LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

113,000 miles, daily driver - go synthetic or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucas is a sham I do believe. And a synthetic oil is far superior than Lucas's makeup. SO DON'T MIX 'EM. If you like M1 (I do), try 0w-40 or 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (Delvac 1). Another little tidbit of info, the 5w-30 Truck & SUV has a cSt @ 100*C of 11.3 opposed to 10.0 for regular 10w-30 (viscosity). So the T&SUV is quite a bit thicker at temp than the other popular weights around here. IIRC, the popular German Castrol 0w-30 is about 12.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we should all point our questions to Cap. He's just Mr Know It All, that it really is a waste of time for us to post any reply, since he'll just come in and tell us we're wrong, stupid, and then the correct info

Old 10-04-2007, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
I think we should all point our questions to Cap. He's just Mr Know It All, that it really is a waste of time for us to post any reply, since he'll just come in and tell us we're wrong, stupid, and then the correct info

If you want to remain ignorant STOP READING, there are a few of us who post useful information here and you never know when you might stumble upon it, god forbid.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i asked you a question. answer it
Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

75W-140 here....
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

^lol :X
Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Most of the replies sofar are steaming piles of bull written by guys who think watching a TV comercial is "research"

This on in particular is BAD.

Lucas causes foaming, M1 is PROVEN to NOT be a great oil in the LT1.

BlackScreaminMachine and 1bdbrd are the only ones that offered any good info. I would disagree with Black though and say you could switch if you want.

The next big question though is what oil to run and I will say that what most of these yahoos will recommend will likely be a poor choice. They will mostly say M1 5w-30 or 10w-30 but MEASURED wear iron content in used M1 of those weights from this engine in real world use says they are wrong.
So whats wrong with what I said?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Most of the replies sofar are steaming piles of bull written by guys who think watching a TV comercial is "research"

This on in particular is BAD.

Lucas causes foaming, M1 is PROVEN to NOT be a great oil in the LT1.

BlackScreaminMachine and 1bdbrd are the only ones that offered any good info. I would disagree with Black though and say you could switch if you want.

The next big question though is what oil to run and I will say that what most of these yahoos will recommend will likely be a poor choice. They will mostly say M1 5w-30 or 10w-30 but MEASURED wear iron content in used M1 of those weights from this engine in real world use says they are wrong.
Thanks for the props but I am about to ruin what I said because I will only use Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. I have ran Mobil 1 from day 1 in my 04 Colorado and have had no problems at all. My old trans am had Mobil 1 put in it at the aformentioned 150k miles and was just fine. My lt1 will only get it as well unless I start opting for RP.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Check the oil forum links in other threads, MEASURED results prove the usual M1 oils in an LT1 are not that good. RP is good for the track but does not hold up on the street, you have a better understanding of all this than most already, the real info on the Bob is the oil Guy forum will help you a lot.

kinglt-1, pretty much everything in your post was wrong.
synthetic and dino oils do not create different clearances, and as someone else said synthetic if it does develop leaks it is because of cleaning and often as that cleaning progresses those leaks will stop.
Maxlife is nothing special, thick for it's weight and some seal conditioners, not saying it is bad either just no magic there.

kinglt-1 here is the oil forum link http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php go down to the Used Oil Analysis section and search.
Important to consider oil quality is not the key here the only way to really know is measured results in a like engine. The M1 oils that are not so good in an LT1 are good quality oils, they just do not work that great in the LT1 and oddly the LS1 as well, even as different as these motors are they seem to have similar preferences.

These used oil analyses are like track or dyno testing for modifications, they are the only real tests we have of PROOF of what works.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Check the oil forum links in other threads, MEASURED results prove the usual M1 oils in an LT1 are not that good. RP is good for the track but does not hold up on the street, you have a better understanding of all this than most already, the real info on the Bob is the oil Guy forum will help you a lot.
I know Buff uses the GC, I was thinking you did too. To all, if you want oil war to read about, trying owning a VW and reading at TDIclub.com.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

A 1.8T VW I saw 15K mile results on with a single fill of 5w-30 M1 was awesome, that crowd would be boarderline ricer though so I would guess MEASURED results would mean even less there than here.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

A 1.8T VW I saw 15K mile results on with a single fill of 5w-30 M1 was awesome, that crowd would be boarderline ricer though so I would guess MEASURED results would mean even less there than here.
Well I don't know about gas engines but I say you are probably right about that. I was referring to the diesels where if you don't have at least 3 UOA's under your belt, you ain't ****. The UOA rules the roost in the VW diesel forums so the measured results do mean something. I do UOA's on mine cuz I wanna drive the wheels off of it. I've been using Amsoil's European formula but I can't get my iron down so I'm trying VW's latest and greatest spec, a VW branded Castrol oil. I've never done one on my 396 cuz at this point, I wouldn't put enough miles on it to matter and you never know when something might let go at the track. I've always used M1 15w-50 EP in it but these days I'm thinking it's probably too thick so in the spring I am going to switch the TDT/Delvac 1.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

synthetic and dino oils do not create different clearances, and as someone else said synthetic if it does develop leaks it is because of cleaning and often as that cleaning progresses those leaks will stop.
Maxlife is nothing special, thick for it's weight and some seal conditioners, not saying it is bad either just no magic there.

kinglt-1 here is the oil forum link http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php go down to the Used Oil Analysis section and search.
Important to consider oil quality is not the key here the only way to really know is measured results in a like engine. The M1 oils that are not so good in an LT1 are good quality oils, they just do not work that great in the LT1 and oddly the LS1 as well, even as different as these motors are they seem to have similar preferences.

These used oil analyses are like track or dyno testing for modifications, they are the only real tests we have of PROOF of what works.
Yes Masta!!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what you're saying caprice is that it would be more beneficial to stick with regular 10w-30 high mileage oil vs. going synthetic and having to deal with the cleansing and leaking. if not, please correct me, i would really like to know which would be superior in my case
Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't think there's any leak guarantee here. You might run it and it might not leak any worse than it did.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yo 96capricemgr,
I understand what your trying to get across. I know there are quite of few bull **** rumors that fly around, and they get repeated over and over until everyone reads them and then all of a sudden it becomes a "fact." I'll admit, I've never done tests on different brand oils, so I don't know exactly what is best for LT1's. I just tried to give a little knowledge of what I have been taught. I'm eager to learn, that's why I'm going to be reading up on that "Bob is the oil guy" forum. I don't mind constructive criticism, but put it to us lightly. Like I said, I'm eager to learn, so let me know if I'm talking out of my ***. I feel like a nerd just telling people how I feel on here. The only reason I even come on here is because I'm bored out of my mind and this shitty town has nothing to do.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Banned

no need to fix what isnt broken
Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by daniel6718
no need to fix what isnt broken
well, its always good to make things run better
Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just run 75W-140........... or at least 80w-90......
Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

just stick with dyno.. castrol if u can its passed the most tests (castrol GTX) that is.. iv put it side by side with mobile and other oils it comes out on top.. RP doesnt even have any tests on it... (im talking about manufact tests not counting the oldschool ones)

going from 20-50 to 15-40 here

Quick Reply: 113,000 miles, daily driver - go synthetic or not?