LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Singal plane help need guys..

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What benefits are there to running a single plane on a boosted application. I'm in the planning, research stages of a YSi trimmed 383. I currently run a Stock LT4 intake/ TEA ported LT4 heads, and an S-trim @ 15lbs. I have a set of AFR 220's that i'll be running with the YSi trim. Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

I think the best reason would be the equal air flow distribution to all cylinders. I was tired of pulling my front plugs out and seeing them look really clean, and the back ones running rich (I'm naturally aspirated). I think most of the pro 5.0 guys run single planes on their turbo/supercharged applications. The more I get into this conversion, the more I'm liking it, and liking the stock intake less and less.

Nick
Old 12-27-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys who do a swap from a stock to a single plane or vice versa, I have yet to see one of them do a cam swap at the same time to take advantage of the intake, and REALLY make the test valid.

My car was making good torque Through a 4L60E and a 9 inch down fairly low in the rpm range, Has a good flat powerband. It made that power with two wounded pistons....with a six speed and a 10 bolt it would have easily made 510+ to the wheels on pumpgas through a FULL exhaust all the way out the back capped up.It has a super vic conversion, elbow and a monoblade.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-27-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:06 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just added a box to the top of a stock intake to test on my little 355" engine, and picked up 12 rwhp, and flattened the curve. Mine never had dark plugs at WOT, but did tend to darken the rear plugs at idle and on the return road. That is easy to fix in the stock PCM if the tuner knows about it. My FAST setup is running in speed density mode, batch fire. It darkens the rear 4plugs at low RPM also. They don't have different individual cylinder fuel correction tables for open and closed TPS, so if you leaned the rear cylinders to clean up the idle, those same cylinders would be leaner at WOT. Not what mine needs. I'm hoping my Hogan intake doesn't do that.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I just added a box to the top of a stock intake to test on my little 355" engine, and picked up 12 rwhp, and flattened the curve. Mine never had dark plugs at WOT, but did tend to darken the rear plugs at idle and on the return road. That is easy to fix in the stock PCM if the tuner knows about it. My FAST setup is running in speed density mode, batch fire. It darkens the rear 4plugs at low RPM also. They don't have different individual cylinder fuel correction tables for open and closed TPS, so if you leaned the rear cylinders to clean up the idle, those same cylinders would be leaner at WOT. Not what mine needs. I'm hoping my Hogan intake doesn't do that.
yes my turbo lt1 fouls out the back 2 or 4 spark plugs too, thats the main reason i switched to a vic jr. im in mn. so i won't see how it works till spring when i can drive it again..
Oh the hogan looks as bad as the stock intake for air distribution so i went another direction..
Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great thread here guys.

I would interested to see a comparison between an Elbow and 4 barrel TB on the same intake I'd even offer my Sheetmetal elbow and Accuafab 105mm for use if there is someone who is willing.

Even a test between the differetn elbows would shed some light. Wilson makes a coulpe different styles now, and there is quite a few people making sheet metal Elbows as well.

As far as usign the Accufab Ford style stuff I emailed the Tech guys at Accufab and got some good info. You can use your stock LT1 syle IAC with their IAC adapter P/N IACGM-2. You will have to swap a couple wires and possibly the plug and run a 87-92 Mustang TPS. The small adapter is 75 bucks from their site but I have seen them around 60 bucks at online speed shops. A new TPS is less 40 dollars.

And a shamless plug for accufab, the customer service is fantastic, answered all my questions and were super fast to respond to my emails.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 PM
hashtagBMW

The mustang TPS works too, its like $10.

I ran the GM IAC with the accufab adapter. I dont know how the whole throttle tip in and other problems are though, yet. Havent driven the car.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Speed Density
The mustang TPS works too, its like $10.

I ran the GM IAC with the accufab adapter. I dont know how the whole throttle tip in and other problems are though, yet. Havent driven the car.
Do you have a part number for this $10 dollar TPS? I think the $40 one I saw had an smal adapter harnees with it as well. I will find it and post a link and part number for future searchers.

I really wanted to run a 4 hole type TB to avoid the tip in problems, but air cleaner clearance. I have DFI so I should be able to tune around the tip in problems.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

My whole setup cost under a grand. I'm using the prof-products super hurricane EFI mani199.99. I ahd to buy the edelbrock victor fuel rails (89.00 iirc). My shop guy fabricated the stock regulator to the rails, and built the top plenum piece. He made a jig for the LT1 bolt pattern too. He simply slides ANY sbc manifold into it, bolts down the outermost holes, and re-drills the inner holes to match. Then he cuts off the water neck. He doesn't use those hillside washers or whatever they're called. He mills the bolt holes to the correct angle too.

One big thing that hasn't been talked about in this thread is Nitrous use. A single plane setup OPENS UP YOUR NITROUS OPTIONS in a huge way. No more LT1 specific kits which are $700.00+. You can run just about ANY 4bbl kit, there are hundreds. There are tons of different plates you can run too.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joelster
My whole setup cost under a grand. I'm using the prof-products super hurricane EFI mani199.99. I ahd to buy the edelbrock victor fuel rails (89.00 iirc). My shop guy fabricated the stock regulator to the rails, and built the top plenum piece. He made a jig for the LT1 bolt pattern too. He simply slides ANY sbc manifold into it, bolts down the outermost holes, and re-drills the inner holes to match. Then he cuts off the water neck. He doesn't use those hillside washers or whatever they're called. He mills the bolt holes to the correct angle too.

One big thing that hasn't been talked about in this thread is Nitrous use. A single plane setup OPENS UP YOUR NITROUS OPTIONS in a huge way. No more LT1 specific kits which are $700.00+. You can run just about ANY 4bbl kit, there are hundreds. There are tons of different plates you can run too.

Pictures??
Old 12-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Withh the F1-A I am running I went this route - Accu-Fab 90mm throttle body and the nitrous plate mounted between it and the 90* elbow. I was concerned with raising the elbow any more that necessary.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dude that looks awesome. I am getting those same valvecovers.

You might need more headbolts though
Old 12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the compliments

Head bolts??? Naw...They're over-rated
Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
Pictures??

I posted the huge pics in the beginning of this thread. Those pics are of a friends car with an Edelbrock Victor EFI manifold. I am running the pro-products version. My elbow is slightly taller, because I am running a 4" cowl hood. It looks virtually identical though. The pics I posted were of the first one my buddy made, and he designed it to fit under a stock hood, with mine he went a little taller.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoostedZ28
Withh the F1-A I am running I went this route - Accu-Fab 90mm throttle body and the nitrous plate mounted between it and the 90* elbow. I was concerned with raising the elbow any more that necessary.

what intake is that? accel?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

LittleredZ - The intake is an Edelbrock Victor EFI
Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Bump for a great thread!

Hey guys. Does anyone have a link or a contact for a LTX Sheetmetel intake set up?

I have been looking for someone like Beck (still cant find there Company info!anyone?) to fab a singal plane sheetmetel intake. Or should I look at running an Edelbrock Victor EFI type setup? I have an GM LT4 intake and AFR LT4 head setup with and ASM Mono now. Just want to be sure I'm not leaving a buch of power on the table staying with the GM LT4 intake.

Thanks
Ross
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/
Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 PM
hashtagBMW

I got my TPS of ebay. Looking back on the sale it was $12 dollars to my door.

Yes, you can get them new for $40 but when you have other costs like the IAC adapter, silicone, charge piping... the savings is worth it.

Tony.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Thanks a ton Ed!

Ross

Quick Reply: Singal plane help need guys..