LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Singal plane help need guys..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Thanks outlaw, it’s really good of you to post all this info. I mentioned above that I was wondering about the Pro Charger carb elbow, I’m thinking along your lines. However, I’m leaning more towards the elbow just posted above by redlt4mike. I think it’s made for Fords so I’ll need to look into whether it’ll accept the LT1 TB easily. This’ll eliminate the issues with the harness plugging into the stock sensors (I'm retaining the stock PCM) and I’ll be able to get the AIT sensor installed in the elbow. Also a potential issue, I’ll need to find out if this setup will fit without cutting the cowl.

Nice looking work on that manifold. I think when I move on it, I'll have my machine shop mod the LT1 heads to accept the standard SBC intake bolt pattern like was advised earlier in this thread.
Correct, but there was considerable modification done to make it work and fit in the car. "Easily" is relative. I believe welding and machining was involved.

Last edited by Old SStroker; 11-05-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spellcheck!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd have to call AFR to find out the details but i'm not sure they will do a set of 195cc LT1/4 heads with SBC bolt holes only because i'm not sure they are cast at a time when the customer orders them... they might be able to special order you some but be prepared... My custom order 227's took 16 weeks before they came in....

And that was without custom SBC bolt holes.. anyone deciding on doing a single plane would REALLY want to consider getting the standard SBC holes on their heads.. you just would never be able to run an LT1 intake ever again....
Old 11-05-2007, 10:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm using my AI ported stock heads. My machine shop has a port and flow bench, they'll massage the intake and port match it to the heads after they freshen them up.

Hey jakesz28, I know after you originally posted this earlier in this thread, you said this was a picture from another forum. How do we get info about this elbow? It doesn't look like a Sullivan elbow.

(I know, again with this same pic but it looks neat!)

Old 11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

I think Old SStroker may have been the builder but don't quote me on that one. It was on camaroz28
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jakesz28
I think Old SStroker may have been the builder but don't quote me on that one. It was on camaroz28
Think maybe is was his son? Sharp dude.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I'm using my AI ported stock heads. My machine shop has a port and flow bench, they'll massage the intake and port match it to the heads after they freshen them up.

Hey jakesz28, I know after you originally posted this earlier in this thread, you said this was a picture from another forum. How do we get info about this elbow? It doesn't look like a Sullivan elbow.

(I know, again with this same pic but it looks neat!)

[/I]

I think that elbow is a Donaldson, originally a Ford peice.

David
Old 11-06-2007, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

You can get that intake elbow from here... The one in the picture was modified for a different look.
http://www.sullivanperformance.com/Y...old/intake.htm
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
You can get that intake elbow from here... The one in the picture was modified for a different look.
http://www.sullivanperformance.com/Y...old/intake.htm
DING DING!!! a Sullivan, not a Donaldson.! Yes it has had a new flange put on it to accept a GM throttlebody.

You are the man.

David
Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Think maybe is was his son? Sharp dude.
Yeah, Bret built the engine. It is way more than it looks at first glance. It resides in a very sneaky street cruiser in a state that will remain unnamed.

The elbow started as a Sullivan, but, as I said before, a lot of work was done to it to make it fit in the car as well as fit the TB and linkage. The color was chosen by the owner. I really like the look of the engine in person. If you look closely enough there are some clues as to how trick this engine really is. If you heard it idle you would never believe the dyno numbers.

Want a copy? How fa$t can you afford to go?

If you have to ask......
Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Anyone know about these? Looks like it might be fun.

http://news.hspn.com/articles/937/1/...EFI/Page1.html
Attached Thumbnails Singal plane help need guys..-snag-18.jpg  
Old 11-07-2007, 05:12 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

That design has been done a few times. You lose all the advantages of having a fuel injector squirting over the intake valves in sequential timing when that valve opens. Plus, at lower speeds, you'll have some fuel distribution and puddeling issues that are common with a carburetor.

Before you try this, you might as well get a carburetor.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
Anyone know about these? Looks like it might be fun.

http://news.hspn.com/articles/937/1/...EFI/Page1.html
This is usually used IN ADDITION to the 8 injectors in the manifold. Brady has a similar setup on his 1900 hp alcohol, blown firebird EZ street car, 22 injectors total.

David
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Yeah, Bret built the engine. It is way more than it looks at first glance. It resides in a very sneaky street cruiser in a state that will remain unnamed.

The elbow started as a Sullivan, but, as I said before, a lot of work was done to it to make it fit in the car as well as fit the TB and linkage. The color was chosen by the owner. I really like the look of the engine in person. If you look closely enough there are some clues as to how trick this engine really is. If you heard it idle you would never believe the dyno numbers.

Want a copy? How fa$t can you afford to go?

If you have to ask......

If i had to guess i would say 600 fwhp, and it was in a vette.

Looks like a sleeper, if you can over look the single plane and elbow.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
If i had to guess i would say 600 fwhp, and it was in a vette.

Looks like a sleeper, if you can over look the single plane and elbow.

Well, you are 1 out of 2.

I suspect the hood doesn't get opened much in public. There is very little to attract attention to the running engine.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
Here is a more pics of our elbow...it clears my suncoast ram-air hood
It requires no cutting on the cowl and mounts the TB in the OEM position so you can reuse a standard CAI and throttle cable

Standard Pricing is $300 and will accept any style LT1 TB...52-58-mono-etc

these were temp. mock up pics on my car....I am in the process of cleaning and repainting the engine bay. I will be powdercoating the manifold black....anodizing the elbow black...and laser etching our logo in the top of the elbow.
Hey Ray,

I just picked up the elbow today ..looks very nice....

few questions
-what are the holes in the bottom for
-what are you doing with the vac lines are you taping the intake??
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody else use an LS1 style TB?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am quite happy with my Hogan intake. this is an excellent thread.

Ed,

I would love to see a comparison to the super vic!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by taner
i am quite happy with my Hogan intake. this is an excellent thread.

Ed,

I would love to see a comparison to the super vic!
I would too. May get a chance, a good friend of mine has one he is going to take off to try another manifold. I just added some plenum volume to a stock manifold for my 355" Super Stock engine, found 12 rwhp at 6000, 8 at 6500, 3.5 at 7000, same as the stock manifold at 7500 (suprised me there) and 4 to 5 more at 8000. Flattned the curve out a lot, and 6000 is where mine falls to on the gear changes. Should help at the track, especially recovery after gear changes. Tried it on the dyno last Sat am, took it to the track that afternoon for testing, and my T350 took a crap on the first pass, so don't know what, if any, ET it was worth. Tranny brake wouldn't hold it, and the 2-3 shift was very soft. I've got to get my good engine together so I can run those manifolds. I'm going to try to test them on an engne dyno this winter.

Had one customer call me recently to tell me he changed manifolds only, and he lost power below 6500 with a single plane over a stock intake, only gains he saw were above 6500. He has a factory PCM with it's 7000/7200 RPM limitations. Pretty narrow range for his gains. Kinda confirms what I saw Steve Quinn post once, that he only ran faster with his single plane after he raised his shifts quite a bit. Not really what I would expect with longer runners.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jakesz28
I still like this if you mill off the water neck and use a nitrous plate.

This is a sweet piece. I wonder how it stacks up against other pieces performance wise?

Wait, so this is a BRE piece?

Last edited by Vicious95Z28; 11-21-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, I just wanted to update everyone with some progress pics of my single plane intake:

before:

after:

I will be test fitting it in the car in the next week. From there I will have to let my engine builder know if some material will have to be milled off of the elbow to clear the cowl area.

Nick

Quick Reply: Singal plane help need guys..