LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

4LE80 Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO you would lose a lot of the added value of the 4L80E by going to a manual valvebody. No lockup converter, no programmability, the real possibility that you will downshift at the wrong time and over-rev your motor, and lots of jerky gears changes.

If that appeals to you, maybe check out a built TH400 manual valve body for like $1800.

Most of the people I see on this board are running the 80E in full computer mode, so keep asking.

Jim
Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got a Turbo 400 give to me, but I'm not wanting to build it because I still want to keep over drive. Now if I was going to build a tried and true race car you bet I would build that turbo 400 and probably find trans-brake setup, but this car still gonna see alot of action on the street and make somewhat of distant trips from home.

In response to your earlier thread about building everything up except the motor to start with.................Yeah I've done learned that the hard way lol! Rear end went out and I put the 4.10's in and 3 days later over drive and drive went out and drove about 18 miles in 2nd gear to get it home. Wish now I had been more patient and saved up to do 8.8 hybrid rear, but I got all antzie wanting to drive my car. Oh well lesson learned!

I found someone in the local area who put automatic LS style tranny in his LT1 T/A (Not sure which model tranny it is 4LE60/65/80/85??? But I'm gonna go talk to him and find out a little more about it and see if I can get a "hands on idea" of what he went through to put it in. I do apprecaite the links and advice ya'll have given so far. Keep it coming

Quick Reply: 4LE80 Swap Help