LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

running a 52mm tb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get forced induction. That's where it spawned from, high altitudes and engines starving for air. Mind you, this was in planes, not cars, but us crazy people always find a way to get one thing working for another
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
To make me a believer it would have to be back to back runs with as much detail as possible (coolant temp, A/F ratio, etc.). And no cooling fan running in front of the car.
I do not have a my stock TB dynos anymore and I already mentioned they were not same day dynos

I have never seen a dyno not use the front cooling fan, on LT1 or not. Loading the engine without cooling it like it would be naturally doesnt seem like a good idea to me - I sure wouldnt let them do it with my car.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
I have never seen a dyno not use the front cooling fan, on LT1 or not. Loading the engine without cooling it like it would be naturally doesnt seem like a good idea to me - I sure wouldnt let them do it with my car.
When I dyno I pay very close attention to the engine temp and try to do all tests within a few degrees. My fan and electric water pump are on manual switches. The engine cooling system takes care of itself.
Placing a large fan blowing cooler denser air into the intake tract can often lead to misleading dyno results. I try to eliminate every variable that I can. Maybe that's why I don't get those great dyno numbers that I always read on here?

Take Care,

Daren
Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
When I dyno I pay very close attention to the engine temp and try to do all tests within a few degrees. My fan and electric water pump are on manual switches. The engine cooling system takes care of itself.
Placing a large fan blowing cooler denser air into the intake tract can often lead to misleading dyno results. I try to eliminate every variable that I can. Maybe that's why I don't get those great dyno numbers that I always read on here?

Take Care,

Daren
I guess it would slightly inflate the numbers. I doubt its why your numbers arent like those impressive ones always posted - I always use the front fan and am still trying to find out why my combo comes up short compared to most posted numbers on forums...yet runs faster times???
Old 09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like I said, I would assume they use that not just for cooling purposes, but for simulation purposes as well. If I was you, I'd run 2 with and 2 with out. Both after the car is up to operating temp.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Like I said, I would assume they use that not just for cooling purposes, but for simulation purposes as well. If I was you, I'd run 2 with and 2 with out. Both after the car is up to operating temp.
I appreciate the input, but in my opinion a dyno is only good for getting a base tune and for testing parts. The absolute best test station is the drag strip (or where you intend to run the vehicle). After a dyno session I generally data-log some passes and make A/F adjustments. There is no way that you can simulate racing conditions with a fan due to the difference in vehicle speed in real world driving situations. I also log and adjust my tune for changes in DA.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
I think he's pulling out the "Rule of the Internet" card. "Pics, or you're lying". Or in this case, a link with said dyno sheet/results. I'm not sure if ws6.com/org/net (whatever) has a TB dyno.
what are you running with those mods in your sig? i really dont care about dynos cuz i dont race dynos.
but heres some number for ya
cat back exhaust, cat delete,stock exhaust manifolds,2800 stall with stock 2.73 gears, full weight on 17" ss wheels/nittos
12.92@105.9. That was my car and those were my mods just because you drop $400 on a pointless T/B and some injectors dosent mean you going to go fast. I put a 52mm T/B on after those mods and didnt pick up a .5mph or a even .1, as a matter of fact it did absolutly nothing.
Judging by his mods 1.6 roller rockers would be money much better spent

Quick Reply: running a 52mm tb?