LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rhino ramps

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Dad has a set of ramps that were formed from a wide *** tree. They are heavy as hell but wider than anything you can grab at autozone, good luck on those sliding on you. I like it when I'm up at his house and have use of them.

I had a set of Rhino ramps, the damn rubber falls out of them easy. I have a set of metal ones, my tires barely fit in them..... I gotta find me a strong tree and make me a set of wood ones.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I zip tied the rubber pads because yeah after ahile they did start to fall out.

With the long overhang and the 255+ rubber rhino ramps are a favorite choice with the b-body guys
Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not use the cheapest shortest set of jackstands you can find. I have a couple sets of the 6 ton stands from harbor freight and they are great. They start out at the bottom about where my old 3 ton stands would top out. 10 times more stable then the old ones especially if you really have the car up in the air.

For my rear tires if I am working on the car I have a set of wooded stands I built out of 2x4 that are plenty wide even for my 275 40 17 tires. I cut a piece of 2 x 4 at a 45 for each end so that the car would have to actually roll up almost 2 inches to come off the stands and they almost cradle the front and back of the tire so it cant really mover forward and back at all evern before it gets to the stops. They are not very heavy but the way I made them they are strong as hell. These stands are about a foot high so you can really get the car up in the air when working under it.

For the front I have a set of steel ramps that I use but due to the tires being so wide I cut a piece of 2 x 10 so that it sits down where the tires would sit on a normal car. They are cut at an angle so the bottom fits but the top flares out and is almost just as wide as the tires are. I have a smaller lip on these to keep the car from rolling off them as well.

I use 2 jacks to get the car up on these two setups and that is the only part that worries my. If I dont lift onr end at a time up a few inches and block it before going to the other end (front and rear) the car can tilt side to side. Takes me forever to get the car up in the air but once its there its there for good.

If I ever figure out how to upload pics onto here and get a little free time I will take pics of what I am talking about. I think they are great and maybe the can help some of you guys out in the future. I dont need to hear any more bad stories about cars falling.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Driver Error....always remember...." Flat is where it's at".......
Old 09-20-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i terrified of being crushed, rather use someones lift, or let the car be broken. slightly error could casue that 3300 lb car that normally sits 6 inches off the ground (1 inch with out wheels) to fall on my head. rather not. haha
Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Came close to being killed myself from insufficient methods. The clearance is not as good, but I will drive the car up on ramps and then jack under the diff on the rear and put jackstands under the axle but leave pressure on the jack.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The Rhino ramps have rubber pads built in so they are far less prone to sliding. They are WIDE and fully supported underneath not like stamped steel ones. They are more stable than jackstands long as they are used properly.
I agree Rhin Ramps are very safe if you use them correctly. They are more safe than the metal ones Iv'e heard!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camar0corey
My Dad has a set of ramps that were formed from a wide *** tree. They are heavy as hell but wider than anything you can grab at autozone, good luck on those sliding on you. I like it when I'm up at his house and have use of them.

I had a set of Rhino ramps, the damn rubber falls out of them easy. I have a set of metal ones, my tires barely fit in them..... I gotta find me a strong tree and make me a set of wood ones.
This is a good why to make wood ramps. Heavy but a lot safer.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htm

Quick Reply: rhino ramps