LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vortech vs Procharger? I Searched and Researched!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT
I'm a Vortech fan, put down 501rwhp on 7.2# on an S-trim and now have upgraded to a T-trim at 11.7# with no new #'s yet. Maybe next week. But we're all expecting 600+.

I wanted the SQ SuperQuiet (angle cut) gears, which is really why I picked Vortech in the first place. Plus back then, Procharger had a bad customer service rep. Now it sounds like they are better.

I suspect that after a hard run the Procharger internal oil will be way hotter than the Vortech's engine oil. That's why they have to run special oil, to deal with both pressures and temp. I have no proof of that, but Corky Bell's book also states that an engine oil driven system will be better performing.

I think you mean blower gearcase internals.

Jim
It does seem like more LT guys are running vortech than procharger. The vortech kits seem to be a lil less expensive if I Can get more numbers and less headache out of Vortech I will go that route but I would def get a T-Trim
what do you have done to your bottom end? Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

don't think you will go wrong with a T-trim or the D1. i recomend them because most likely you will want more power down the road at some point. and you should be able to get a set of pullies that will allow you to run low boost for now. i had the P1SC but it came apart so i upgraded it to a D1SC. there is a fix for the belt slip issue on a D1SC (not sure if the D1 uses the same bracket) though it is kind of expensive or you could run a 12 rib belt and should be fine.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Procharger uses its own cased oil which doesn't heat up that much. Vortech uses the oil that goes through the engine and then through the turbo internals.
Please do not give people wrong info!
Procharger makes both Self contained and Oil Fed blowers.
How do you wonder that self contained blower stays cooler? try pouring a few Oz of oil in a blower that spins 60000 rpm, sitting right by the header, after an hour of run time let me know what the oil temp is in that unit compared to a oilfed blower.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I'm running a Vortech T-Trim at 16 lbs (has been setup for 19 lbs previously). My motor is a 383 with Eagle crank and rods. Puts out 550 rwhp and the previous owner ran 11.2 @ 125. The 19 lb setup put close to 600 rwhp. No problems driving on the street or sitting bumper to bumper in 110 degree heat.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleRedZ
How do you wonder that self contained blower stays cooler? try pouring a few Oz of oil in a blower that spins 60000 rpm, sitting right by the header, after an hour of run time let me know what the oil temp is in that unit compared to a oilfed blower.
I agree the procharger is a heat soaked *****. I had a P1sc at one time, and it was junk. Made good power, the kit was poorly engineered. Also it only makes good power if your running 40mph or faster to keep cool air flowing. My car ran hotter than hell in light to light traffic with out any fan temp programming. Thats why they use a high temp synthetic oil with ceramic gears.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a Vortech T-Trim at 16 lbs (has been setup for 19 lbs previously). My motor is a 383 with Eagle crank and rods. Puts out 550 rwhp and the previous owner ran 11.2 @ 125. The 19 lb setup put close to 600 rwhp. No problems driving on the street or sitting bumper to bumper in 110 degree heat.
What heads, intake, and cam are you running??? Numbers seem low, judging you have a th400 Tranny or a Loose converter??
Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
What numbers are you pushing? I know it is not stock bottom end I was thinking about building a 355 also then leaning towards a D-1. Thanks man
Unfortunately I never got any numbers with the stock motor@9psi, but without a tune it went from 13.82 to 12.76 (4500 ft) but last time on the dyno with the 355 it made 423hp@7psi with an unlocked converter (3000 stall) and ran a 12.1 about a month ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yg4aUeD1-8
Thats me in the left lane
Old 10-19-2007, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
I Would Go With A Procharger Their Rep Speaks For Them Selfs And My Bro Has A D1sc And He Had The Old Brackets Which Kept On Ripping His Belts And Last Year When We When To The Super Chevy Show They Were There And They Gave Him The New Style Brackets And Belts For Free... Me Personally I Dont 100% Like Turbos Or Roots Type S.cs Well Just For The Noise They Make If I Ever Force Induct My Stuff It Will Surely Be A Procharger..
A centrifugal blower is basically a mechanically driven turbo, turbos normally deriving power pneumatically.

Reputations can be built with marketing dollars and ignorance. RESULTS are what people need to look at.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A centrifugal blower is basically a mechanically driven turbo, turbos normally deriving power pneumatically.

Reputations can be built with marketing dollars and ignorance. RESULTS are what people need to look at.
, procharger makes great power i've been on both sides of the ball and i like my vortech more, now i'm not going to make a **** matching agrument here but that is just how i feel.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see sig
I don't see any track #'s in it?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

, procharger makes great power i've been on both sides of the ball and i like my vortech more, now i'm not going to make a **** matching agrument here but that is just how i feel.
I was not trying to comment on quality of anyone's specific product. Just a comment on how a particulat type of blower is built and that reputations are not a good gauge of a company.

For example Golen has a GREAT reputation on the b-body boards, reality is at best he does mediocre work.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T/A KID
What heads, intake, and cam are you running??? Numbers seem low, judging you have a th400 Tranny or a Loose converter??
The original owner had the stock heads and valvetrain done. Still using the stock intake. The motor is using a custom blower cam, just not quite sure of the specs. No auto here, using a built T-56. The numbers might seem kind of low, but the car would break into the 10's if it weighed a little less. The trap speed is there, but my car was purposely built to be driven on the street. No cages or any weight reduction. It is fast as hell with the current setup and very reliable. There may be more power left with a better tune, but I'm happy with the way it is right now.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I don't see any track #'s in it?
it should go low 9s this year, i've only made a few passes this year on this new blower combo, leaving at idle pig rich braking up and short shifting every gear it still went 9.94@141mph w 1.5060ft, since then i picked up 90rwhp from tunning alone across the board and finally(fingers crossed) figured out my suspension so i can finally leave on some boost.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

So the self contained blowers get hot easily? I do not see any SC blowers used for road racing applications so I am starting to believe what you say is true! My car will never see traffic I just wonder which makes more proven power a self contained or oil tapped D-1 or Vortech T-trim?
This is good info guys sorry I have been out of town I would like to see this thread keep going I am taking every ones experiences in my choice thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Totally agree with you I wanna get more experiences with each blower in this thread. I did not want to put this in Forced Induction thread I wanted to keep it LTX thread because it is different plus LTX guys are the hardcore mechs
Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where can i buy the Vortech T-Trim??i've searched for it but nooo luck
Old 10-26-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

What numbers are you pushing? I know it is not stock bottom end I was thinking about building a 355 also then leaning towards a D-1. Thanks man
when my LT-1 was stock it put down 425whp at 7psi with the P1sc through stock manifols w/catback! This was on a dynojet on a 85 degree summer day!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Man, I really miss my LT1 sometimes! You guys have some nasty running cars here! I was gonna get a 2004 GT for my next project, but this thread is making me want to start looking at LT1's again!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

I am happy with my procharger. I put it on at about 125,000 still running strong 8,000 miles later. I have the p1-sc.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the self contained blowers get hot easily? I do not see any SC blowers used for road racing applications so I am starting to believe what you say is true! My car will never see traffic I just wonder which makes more proven power a self contained or oil tapped D-1 or Vortech T-trim?
This is good info guys sorry I have been out of town I would like to see this thread keep going I am taking every ones experiences in my choice thanks.
no such thing is more proven power, t trim is very comparable to a D1. YOu can make 450 on same boost as i can make 550 or joe next door can make 600. It all depends on the car and combination unfortenatly theres no one around to have both on the same engine to compare.

Quick Reply: Vortech vs Procharger? I Searched and Researched!