LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vortech vs Procharger? I Searched and Researched!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech vs Procharger? I Searched and Researched!

I just want opinions from those who are experienced with either on LTX motors. I have an LT4 with p/p heads and every bolt on out there. The bottom end is not built have stock crank etc. I know it would be more beneficial to build it up then get a supercharger cause eventually I am going to do this but I see guys running around with stock bottom end blowers all the time with a conservative tune no problems. Not to say there will not be any problems but def a couple thousand miles which it would take my car 5 yrs to put 3,000 miles on it cause I rarely drive it sits in shop til a nice cool day. Anyway I am saving up right now and in the winter might have enough $$$ to forced induction. To the question, I had my heart set on procharger cause I was going to get a good deal on a D-1 kit installed and tuned ready to go for 4grand from a very respectful LT guy. But every time I look around I see more LT running Vortech S-Trims and I hear prochargers have terrible belt slip issues on LT motors? I would be happy with around 500rwhp right now . Which kit for Vortech is comparable to a D-1 procharger and which out of those two have proven time after time for more power and less headache?? I also see a used Vortech kit S-trim for very cheap and looks like it could be good deal. Thanks for reading
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't have any blower experience but a friend and I were working on a Paxton supercharged Mustang for a few extra dollars recently. We were putting a belt on it and I happened to grab the blower pulley. Talk about eating crank horsepower to turn a blower. I would make sure I was running a cog belt for that reason alone. I would just want to make sure the thing didn't slip. I would think either company would be pretty well equal as long as you went with the cooler on the Vortech. I would not want to run boost without an intercooler of sorts.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I don't have any blower experience but a friend and I were working on a Paxton supercharged Mustang for a few extra dollars recently. We were putting a belt on it and I happened to grab the blower pulley. Talk about eating crank horsepower to turn a blower. I would make sure I was running a cog belt for that reason alone. I would just want to make sure the thing didn't slip. I would think either company would be pretty well equal as long as you went with the cooler on the Vortech. I would not want to run boost without an intercooler of sorts.
Good info thanks , 1 day I will go turbo like you when I am high rollin I did some research and I am hearing different things about the intercoolers for prochargers I heard the Twin High Flows that come with the kits =
Old 10-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Launching!

You cant go wrong with an S-Trim.
With that bieng said, the D1sc can and will make more power. You would want to upgrade to the 12 rib pulley/belt set up and a large front mount intercooler.

Stay away from the P1sc kits, they are junk.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
Good info thanks , 1 day I will go turbo like you when I am high rollin I did some research and I am hearing different things about the intercoolers for prochargers I heard the Twin High Flows that come with the kits =
One day I will go turbo too. LOL. I took my parts to the machine shop yesterday for my shortblock. It looks like I will be starting a new job around the first of the month so maybe I can get some income going for the project.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mpe331lx
You cant go wrong with an S-Trim.
With that bieng said, the D1sc can and will make more power. You would want to upgrade to the 12 rib pulley/belt set up and a large front mount intercooler.

Stay away from the P1sc kits, they are junk.
With that being said is an S-Trim comparable to a D-1? Basically I know there is S-trims, G-trims etc which is the strongest and weakest because I know procharger goes from strongest F-1,D-1,P-1,p-600B weakest . I would like to know how Vortech goes comparable with the D-1 kits and if there are any belt slipping issues with that kit and how to prevent it from happening? Nice *** DSG Cobra I luv em"
Thanks for the help everyone I am a listener and I am pretty knowledgable but on this forum there are way more knowledgeable guys than me that have been doing it a lot longer . I will listen!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Launching!

No the S trim is more comparable to a P1sc, but is WAAAAAY more reliable and has a better belt set up to start with.

The T trim would compare better to the D1sc.
There is a local Mach1 that has gone 10.8x @ 134 witha d1sc. The blower has potential to move a lot of air.
There are two local Lt1s with D1sc's. They both should be knocking on the 9 second door.

