LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Flywheel noise? clank clank clank click :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel noise? clank clank clank click :(

Searched but couldnt find an answer:

Two days ago my car just started making one of the most annoying noises ever. The clutch and all components were replaced about 5 months ago by the previous owner.

I am hearing a clanking/clicking sound that is coming from the transmission (M6). It is relative to engine RPM speed...so the clicking gets faster as I rev the engine. After about 2500rpm, the noise goes away.

My guess is the noise has to be coming from the flywheel because the sound does not change at all if I engange or release the clutch. I'm pretty sure the previous owner also said that the flywheel was resurfaced prior to installation.

So question is, what the hell is causing this noise? Only thing I can think of is the flywheel was installed incorrectly...either they bolts were not torqued right or they were not installed in the correct order. Any other factors that could cause the noise? I have not noticed any effects to driveability of the car and I don't feel any vibrations coming from it.

I know i'll end up having to pull the tranny out to fix the problem...would just like to get some ideas to possible causes
Old 12-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Probably an incorrect installation. I've always used locktite or something similar when installing flywheel/flexplate/torque converter bolts.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

check the bolts, they're probably a bit loose, had the same issue but it was on a flexplate, replaced the bolts (just in case) and torqued them down properly and problem solved.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:57 PM

is it possible the starter could be playing a roll in this? I think I read somewhere where someone said the starter "crown" broke off and was making noise in the transmission. But then again if the crown broke off the starter, wouldnt that make it completely useless?

And also i've noticed when I start the car, the starter seems to make a loud scraping type noise. I'm pretty sure it's NOT skipping teeth becaust it starts up fine everytime...the loud scrape sound just seems unusual to me and didnt know if that was normal.

and I've ruled out the pressure plate because the noise im hearing is the same if the clutch is engaged or not.

Quick Reply: Flywheel noise? clank clank clank click :(