LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Singal plane help need guys..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The guys I have been talking to are at LEAST as sharp as anybody on this board, and tested on engine dynos where cam changes just take a few minutes, and have plenty of camshafts to test. Btw, my Hogan intake has almost exactly the same length runners as the Super Vic. If I can get my hands on one it will be an interesting comparison. My Hogan sheet metal intake cost $2600.00, not much more than it sounds like one of these conversions would cost in the end.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any pics of this set up ?????
Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

subscribing.

What are all options when it comes to single plane/sheetmetal
intakes?
AFAIK it's just Hogan, and StrokerAce.

Anyone know of a shop or individual in South/Central TX with
any experience building these?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Port Pro's did mine, Tony Shepherds and OutlawZ as well as many others.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:43 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Question for you Mr. Ed Wright:

You have the Hogan, I'll assume one made specifically for LT1 engines.

Looking at the overall height, does it fit without modifing the cowl? What throttle body are you running?

Thanks...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

wow that is the hottest thing i have ever seen i want one
Old 10-29-2007, 01:28 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Question for you Mr. Ed Wright:

You have the Hogan, I'll assume one made specifically for LT1 engines.

Looking at the overall height, does it fit without modifing the cowl? What throttle body are you running?

Thanks...
It barely fits. I have to use a stock TB in Super Stock classes.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by RedLT4Mike
subscribing.

What are all options when it comes to single plane/sheetmetal
intakes?
AFAIK it's just Hogan, and StrokerAce.

Anyone know of a shop or individual in South/Central TX with
any experience building these?
I would suggest converting your heads to accept the SBC intake bolt pattern rather than converting the intake to the LT1 Head pattern.

This lets you use any SBC manifold in the future, and reduces cost.

My heads were already converted so I don't have that cost. But this is a quote I put together for a customer.
Vic-E Manifold $325.95
Fuel Rails $79.90
Fuel Fittings/regulator $375.01
Elbow $300.
Nitrous Spray bars $250
Total $1330.86

With our elbow there is no need to buy a new TB and fabricate TB cable brackets and a new throttle cable, as it reuses the OEM pieces. We are also making a small adjustment to the design to try and get it to clear a stock non-cowl hood.

There might be a few small vacuum fitting I left out but this will be pretty close to everything needed to convert over to a single plane
Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Ray, would you have a pic of your setup, that you're talking about?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Ray, would you have a pic of your setup, that you're talking about?
page1/2 has pics......i ordered my from Ray a few weeks back, they had to make...it needs to be a little thicker for all the boost its going to take
Old 10-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

OK, here are some pics of the 2 intakes side by side (4150 vs. 4500 flange)

4150:

4500:

side by side:

The World is a nice piece. It already has material on it for injectors, they just have to be drilled. My builder says that the larger cubic inch small blocks seem to like them a little bit better over the Super Vic. Yes, I am going to have one of them converted, can you guess which one?
Wilson does make a 90* to 4500 flange.

Nick

Last edited by NJLT1SS; 12-21-2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: fix URL's
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJLT1SS
OK, here are some pics of the 2 intakes side by side (4150 vs. 4500 flange)

4150:

4500:

side by side:

The World is a nice piece. It already has material on it for injectors, they just have to be drilled. My builder says that the larger cubic inch small blocks seem to like them a little bit better over the Super Vic. Yes, I am going to have one of them converted, can you guess which one?
Wilson does make a 90* to 4500 flange.

Nick

That was what I was thinking about till I came along the brodix intake I found.

When getting a new elbow I would get the 90 -105mm one too.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Hey OutlawZ, nice lookin stuff you got there. What intake is that? What happened to the thermostat housing? What do you do to get air into that throttle body?

Thanks...

Old 11-04-2007, 03:06 PM
hashtagBMW

Its a Victor E with a shaved thermostat housing.

Tony.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OK, so what type of setup does it have to feed air into the throttle body?

