LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

headers and y pipe installed, but as usual...problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile headers and y pipe installed, but as usual...problems

ok. It's on, but one header bolt wouldn thread in correctly, my brake light is on, which is odd because I doubt i touched anything to do with the ebrake and obviously the ses light because I cut on of the reaer o2 sensors and the other one is dangling along the ground, which I am also going to cut. The header install is the most pain in the *** project I have ever done on a car, but when it first started up...awesome. Right now it's an open y-pipe with the stock exhaust still bolted on the car by hangers, but not connected to the y-pipe. We ran out of light and had to do the o2 wiring extensions that came with the pacestter headers and one of those wires is dangling on the ground. So, I still got a bit of work. and... my oil dipstick tube broke off, so my friend put gum there to plug it for now. what should I do about that??

What should I do about the header bolt that wouldn't go all the way down?? I am worried about a leak occuring and those bolts are a bitch. Man...

So far no leaks at the headers that I could see or hear, but I know I gotta tighten them down again. Also, I didn't plug up the egr on the intake yet, so I gotta do that tomorrow.

On a side note. The car sounds beastly and as much more power up top. It doesn't die out like it used to past 4500 rpm. It made me pull on my friends souped up wrx. he usually pulls on me until I hit 4th gear, but now in second I intantly started pulling away. I am definitely in ls1 territory now.

Last edited by ryanisfast; 08-22-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Launching!

You should have ran the same size tap through the bolt hole when you had the header off the car. What side is the header bolt not going in? I had to do that twice with my Jet hot intall.

Headers on my car was a HUGE PITA. But the customer service at Jet hot was horrid also. It took 3 weeks to fully complete my car because I was waiting for parts from Jet Hot. I don't think I will do business with them again.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Also I got to loud of exhuast ticket the otherday because I gave half throttle thru intersection. :doh: Cops was a ******* dick too. He also got me for front plate. what a POS
Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, my shortys were a nightmare but i got all the bolts in, did you get them all in the torque them down or torque them as you intstalled them? If you dont put them all on then torque it then you can put a bolt or two in a bind.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95camaroz28
You should have ran the same size tap through the bolt hole when you had the header off the car. What side is the header bolt not going in? I had to do that twice with my Jet hot intall.

Headers on my car was a HUGE PITA. But the customer service at Jet hot was horrid also. It took 3 weeks to fully complete my car because I was waiting for parts from Jet Hot. I don't think I will do business with them again.
The bolt is in the passenger side second to last bolt toward the firewall. What is a tap and what does is do?? My friend said something about that too. also, will I be ok running the car with that bolt loose but all others tightened for a few days, until I can figure it out??

I fixed the o2 wiring and I think I lucked out with the spark plug wires. None of them are touching the headers. At least I don't think they are. I also capped off the egr opening in the back of the intake that sucks exahaust from the manifold. Yeah... all together it took about 8 hours to do, but it still isn't done right.

The one other main thing is the oil dipstck tube.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryanisfast
The bolt is in the passenger side second to last bolt toward the firewall. What is a tap and what does is do?? My friend said something about that too. also, will I be ok running the car with that bolt loose but all others tightened for a few days, until I can figure it out??

I fixed the o2 wiring and I think I lucked out with the spark plug wires. None of them are touching the headers. At least I don't think they are. I also capped off the egr opening in the back of the intake that sucks exahaust from the manifold. Yeah... all together it took about 8 hours to do, but it still isn't done right.

The one other main thing is the oil dipstck tube.
I tap is a tool used to make threads in holes, they are kinda of sharp and can clean out threads and straighten them out if they have messed up threads... good luck with the one you are trying to get at..... Also Get new dip stick... where is part of the old one?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, running with loose bolts causes busted gaskets, good luck with the dipstick tube removal.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

yeah, thanks guys. I also got my lights off. the only one on now is the ses light, but that's expected. I reset the gauge fuse and the pcm fuse. I think when I started it up the first time after the install I was on jackstands and I had it in gear when I revved and it screwed stuff up, but it's good now. The car feels gutless below 3k rpm, but man it screams up top now. Sounds like a race car.lol.