LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how good are the LT1's vs LS1's

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
So am I a LS1 nut hugger too...lol

I must have missed the part about the car being messed up. Money is a factor, that's a given. If the LT1 is a M6, go with that, not with a beat on LS1.
If it was a track toy, I'd rather have the A4.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

up to you man, each car has it's problem. Yes LT1 cars have the opti issue, but if you upgrade to the msd or delteq and replace the water pump you'll forget you even had one. The opti is actaully a very accurate design many people think this is old technology but truthfully coilpacks have been around longer than the optis. It's just that GM decided to go this route with the LT1 (have to experiment somewhere).

And truthfully what gave the opti the bad rep was the early models that didn't have the ventilation system. 95 and later models came with the ventilation system which would vent out the extra moisture that would collect in the optispark.

As for LS1s gm had an issue with piston slap in late 90's. Check this out.
pistonslap

I didn't post this to start a war, but just goes to show you that each car has problems of it's own. Personally i hate body work unless it's an aftermarket modification that i choose to do but that's me. Just wanted to show you both sides.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
And there are how many of us that build what we got..I did the research on mine to get the parts that I have. And I guarantee it will rape your friend's cars and leave them cryin in a corner..
Isnt your car beyond a stock bottom end LS1?? Apples and oranges, if you know who HPD is here in Houston, they did the cars i am speaking of, if there is anyone better with a LS1 than Steven Farriday then it is not by much, the others i see are not stock bottom end LS1s on 93 octane, i am just telling you what i have seen, i have seen a couple in the 450RWHP area, but few and far between, but 500 RWHP h/c, i have never seen this on 93 octane. Sorry to many people get in their feelings because i done believe everything i read, some people might be gullible and believe what people post wherever, get you feelings off your chest, who cares if i have not seen 500RWHP on a stock bottom end H/C LS1, i was just giving my piece of knowledge and i get shot at, cannot see why so many people get whiny and ****. 500 RWHP would be 550 flywheel HP, no ******* way with a LS1 that is daily driven on pump gas, now with no accessories, higher compression, solid roller...ect, **** yea, but i would have to see it for myself on a DD on 93. I am sure this will get in more feelings.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 AM
In-Zane Moderator

BTW, HPD is no longer there, it has changed, but anyone that knows who they are will tell you, and if you post on this site you should know.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i skipped the last few pages to offer this...

stock, the LS1 has better heads, intake, and ignition. other then that there is no real advantage.

the only reason i am going to an LSx style of engine is because of the after-market. plain and simple. i don't know what GM was trying to do with the weird opti and reverse cooling (pontiac quit that back in the early 60's). but it pretty much separated the LT1 from the largest after-market cash cow present in hot rodding today (small block chevy). and the after-market just didn't follow. but for some reason they went nuts over the LSx platform. and its still growing (psst...L92).

being a traditional Pontiac lover, i have had to struggle with a limited choice of parts. it has made me a better engine builder because of it, but, i am not going through this again. thats why i am ditching the LT1. i will always have my traditional Pontiacs, but now, i will have an engine that will make the numbers i want as well. and dude, making the number on these engines is easier then choosing between the fat chick, or her skinny friend.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 AM
In-Zane Moderator

It is a completly better desighn, that is all there is to it.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXNV
but for some reason they went nuts over the LSx platform. and its still growing (psst...L92).
X2...
BTW..that is pretty much now known as the LS3..
Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
Why don't you go buy one as well since you're among the LS1 nut huggers.
I'd actually prefer to have both

I'm not a nut hugger, I'm just don't have blinders as to which is the superior platform to start with.

Using examples such as a very lightweight LT1 don't help your case any, it just makes you look foolish. Most bolt-on LT1's can't even kick, scream, or crawl their way out of mid 13's...

I also went 12's w/ bolt-ons in a full weight car, but it's *not* the norm...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just look at all the race times
bolt on Ls1 based engines are similar to head and cam Lt1s
build what you like.i drive an Lt1 every day in my 96 but the one i will be racing is an Ls base. think about it $4$ you cannot go wrong either way you go its still chevy!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

since 96' i have owned a
95' 383/th400 lt1/lt4/n20
95' t60 turbo m6 355 lt1
98 z28
01 ws6
02 ss
LS1 hands down, imo its alot more exp. to go fast in a lt1.
the ls1 aftermarket and oem is tremendous.
6.0 blocks with cranks proven to 1000hp
with 330 cfm heads stock less than 1000$
nuff said
Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I've had 2 LS1's, a 98 Z28 (sold) and my girl's 2K T/A. The LS1 is an awesome motor, but I don't know of too many LS1's around here that can keep up with my blown 383 LT1. Both motors are awesome, but what I love about my LT1 is the sound and the torque. ( and the blower whine ).
Old 08-30-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Buy the LT1 take the motor out put a LSX IN!

I had to have a TA . Anyone and there mom knows a LS1 stock vs LT1 stock LS1 makes more power. But, I hate t-tops, had to get a hardtop there are no TA 's LS1's without t-tops. It is all about what you like. I wish I had an LS motor but not there body. I am gonna put a LS2 in mine 1 day.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

its all in the heads on the ls1s.... that all there is too it. that is what is better on them.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

LSX is flat out a better motor, no matter how you slice it!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NemeSS
LS1 hands down, imo its alot more exp. to go fast in a lt1.
Wow, how can you say that if you've owned that many 4th gens, i'm in awe because someone that deep into 4th gens would say something that naive.

