LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New day new problem: radiator fan not coming on

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New day new problem: radiator fan not coming on

I was driving through the grocery parking lot last nite when I saw the check guage light come on. I looked over and the temp was @ 240. I thought it was wierd because my Coolant level light lit up the day before so I chcked to make sure it had coolant and it did. Well when I start driving the car the temp immediately drops to around 180 until I stop and it climbs sharply. I checked to see if the fan would ever click on and it didnt. I took the a/c comp. relay out which I know is good and swapped with the fan slots for 1, 2 and 3 and it still didnt click over. Checked the 10amp for the fan as well and still a no-go.
I guess what I'm asking is what do I need to do to troubleshoot this problem yet? I really only drive the car a short distance from my apartment to work and theres only 2 lights so I'm going to drive the car and hope I don't have to sit at those lights long.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you test the fans to see if they work? wire it to the battery and see if it engages. I recently just had that problem too and checked my 10 amp fuse and it popped for some reason but if you checked then that eliminates that possibility.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

aye. make sure the fans themselves work. if they dont, then they can be shorted out and pop that fuse.

also, make sure you have no air pockets in your coolant, have you drained/filled it recently?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a SES light, the fans should come on. And if you turn the AC on, it will force the fans on. If you do this, and still have no fans, check the fuses wiring and fans themselves.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smoknta
If you have a SES light, the fans should come on. And if you turn the AC on, it will force the fans on. If you do this, and still have no fans, check the fuses wiring and fans themselves.
When I turn the A/C Fan on I only see one fan engage. Fuses are good.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the '95 you can jumper terminals A+B on the ALDL diagnostic port inside the car. Soon as you jumper them (with ignition on, not running) it should kick the fans on. If it does, then all wiring, fuses, relays, etc. are good and it points toward PCM control.

My guess is air got in the system when you checked the level.

Sara Lou

Quick Reply: New day new problem: radiator fan not coming on