LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

got some new pics with the hood and diff. rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it looks good man!!!

How is it launching, does it hook up good?

I am looking into getting some prostars, what size rim/tire you run, any pics of it from the back to show if the rear tires tuck in?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

We're not talking about getting a prokit drop by cutting.

It's just a little adjustment, noting drastic.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLT4Mike
It's not bad with a cutoff wheel.
I don't think he's talking about the structural integrity of the spring. Rather the fact that it was designed the way it was for a reason. It's designed to function with everything else as a whole. By cutting it you're changing one variable in a setup designed to work together. Granted when you're changing all your drivetrain and suspension your completely redesigning the system.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
ok. its not like springs are that expensive to do it the right way anyway... i hate to see **** like that happen
Well then prove that its bad to cut them. A good friend of mine and member of this board went to atleast 1.5 60fts on his stock cut z28 springs in his 98 z28 and NEVER had a problem. Daily drove the car as well.

I am going to cut my stock rear springs because no one sells just the rear lowering springs and I have QA1's up front. Until I can find a set of just rear springs thats what I am going to have to do.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went back into my suspension notes, and it has to do with the rate the spring is. if its variable rate, cutting it in any way is very bad. if its a linear spring, it wont have that much effect, but it still weakens the spring itself.

My dad and my uncle have been in the car industry since the 40s. they will never cut springs.

thats just my 2cents.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

like i said before, this can go on FOREVER like a "ford vs. chevy" debate. You win some you lose some. But in the end theres no conclusion so who cares. I like it and i did it.

ls1bait... The car launches pretty good and straight and i have a airbag in the pass side too so it helps out. Hopefully i get to a track this year so i can get some numbers to throw around this winter so iknow what to do next.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

^^^yea that would be good to get to the track see your numbers. That thing is light man it sounds like it will fly!!

how you like the FLT 4?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

the trans is badass for sure. I got the vaccum mod too and when ure just cruising around it shifts real soft like a stock trans. When when ure WOT then it bangs the gears hard! So it should make the trans last a lot longer without banging the gears all the time.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

one of my favorite LT1s on this site...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I went back into my suspension notes, and it has to do with the rate the spring is. if its variable rate, cutting it in any way is very bad. if its a linear spring, it wont have that much effect, but it still weakens the spring itself.

My dad and my uncle have been in the car industry since the 40s. they will never cut springs.

thats just my 2cents.
dude, it doesnt weaken the spring any by cutting it with a cutoff wheel. it will make the spring shorter, and the car will sit lower. the rate is still the same, just a different height. they wont be weakened, either.

moroso trick springs are ~6" taller than a stock spring, but the car sits at factory height with them. thats because they are a lower spring rate, albeit taller than the factory spring. the instructions that come with them tell you to cut them to the desired height with a cutoff wheel. i took 2 full coils off mine.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
one of my favorite LT1s on this site...

thanks man, it took me 2 years this winter to get it where it is now. Started off with a 100% stock car.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec
dude, it doesnt weaken the spring any by cutting it with a cutoff wheel. it will make the spring shorter, and the car will sit lower. the rate is still the same, just a different height. they wont be weakened, either.

moroso trick springs are ~6" taller than a stock spring, but the car sits at factory height with them. thats because they are a lower spring rate, albeit taller than the factory spring. the instructions that come with them tell you to cut them to the desired height with a cutoff wheel. i took 2 full coils off mine.
Like i said, I read back into my suspension notes and it depends on the type of spring.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vtec

With 6" extra height, I bet they're fun to install! Seems like I had enough fun trying to install stock springs on mine with a floor jack! Does the Moroso springs make for good drag launches?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

the eibach springs i had were also like 4'' taller then stock and they were deff. a pain to get in!! But now cut stockers go in real easy, lol.

Quick Reply: got some new pics with the hood and diff. rear springs