Your LS1 is about 3k plus more versus the LT1. Now if you stick 3k into the LT1 (using the money difference) that LT1 will kick the **** out the stock LS1 (naturally).

That's what i'm getting at. (NOT YOU PERSONALLY) But everyone always cries over the idea that LT1s cost so much more to mod when in reality LT1 owners paid less for there car. Either there broke *** mother fers and there whining about what it takes to play with the big boys or there just trying to go sper cheap. (which if that's the case get the **** out of here and in a honda). Nothing is cheap, LS1/LT1 etc...

If you put the difference in price lets say a 5k LT1 versus a 8500 LS1 that 3500 that goes into the LT1 will be the faster car hands down. I'm just tired of people not putting this into consideration. It all depends on what you want to put your money into. Personally if i could afford it i'd drop all of this nonsense and buy myself a Z06 LOL.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
its all in the heads on the ls1s.... that all there is too it. that is what is better on them.
Well that's not quite all there is. The intake is much better too, and the ignition setup.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones Z28
Wow, how can you say that if you've owned that many 4th gens, i'm in awe because someone that deep into 4th gens would say something that naive.

Your LS1 is about 3k plus more versus the LT1. Now if you stick 3k into the LT1 (using the money difference) that LT1 will kick the **** out the stock LS1 (naturally).

That's what i'm getting at. (NOT YOU PERSONALLY) But everyone always cries over the idea that LT1s cost so much more to mod when in reality LT1 owners paid less for there car. Either there broke *** mother fers and there whining about what it takes to play with the big boys or there just trying to go sper cheap. (which if that's the case get the **** out of here and in a honda). Nothing is cheap, LS1/LT1 etc...

If you put the difference in price lets say a 5k LT1 versus a 8500 LS1 that 3500 that goes into the LT1 will be the faster car hands down. I'm just tired of people not putting this into consideration. It all depends on what you want to put your money into. Personally if i could afford it i'd drop all of this nonsense and buy myself a Z06 LOL.
i broke it down and when i first got my 95 z28, i did not pay 5k$ for it more like 12k$ and it was a yr. and a half old. a SAM grad. built my 383lt4 engine.
that was about 4k$ iirc and i was not happy with results so i installed a holley tb spacer nos thing. and the went with th400. and some 12 bolt that came of 3rd gen. modified for the 95' pretty much bolted up. had to pay LPE 700$ for
mail order tune. plus inj. misc.

since i was a diesel mech for some time, i built my own turbo kit with a holset h1e. a low perf. diesel version of a t3 t60 if u will. had to use a 12:1 fmu, that never really ran right under boost, and had to use msd box and coil
kept killing opti's - no information was really available at the time, so i didnt know any better- this was for the second 95 z28 which was a m6.
blew the stock motor, rebuilt stock motor sold car.

got a 98' som z28 in late 98' never looked back

perhaps u are not familiar with the lsx in general, i assume that when ls1 is
used, all of its derivatives and variations are included.

a 6.0 block with crank are now very low priced, ported lt1 heads would be doing good to flow at a stock 243 ls6 head, let alone a l92 head.
the pistons are about the same for both, even sbc rods can be used in a ls1
if available.
machine work is about the same for both,as is trans., susp. etc.
and the main killer of the lt engines is the intake manifolds and lack thereof
and the tuning aids,equipment
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
I'd actually prefer to have both
I'm not a nut hugger, I'm just don't have blinders as to which is the superior platform to start with.

Using examples such as a very lightweight LT1 don't help your case any, it just makes you look foolish. Most bolt-on LT1's can't even kick, scream, or crawl their way out of mid 13's...

I also went 12's w/ bolt-ons in a full weight car, but it's *not* the norm...
Mid 13s with bolt-ons? LMAO, when some have achieved that bone stock.
I never said LT1 was a more superior platform. I agree that it was well designed and will make more power than the LT1 stock for stock, but once you start serious engine work, it's an engine builders game then.
You thinking 12s with bolt ons in an LT1 is not the norm is completely dumb. Have you ever been to or participated in a bolt on LT1 shootout? I have and have hours of video footage to prove how mid 12s are the average for bolt on LT1s. How can you own an LT1 and put them down so much? Florida has a decent DA, but heat must be a factor why you think 12s are not normal for bolt on LT1s. I don't know what the condtions are in FL, but here in VA, they are many 12 second bolt on LT1s that are not tin cans, including mine. And the fastest N/A LT1 record is also held by a man in VA too, Joe Overton. And if I'm not mistaken , the stock bottom end LT1 record (10s in the 1/4!!!!) is also held by a VA man(quickshotkimber). He may be from MD. Must be a heat factor or something, but obviously is not up here.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

i have ran 13.6 at 101mph with only longtubes and true duals..... 12's is def possible with full bolt on's
Old 08-30-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

this is starting to sound like a 15 year old debate,the tpi guys fighting with the Lt1 guys,now the Lt1 is trying to defend its worthyness.its called technology,thank goodness we have it!

Quick Reply: how good are the LT1's vs LS1's