LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help wont rev past 4 grand

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help wont rev past 4 grand

Alright, i've been knocking this out in hope that it wouldn't be the opti but it's pointing to that direction, my last hopes is that it's this. . . .tonight i went and had my codes checked to see if anything was up - I have a bad MAF I've got an extra one out at my shop that's good and I can put into tonight. . .BUT the thing is - if it isn't reving past 4 grand would the MAF have any effect on that or would it still possibly be weak opti? I've changed plugs the next thing is plug wires and the opti. . .but when i changed the plugs it ran great for 2-3 days with no problems of reving past 4 grand it just started happening again today. . . .car smells like it runs a little rich too. . . .thanks!

Oh and this is on the formula.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget little things, whens the last time the fuel filter was changed. Is your fuel pressure good?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tylert14
Don't forget little things, whens the last time the fuel filter was changed. Is your fuel pressure good?

That's a good point. . . .although my fuel pressure has been very good it feels like i'm almost hitting a rev limiter though ontop of that i was on a drive home from a 5 hour trip from austin when i first discovered the issue and after about 3 hours of 15 RPM road crusing when i went to pass someone it wouldn't rev past three grand i thought i wasn't going to make it the rest of the trip. . .

*edit* just went out to the shop got the other MAF still doing the same stuff . . . it starvs for power at 3-4 grand It's probably the opti ._. or the fuel. . .but i really dont think it's that. Although for 15 bucks it aint a bad idea to change that out. . . .i dont think the fuel pump is going bad though seeing as i get plenty of fuel. . .the filter is a good plan though regardless i do live in west texas. . .dirt is evil around here.

Last edited by KriegerEhre; 09-19-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

plugged converters mabe?check at night drive it around see if their glowing.that will definatley hold you revs back.if not then very possible opti problem.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

My converters should be gutted. . .they arn't glowing i've checked there - there's one still on the manifold i might look into again but man. . .aside from that not really. - I'll take it into my dads buddy to see what he has to say I've got two of em on there one i know is gutted because it went bad. . .the other one sounded hallow.

It sounds like I've got a small exhaust leak somewhere though. . .but i mean my camaros had that issue before and it was never this bad.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

that exhaust leak is most likely why your converter went bad.i bet the leak was somwhere on the manifolds which btw will send the 02's false readings.you do have a cat on the drivers side and i bet its not gutted.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
that exhaust leak is most likely why your converter went bad.i bet the leak was somwhere on the manifolds which btw will send the 02's false readings.you do have a cat on the drivers side and i bet its not gutted.

The bolts on that side are so rusted i cannot pull it off but what i'll try and do is cut the pipe at the bottom check to see if it's gutted then replace the manifold gaskets. . .that's the best i can come up with??
Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gunna go to the muffler shop this week to have them cut off the rusted bolts on the fitting and make me a pipe that just goes directly in place of the converter with a fitting welded to it. . . . .

Quick Reply: Need help wont rev past 4 grand