I'm considering this setup. I have a ram air hood and I'd like it all to fit. I was looking at the carb elbows like what Pro Chargers uses.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:08 PM
hashtagBMW

Its a 4150 Accufab 4-barrel unit.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OK guys, I found in another thread the manifold that OutlawZ had converted.

Hey Speed Density, OK, it’s a Accufab TB, it says it right there on it. I’m asking about what Outlawz has on it as far as air filter, intake ducting, hood, etc. Are you a bud of Outlawz? I see he’s in California and you’re in Idaho. Do you have first knowledge of this car and it’s build? If not, these questions are kinda for him........ (not trying to be a wise-*** here, just trying to get some questions answered....)
Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jakesz28
I still like this if you mill off the water neck and use a nitrous plate.

I want this!!!!
Who is this elbow from? What is the PN?
Does anyone have any experiences with this piece?

Last edited by RedLT4Mike; 11-04-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: word
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

Sorry Paul that I took awhile to answer the questions as I haven't been on in a bit due to work...

Thanks for the compliments first off.... Speed Density doesnt live near me but he's been tracking the buildup as I've been doing it on here so hell he probably knows almost as much as anybody about it....

The Manifold is a converted Victor E that had the water neck cut off on a lathe, smoothed down with a grinder and then welded until it looked smooth. My engine builder is a friggin artist with a tig welder (as you can plainly see)... It does nothing for performance whatsoever it just looks sick as **** and since LT1's don't use that crossover removing it is just personal taste. As my engine guy is a perfectionist and this engine is sort of a rolling business card for him he decided to do it and not charge me for the work. (I have a small sponsorship deal with him)....

As far as the induction setup which is probably the first question you had I have a few options but i'll tell you which i've chosen and why. First option is I can just leave it like it is, put a small air filter on it and call it a day. Unfortunately they don't make an air cleaner I like or that will flow enough CFM to support this motor. And the motor will be pulling it hotter underhood air if I leave it like it is (It works just like a carbuerator so it'll work if I wanted it to).....

Now onto the problems with that setup. I have a FAST XFI Standalone setup. It has an IAT sensor for intake air temp. I can plumb this into the air filter in the back if I wanted to. However this can cause some problems that I would rather not deal with (like removing it every time i want to get to the throttle body) and the fact that the throttle body will still be sucking hot air from under the hood. So what we have decided to do is to purchase a blow thru carburator hat from ATI procharger designed for use when a car with a carb wants to use a blower. It's like a chrome cover that has a tube sticking off to the side and uses hose ends to connect stuff to it. We are going to fabricate a 3.5" tube coming off the intake hat at 45 degrees pointing towards the passengers side headlight.... The tube will bend down and go down into where the coolant overflow tank used to be (I've relocated that). We are also fabricating an aluminum plate that will seperate the air filter from the engine bay (the filter will be a 9" conical K&N that will mount to the end of the tube and sit underneath the car in that compartment behind the passenger side headlight) A setup similar to the original cold air induction only on the pass side instead of the drivers and made with aluminum tubing instead of cheap plastic.... hope this helps. I'll get pics when it's done. the car is getting ready to go down to the race shop to have all the fab work done and get the wiring handled....
Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thanks outlaw, it’s really good of you to post all this info. I mentioned above that I was wondering about the Pro Charger carb elbow, I’m thinking along your lines. However, I’m leaning more towards the elbow just posted above by redlt4mike. I think it’s made for Fords so I’ll need to look into whether it’ll accept the LT1 TB easily. This’ll eliminate the issues with the harness plugging into the stock sensors (I'm retaining the stock PCM) and I’ll be able to get the AIT sensor installed in the elbow. Also a potential issue, I’ll need to find out if this setup will fit without cutting the cowl.

Nice looking work on that manifold. I think when I move on it, I'll have my machine shop mod the LT1 heads to accept the standard SBC intake bolt pattern like was advised earlier in this thread.

Quick Reply: Singal plane help need guys..