LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ceramic Coated Vs Black finished LT's

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

The black paint is just used so they dont rust in shipping, it isn't ment to be a coating or anything like that.
Old 07-29-2007 | 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Start flaming me if you want but I think the coating is just a waste of $$$. You'll have uncoated headers in a few years anyway.
Old 07-29-2007 | 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

To me, a few years is better than a few months. To each his own, though. No coating lasts forever.
Old 07-29-2007 | 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Personally I wish I had saved the $$$. Now a set of stainless headers is a whole new ballgame. Now those are nice.
Old 07-29-2007 | 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Personally I wish I had saved the $$$. Now a set of stainless headers is a whole new ballgame. Now those are nice.

saved the $$$? how much did you spend? the coating last for years, if you look at like time/money + benifits, really not bad at all.

not sure why you would want a hotter engine bay, and extemely rusty metal just sitting there.
Old 07-30-2007 | 12:33 AM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Getting them coated really isn't about the look as you can really only see the primaries anyway. It's about extending the life of the header and keeping things in your engine bay cooler.
Well, i never had a set of BS black painted headers have any problems, a hair of surface rust, but not enough to talk about.
Old 07-30-2007 | 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlazerINtheWork
saved the $$$? how much did you spend? the coating last for years, if you look at like time/money + benifits, really not bad at all.

not sure why you would want a hotter engine bay, and extemely rusty metal just sitting there.

Whatever the difference in black and ceramic coated Hooker's is, I wish I had saved it. Mine are rusting like hell anyway. I don't drive a showcar, just wanted some headers. The ceramic headers might be slightly cooler, but I honestly don't think it makes much of a difference in output. I'd like to see a back-to-back dyno of coated headers vs. uncoated headers. I bet the difference would be less than the variance of the dyno runs themselves.
Old 07-30-2007 | 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

There probably isn't any difference in power between the two, it's just a preference.
Old 07-30-2007 | 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont cheap out, get the ceramic ones. they are well worth it. black paint will burn off and they will look like pure ***, trust me i cheaped out on my last set of pacesetters.
Old 07-30-2007 | 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with the black painted ones... I wrapped my headers with header wrap and used ceramic black header paint on them before and after the wrap:

Old 07-30-2007 | 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

How's that working out? I kinda wish I had done that.
Old 07-30-2007 | 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So far so good! I have a just 2-3k on it so far, no rust and it looks awesome!
Old 07-30-2007 | 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

header wrap voids most warranties on headers, but the way i see it....whats going to go wrong with headers anyway that a warranty would cover. (once you get them on and sealed)
Old 07-30-2007 | 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scorpion_z28
What HP difference will it make if i get any of them,i never drive my car on a Hot weather,should i go with the normal one & save 150$?
there's absolutely no difference in hp between the two. However what your looking at is the durability and life of both types. I'd never buy a set of noncoated headers unless you plan on doing them relatively soon down the road. My buddy couldn't afford the coated hookers but soon as he could he sent them to jet hot.
Old 07-30-2007 | 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
header wrap voids most warranties on headers, but the way i see it....whats going to go wrong with headers anyway that a warranty would cover. (once you get them on and sealed)
Yeah what good's a warranty on a header? I doubt you could use a warranty for a coating. I had to dent my #1 primary just to clear the steering knuckle--I guess that voided the warranty too.
Old 07-30-2007 | 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by B4CZR2
I went with the black painted ones... I wrapped my headers with header wrap and used ceramic black header paint on them before and after the wrap:

Thats a nice idea,how much did it all cost you?
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought uncoated headers, and got them coated cause the engine bay is hot enough with the engine off here in the desert. i had them coated locally by a company that has a few branches across the country. they were mac mids that i had done for 130.

i switched them out for pacesetter LTs. coated.
Old 07-31-2007 | 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

I got uncoated Hookers then had them sand blasted and coated them with POR-20 High temp coating. Put on a little thick, so it flaked in spots, but still holding up on the primaries, is gone on the collectors. Should have had them sprayed and let cure longer rather than brushed on myself.
Old 07-31-2007 | 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I'd like to see a back-to-back dyno of coated headers vs. uncoated headers.
Originally Posted by Bones Z28
there's absolutely no difference in hp between the two.
Well, we can all agree that cooler is better.
Maybe at first thier isn't much difference, but painted headers are junk IMO unless its a strict track toy, and even then I would get coated/stainless.

With painted headers, you get MUCH more heat. And after awhile, the crappy paint wears off making the already hot running headers even hotter.

Not only is this hurting youu HP numbers, it can damage other parts and sooner or later youre going to have to take them off and replace them/coat them anyways.
I can't even begin to explain how many people I have seen get Painted headers only to swap them out a year later.
Its a temptation that needs to be restrained.

You can say all you want about wrapping the headers, and what not, but the simple fact is, High Temp Coated Headers run cooler and help your engine get more power then painted, whether the difference is drastic or not. They last longer, they look better, and they are plain and simple the better buy.

If youre in the market for headers, Jet Hot LT's are a great choice, because Jet Hot coats both the inside and out of thier headers, unlike Pacesetter who only coats the outside, and thier 'Sterling' coating is proven to last several years.
I'm not against painted headers, but I am not for them either.
Coated or Stainless is the way to go.
Old 07-31-2007 | 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scorpion_z28
Thats a nice idea,how much did it all cost you?
About 4 hours and almost as much money as the coated ones. You need to buy the headers (285) then you will need 2 50' rolls of the wrap which is about 84 bucks then the stainless steel ties which are about 8 bucks. So I spent 380 on my headers. And for that price you could just buy the coated headers for 50 bucks more. I wanted to be different. And the coating does come off over time and start to not look so nice when they do. My friend has the coated headers on his LT1 and has been on there for 3 years now. They are stating to get rust spots in areas aound the welds and edges of the flanges. SO BOTTOM LINE IS NOTHING WILL LAST FOREVER. But I thought I would give this a try since I haven't seen it done before.

Last edited by B4CZR2; 07-31-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coated Vs Black finished LT's