LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

"3 bar map sensor" will it work on my lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question "3 bar map sensor" will it work on my lt1?

i have a N/A 383 lt1 car that i am trying to get running i have a friend with a 3 bar map sensor. who knows if i will be able to get it to work on my car? and if it can how do i do it?? i heard it could be done but dont know how.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont think it will work. But on top of that, its unneeded. Why would you even want it?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i need a map sensor because im trying to finish a motor build and im running extremely low on funds.. and need to get my car running so i can start working again. i dont have a map sensor right now so i need one. along with a bracket that holds the lines coming into my throttle body, TPS, fuel lines from the fuel filter forward, and a few pigtails to connect some sensors to.. i really do need some help though guys..
Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3bar is for huge boost applications. We run 1bar. I doubt it'd work right.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

pretty sure you need to have an aftermarket ecu to use that.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by infinitebird
pretty sure you need to have an aftermarket ecu to use that.
3 bar mapl'l work fine with the stock ecu, you just loose 2/3rds of your resolution. The problem comes in with the stock tune, you need a tune specifically for the 3 bar map. If you hook the 3 bar map up to your ecm, your ecm will be using the values for .333 bar when you're actually at a full 1 bar. so it wont work with the stock tune and even if you got a tune you'd end up giving up a lot in that tune to work with the 3 bar (you give up a lot with the stock ecu to work with a 3 bar) I doubt you'd be able to get a tuner to do that for you as it would be like giving michaelangelo crayons and asking him to do the sistine chapel.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Since your N/A there is no reason to run it so your just making allot more work for yourself and your tuner.

But it can be done. If you had the proper tune for it! For the install you need to add notches into the harness so it will snap into the sensor, 1-2-3 bar sensors are different so you have to make then fit.

I run a 2-bar so my ECM can "read boost" and adjust the timing and fuel accordingly, but the car won't even start with stock tune and the 2-bar. I was lucky enough that my tuner (PCM4LESS) already had a file very close to what I was running so it only took a little tweaking to get it right. I would think starting from scratch would mean allot of work.

JB
Old 09-20-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

You can get a new stock 1 bar map at any parts store for very very cheap. I think I got mine for less than 15 bucks the last time I needed one.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, you want to use a 1 bar sensor since you're NA.

I am in the process of going to a 3 bar speed density tune with a stock PCM. I could have used a 2 bar, but thought I might eventually run higher boost in the future. To gain back most of the lost resolution, I've added an amplifier circuit to essentially make it a 1.5 bar sensor (only running 7 lbs. boost). I've gone through and generated a tune for it already, and hope to try it out next week. Hopefully all goes well.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok guys i think im going to goahead and tell my friend that i dont need the threebar from him since it seems like its more trouble than its worth. I just like the idea of getting free parts for my car.. i already got the maf.. so now i need to go ahead and get that map sensor, new fuel lines from the fuel filter forward.. and supposedly some pig tails for the sensors to hook up to... uggghh. i wish i had a donor lt1 car.. lol

thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: "3 bar map sensor" will it work on my lt1?