LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

self alingning vs non-self alingning RR

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007 | 05:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

How about Crane's Gold RR ive heard soo many people like running them?
Old 08-10-2007 | 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO aluminum RRs do not belong on a daily driver, only on a race car.

Buy some steel ones, its a long explanation as to why I prefer the steel, but a short version would be fatigue or endurance limit of the material and I have seen quite a few Aluminum (including the gold race) crack on the bottom of the fulcrum.

Friends dont let friends use aluminum RRs haha
Old 08-10-2007 | 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Not to mention that the Comp pro mags weigh less than the aluminum ones. I'm hoping that my SA pro mags will be alright, guess I will discuss that with whoever I have cut the custom cam I will want, if I will need NSA or not.
Old 08-10-2007 | 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I run SA Crane Gold Race 1.6rrs without any problems, with a fairly decent lift cam, a custom grind similar to the 306 but with more intake lift and less duration. It is also a daily driver.

I do not need to spin past 6100 though, but they have held up fine to tons of abuse. I wouldnt trust the "budget" proform/summit aluminum rockers, but crane pieces are top notch.
Old 08-10-2007 | 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

So i guess if i want to spin past 6000 i should go with NSA pro mag.?
Old 08-10-2007 | 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
I run SA Crane Gold Race 1.6rrs without any problems, with a fairly decent lift cam, a custom grind similar to the 306 but with more intake lift and less duration. It is also a daily driver.

I do not need to spin past 6100 though, but they have held up fine to tons of abuse. I wouldnt trust the "budget" proform/summit aluminum rockers, but crane pieces are top notch.
I bet money that those cheap aluminum ones you refer to are made by crane by use of private labeling
Old 08-11-2007 | 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With the right springs, proper pushrods, CC NSA promags and good guide plates and you should have years of trouble free operation.

Guide plates are easy to install.

So are the rockers

Best thing is they fit under my stock valve covers with a .6xx lift cam.

Old 08-11-2007 | 10:16 AM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

I use roller tip rockers, i would use aluminom full rollers if i wanted to, but i rag the hell outta mine and as said above i dont want a roller cracking out and about driving.
Old 08-11-2007 | 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I bet money that those cheap aluminum ones you refer to are made by crane by use of private labeling
I do not think so, I've had proforms and they are not only a different shape where the fulcrum turns into the tip, but the roller tip has much more side to side play in it then the cranes do.

When a lifter came apart, one of the proforms were toasted - tip filed down from the valve stem. That one was not the fault of the rocker, but when I took em all out out a few random ones had the metal showing right where the arm connects to the body from where they moved a bit and barely rubbed the springs.

Last edited by Puck; 08-11-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2007 | 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aboatguy
With the right springs, proper pushrods, CC NSA promags and good guide plates and you should have years of trouble free operation.

Guide plates are easy to install.

So are the rockers

Best thing is they fit under my stock valve covers with a .6xx lift cam.

What are those valve springs you're using??
Old 08-14-2007 | 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Puck
I do not think so, I've had proforms and they are not only a different shape where the fulcrum turns into the tip, but the roller tip has much more side to side play in it then the cranes do.

When a lifter came apart, one of the proforms were toasted - tip filed down from the valve stem. That one was not the fault of the rocker, but when I took em all out out a few random ones had the metal showing right where the arm connects to the body from where they moved a bit and barely rubbed the springs.
I'm starting to see why Captainofiron is touting the steel. I can see what you mean too.
Attached Thumbnails self alingning vs non-self alingning RR-aluminumsucks.jpg  
Old 08-14-2007 | 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by scorpion_z28
How about Crane's Gold RR ive heard soo many people like running them?

i had ran the crane gold RR's and they were NSA, they were rated as being too heavy of a rocker and mess with the valve train geometry. I converted to harland sharp NSA RR's, they seem to be a very solid buy, and you arent paying ridiculous prices for the name.
Old 08-14-2007 | 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by moserman
i had ran the crane gold RR's and they were NSA, they were rated as being too heavy of a rocker and mess with the valve train geometry. I converted to harland sharp NSA RR's, they seem to be a very solid buy, and you arent paying ridiculous prices for the name.
How much are they??& do i have to use guide plates with them??
I dont think you have them at LS1Speed.

Quick Reply: self alingning vs non-self alingning RR