LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

torque converter questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
i didnt think the converter would have a big effect on hp or tq? i was thinking more like 60 foot times. i forgot to mention that its is not a bad mod if u just like the feel of a high stall. i think its kinda fun for a weekend car.
Nah, that was 100% stock. You are correct, sort of. It doesn't show gains, depending on the type of converter, and what it does, what type of power you are making, and all the other little variables, but it is hard to dyno a stalled auto 100% correct. This was just showing where my stock dyno was at ... LT1's have one hell of a torque curve, and that is what gets them off the line so well, and why a 3,000+ stall really makes a difference, even in a non-cammed LT1. You are peaked into the TQ, and because you are out of that low HP lag area, you are in the power sooner, and longer, which helps a ton. I am sure I am beating a dead horse telling you this, but I figured I would inform those who do not know.

Originally Posted by 93 blackformy
Titter, is that with a 3200 stall u mentioned earlier?....stalls make an A4 hella fun or funner to drive also.
That was with the stock 1800 stall, flowmaster, and no cats. My car made gobs of TQ, the HP was lacking though ... for whatever reason.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by titter
Nah, that was 100% stock. You are correct, sort of. It doesn't show gains, depending on the type of converter, and what it does, what type of power you are making, and all the other little variables, but it is hard to dyno a stalled auto 100% correct. This was just showing where my stock dyno was at ... LT1's have one hell of a torque curve, and that is what gets them off the line so well, and why a 3,000+ stall really makes a difference, even in a non-cammed LT1. You are peaked into the TQ, and because you are out of that low HP lag area, you are in the power sooner, and longer, which helps a ton. I am sure I am beating a dead horse telling you this, but I figured I would inform those who do not know.
all good stuff except one thing... which i might be wrong. the cars acceleration curve is going to follow very closly to the torque curve. so you are really trying to get to the torque range, not the hp
Old 07-29-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
all good stuff except one thing... which i might be wrong. the cars acceleration curve is going to follow very closly to the torque curve. so you are really trying to get to the torque range, not the hp
99.9% correct. Here is an excellent article ... and even uses the LT1 corvette in a few of its comparisons.

http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylo...ginePower.html

Last edited by titter; 07-29-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: torque converter questions