What comes with the Procharger kit that you may be buying?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Would Go With A Procharger Their Rep Speaks For Them Selfs And My Bro Has A D1sc And He Had The Old Brackets Which Kept On Ripping His Belts And Last Year When We When To The Super Chevy Show They Were There And They Gave Him The New Style Brackets And Belts For Free... Me Personally I Dont 100% Like Turbos Or Roots Type S.cs Well Just For The Noise They Make If I Ever Force Induct My Stuff It Will Surely Be A Procharger..
Old 10-18-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know much about the Vortech units or how they compare, but I can tell you that I am very happy from the performance I have gotten out of my Procharger, even though it is only the P1sc/twin intercooled version I have. I never had an issue with belt slip(only 9psi) but I decided to upgrade to a 12 rib when I bought smaller pullies for future needs. I'll be selling my kit very soon for an F1A Hopefully you find something here useful lol, good luck!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

How would a STS turbo setup compare to the superchargers? They look to make good power for a good price...and saves alot of room to the rear as well.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Funkybird
I don't know much about the Vortech units or how they compare, but I can tell you that I am very happy from the performance I have gotten out of my Procharger, even though it is only the P1sc/twin intercooled version I have. I never had an issue with belt slip(only 9psi) but I decided to upgrade to a 12 rib when I bought smaller pullies for future needs. I'll be selling my kit very soon for an F1A Hopefully you find something here useful lol, good luck!

What numbers are you pushing? I know it is not stock bottom end I was thinking about building a 355 also then leaning towards a D-1. Thanks man
Old 10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mpe331lx
No the S trim is more comparable to a P1sc, but is WAAAAAY more reliable and has a better belt set up to start with.

The T trim would compare better to the D1sc.
There is a local Mach1 that has gone 10.8x @ 134 witha d1sc. The blower has potential to move a lot of air.
There are two local Lt1s with D1sc's. They both should be knocking on the 9 second door.

What comes with the Procharger kit that you may be buying?

Thanks for answering my question. So I guess if I decide to go Vortech T-Trim it is!

The procharger kit I will be buying is a complete D-1 kit. It is not a self contained blower which tapping into the oil pan has its benefits and disadvantages. Now the kit is used 5,000 miles but it would be installed and tuned by a very reputable LT1 God all for $ 4 G's. What are your opinions on self contained or not self contained and tapping into the oil pan?
I heard that if your going to be running your engine for long amount of time it is better to have just a D-1 for instance Road Racing.

Lets keep this thread going guys lots of good info and I am sure lots of anwered questions will come out of it.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 06:31 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out our '95 Formula with an ATI ProCharger P-1SC that we installed nearly five years ago. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=7
Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One day I will go turbo too. LOL.
You have gone Turbo "TDI"

Sorry to be of no usefull contribution >_>
Old 10-18-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula350
You have gone Turbo "TDI"

Sorry to be of no usefull contribution >_>
This is true. And that little bitty turbo is a blast! To the OP, does the T trim have the cooler? I think they call it an aftercooler. Which brings another question, why call it that?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

see sig
Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is true. And that little bitty turbo is a blast! To the OP, does the T trim have the cooler? I think they call it an aftercooler. Which brings another question, why call it that?
Because it cools the air after the charger.

And the why is ALWAYS "Because we can!"
Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Procharger uses its own cased oil which doesn't heat up that much. Vortech uses the oil that goes through the engine and then through the turbo internals.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Check out our '95 Formula with an ATI ProCharger P-1SC that we installed nearly five years ago. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=7
Thanks Bob You need to open up a shop down here in Dallas. Yall are a very respectful business I am sure you can gather enough funds to move down here. I would be your customer in a heartbeat!

If I go procharger though I am definately going D-1 or D-1sc. What is your experience with both of those as far as would you go self contained or tap into the oil pan? Reliabilty and performance wise. Thanks

I really want to shoot that fluffy he looks so stupid.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Vortech fan, put down 501rwhp on 7.2# on an S-trim and now have upgraded to a T-trim at 11.7# with no new #'s yet. Maybe next week. But we're all expecting 600+.

I wanted the SQ SuperQuiet (angle cut) gears, which is really why I picked Vortech in the first place. Plus back then, Procharger had a bad customer service rep. Now it sounds like they are better.

I suspect that after a hard run the Procharger internal oil will be way hotter than the Vortech's engine oil. That's why they have to run special oil, to deal with both pressures and temp. I have no proof of that, but Corky Bell's book also states that an engine oil driven system will be better performing.

Vortech uses the oil that goes through the engine and then through the turbo internals.
I think you mean blower gearcase internals.

Jim

Quick Reply: Vortech vs Procharger? I Searched and Researched!