LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2-300 Shot, What timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought i did explain!
the spike in my car off the line is roughly 1k added from the N2O(150)
Old 11-25-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see where he is trying to go with this, If you spray nitrous, (especially a higher shot)...The fact that you are putting more load on the engine will put more load on everything. Thus the timing chain runs off the cam and crank, and when the crank spins so does the cam (because the timing chain). So if you have alot of power, thats just one more thing you want to be strong as well. If not for any other reason, just for peace of mind is good enough for me. Not trying to spell it out like your a baby or anything just trying to say what I think he is trying to explain. In short all moving parts of the motor is affected when you add power b/c you have more load on every part. Whether something will break; Well who knows.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are most definately putting ALOT more load on the timing chain. it turns the entire valves train and oil pump as well as the water pump on a stock system.

The acceleration rate is where the load comes from. My car instantly goes from 3,000 to 5,600 the instant you hit the button. I had to build in pressure delays in the system to get it to hit softer and slower.

Now think of it this way. My car goes from 300Ft TQ to almost 800Ft TQ at the 3,500RPM range when I hit the button. This is measured at the wheels through the crank shaft. I am going to guess the TQ used to twist my valve train and oil pump may double as well. Would you not think?

Here is a test.

Take your timing chain off and just put the gear back on. Fully adjust the valve train.

Now try to turn it as fast as you can

Tell me what you think the load is?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys thank you for the help.i was really trying to think of a way i could get my point across without seeming like a jerk!
major point is N2O,supercharger,turbo etc. all put a greater amount of stress on componets.personally i would like to see the inside of an engine with a 150 shot or a turbo set up to watch things move/distort.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

if a timing chaing wouldnt get any stress or load, then they wouldnt stretch and/or break. a friend of mine had a blower/nitrous setup on his car and would snap middle links of the timing chain everytime he would hit the nitrous. we narrowed it down to the timing chain. i would like to see the results of a single roller with that happening. my guess it wouldnt be good, and would most likely snap.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I don't see why running nitrous would make you need to change your timing chain.
It's because of Newton's Second Law of Motion. Let's assume "running nitrous" means a significant increase in power output. Holding all other things equal, this increase in power output will result in the engine accelerating in RPM's at a higher rate, leading to the car accelerating at a higher rate.

So Assumption: Engine Speed Accelerates faster (including valvetrain)
Assumption: Mass of Valvetrain is same with & without nitrous.

Newton's Second Law states: Aggregate FORCE = mass x acceleration (direction of the force is the same direction as the acceleration)

Therefore, if the same mass (your valvetrain) is accelerating faster than before, if MUST mean there is a greater FORCE acting on it than before.

Summary: Nitrous "theoretically" increases the rate at which your valvetrain accelerates. This increased acceleration means there MUST be an increased FORCE acting upon it.

So, does this mean you MUST change your timing set? No. This states that nitrous does indeed increase the force acting upon your timing set, as does ANY power adder. As long as this Force is still within the bounds of the strength of the set...no change is necessary. The real question is, how strong is your timing set? and is the force you will be applying to it safely within those strength parameters?

You will probably get a 100 different answers in regards to "How strong is the stock timing set?"...

Hope that helps,
-Andrew

Last edited by AmericanMuscle33; 11-26-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2-300 Shot, What timing chain?