LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this right? opti rotor loose??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is this right? opti rotor loose??

My car didnt start and i think my optis bad. I just got my opti off and took a vid of the rotor play and some pics. Is it supposed to be like this? Also on the water pump drive gear which way does it go on? when took it off the ribbed end was facing forward closer to the pump.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...ns%20Am%20LT1/
[/SIZE]
Old 11-17-2007, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

need to know if i should order the new one yet?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

anyone? How hard is it supposed to be to spin the rotor? It sounds like its rubbing but i dont have a small enough torx to get the rotor off and look at the optical sensor.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Launching!

That play in the rotor is normail, it is because the hole in the opti that goes over the cam pin is larger than the cam pin, thus the play in it..

As far as your car not starting, were you not getting fire? is this the reason to suspect the opti? more details please......
Old 11-18-2007, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

my car is a 93 its got the splined drive for the opti. Is the rotor supposed to spin freely? Im pretty sure it is but i think the bearing is shot in the opti because its hard to spin the rotor, like its rubbing. It was getting spark just not enough. I changed the icm and checked the coil and both are fine. I just figured it all out as i was typing this. I already ordered a new Delphi opti, it should be here mid week. Pretty sure mine is shot.

I pulled the number 1 plug wire and put a spark tester on it and when i cranked the motor over it would only spark like once a second. It wasnt a consistent spark. Since the bearing is seizing up and its hard to spin the rotor freely it still sparks just slow. Im pretty sure this is my problem. It makes sense to me, i dont have a torx small enough to get the rotor off and verify this but tomorrow im going to pick one up.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

the bearing in the rotor housing is 1 of the weak points of a stock opti i suggest getting 1 from msd or dyna tech if there still making them thats were i got mine and haven`t had 1 problem rebuilt one`s just come apart
Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

i also have a 93 and went through some similar problems i changed the icm and checked the coil both were good so i changed the opti and it fixed my problem. my opti would spin freely but the bearing was shot and the whole thing was filled with rust. when you install the opti make sure its indexed properly it will slide on very easly they say you cant index them wrong but trust me i did.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys, yea theres a flat spot on the splined shaft just got to line it up right.

Quick Reply: Is this right? opti rotor loose??