LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ceramic Coated Vs Black finished LT's

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think rust is an issue for those living close to shores & Humid places,or else others will not have problems.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Not to get off topic but, I bought a set of pacesetter quick trip lt's coated. Just want to know why they weld the primaries on the inside? I would think thats a restriction having a 1 3/4 primary with a 1 1/4 opening due to the welds. Why dont they weld them on the outside so its a true 1 5/8 opening stepped to the 1 3/4 primary? I currently have a set of coated 1 5/8 bbk shorty's and they are welded on the outside!!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Not to get off topic but, I bought a set of pacesetter quick trip lt's coated. Just want to know why they weld the primaries on the inside? I would think thats a restriction having a 1 3/4 primary with a 1 1/4 opening due to the welds. Why dont they weld them on the outside so its a true 1 5/8 opening stepped to the 1 3/4 primary? I currently have a set of coated 1 5/8 bbk shorty's and they are welded on the outside!!

I'm sure it is faster and easier, hence cheaper for them to weld on the inside, rather than welding around the outside of each primary tube.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
There's way too much BS in this thread. I've had non coated headers that lasted longer than a lot of the posters who say not to use them have had a drivers license. Coated headers didn't even start to become popular until the last five or ten years. What do you people think we did before that? Some people in here try to make it sound like non coated headers will rust away the first time you get caught in the rain..LOL.

If someone just has plenty of money to drop or is the kind of person who likes to polish their car up and go set around a parking lot with the hood up then by all means, don't waste money on non coated headers. Personally, I rank show cars right up there with dyno queens. For someone like me that's building a budget car for performance purposes and doesn't give a rats *** what the headers look like, coated headers would be a huge waste of money.
I like that, well put!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My average engine compartment temps dropped 50 degrees after I put on ceramic coated headers. I know because I have an extra temp sensor hooked up to my Holley EFI and it shows up on all my datalogs. Well worth it - everything lives longer and runs better 50 degrees cooler.

Even if I went stainless I would coat them.

My local coating shop can do a matte grey or matte black (both very flat) that's good up to 1800 degrees F, while the standard silver is only good to 1500. I chose the matte grey for my supercharger piping - you can see the dark grey pipe above my motor at my site.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html
Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Default Lt Coat

All Depends On What Ur Budget Is Man Coated Looks Better There Is No Performance Diff In Coated And Not As Far As I Know, I Have Had Both Got Coated Now Cuz I Got A Good Deal On Them And U Can Get Black Ones Coated For Around $100 At Top Line Power Coating And Still Be Cheaper Than Jet Hots Or A Million Dollar Headers Lol!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea - I didn't think to check if the black or grey ceramic coating was cheaper than the silver. And I agree, most local coating or plating shops have this technology now, so way cheaper than Jet-Hot, find out their guarantee though.

Jim

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coated Vs Black finished LT's