing my wonderful 97 Formula to an obviously inferior 84 TA

But I know what you mean, my first car (58 Ford Fairlane) was one of those. I could always tell my parking space by its markings.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

I was simply referring to deteriorating valve seals. Yeah the ring idea wouldn't put the oil in the intake. It would be a long hard road for oil to get to the intake from the combustion chamber. If it were me, I'd look into picking up some ported heads or having mine done. With boost, never hurts to open up the ports to get some good airflow! Did you pull the plugs yet? Kinda wondering if the chambers had any oil in them.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Not yet, I have been getting ready for a motorcycle rally next week. I'm riding to West Virginia to meet up with a bunch of fellow classic Suzuki GS motorcycle owners.
I'll probably just pull the plugs that are easy to get to; #8 is definitely going to stay put. My cat thinks that I should pull a couple this afternoon, I'll probably listen to her. She usually knows what she is talking about. Especially when it comes to bugs that I let in the house.

The guy I was talking about says the shop he knows about does great porting jobs. I was thinking about at least having the heads port matched with the intake. I know that will help even if I don't open up the ports. He said they also do good 5 angle valve jobs. If I can get it done and get the car back on the road in a couple of weeks, I'll probably take the plunge so I can get some quality driving in during the season.

Quick Reply: Oil in intake manifold and blowby through valve covers