LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ltx shootout.. Weight question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ltx shootout.. Weight question

I was just curious why the nitrous guys don't get a weight break over the turbo/blower guys? The turbo/blower guys have proven to go consistently faster.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:26 PM
8 Second Club

My Turbo car weighs in at over 3500 raceweight. Nitrous car's will be at 3200 There is no way to get a turbo car that light and be legal.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the top, because I'm a street car to slow to even be in this discussion. :0
Old 12-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1camaroman93
I was just curious why the nitrous guys don't get a weight break over the turbo/blower guys? The turbo/blower guys have proven to go consistently faster.

jay dont you know by now,.. the rules were built around the guys that built their cars already and they give 2 ***** about the rest of the people..
Old 12-27-2007, 07:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mario89
jay dont you know by now,.. the rules were built around the guys that built their cars already and they give 2 ***** about the rest of the people..
Thats funny that you say that when 7 out of 9 of the organizers who made the classes and rules are nitrous cars.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Thats funny that you say that when 7 out of 9 of the organizers who made the classes and rules are nitrous cars.

I'm not trying to start a war, I am just curious what the reasoning was. Just about every class I see gives the nitrous cars a weight break. I am kicking around the idea of slapping a lt1 in my chassis just to come play.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

I know the rules are stock suspension, but are you guys mainly concerned that it stays a torque arm car with factory location lca's? I'm rocking a wishbone instead of a panhard and using coil overs.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:24 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

coil over's on the rear is one of the items we had not allowed, Tony let me know if I am wrong here. I used to run a wishbone for part of a season 3 years ago. my 60's were no better, and I lost ground clearance. I don't see them being an "advantage" in my eyes. but then again i am far from being a susp. tuning master, that is better left to people like Madman
Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think there needs to be more clarity in the rules for next year. I'm sure there will be some disgruntled racers this year with definitions of certain things, like what is "Stock suspension" and things like that.

I thought the Nitrous vs. Turbo aspect looked biased toward the juice cars as turbo cars are being limited to 81mm but nothing about a limit on the N2O jet size.

I do think CIVIL discussion about the different class will yeild a better event for next year though. Even though this year will be fun as well

Last edited by 95ttoplt1; 12-27-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am telling you man It would not mater if N2O cars got a 500 break my car just won't get light and stay street legal!

I think I need to get some POS like Luigi28 and rip every thing but the seat out of it and call it fast
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
I think there needs to be more clarity in the rules for next year. I'm sure there will be some disgruntled racers this year with definitions of certain things, like what is "Stock suspension" and things like that.

I thought the Nitrous vs. Turbo aspect looked biased toward the juice cars as turbo cars are being limited to 81mm but nothing about a limit on the N2O jet size.

I do think CIVIL discussion about the different class will yeild a better event for next year though. Even though this year will be fun as well
An 81mm turbo will make plenty more power than you could safely hit an lt1 block with nitrous. You guys have fun at the shootout, maybe next year coil overs will be allowed. I'm still going to drive down to watch this year.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lt1camaroman93
An 81mm turbo will make plenty more power than you could safely hit an lt1 block with nitrous. You guys have fun at the shootout, maybe next year coil overs will be allowed. I'm still going to drive down to watch this year.
I agree, spraying that much on an LT1 block would be asking for it, but they did impose some kinda limitations on the turbo cars. And seeing that 7 out of 9 people that made the rules have nitrous cars, this might effect why the limit is what it is.

Maybe next year they can have a nitrous and seperate FI class.

I still think this is a great thing, and looks well organized so far for a first year event. I mean look at the NHRA, they have been doing this crap for a long time and they turn out a new rule book every year.

I think you should take your car and race, what do you have to lose?? The 50 dollar entry fee?? It'll probably cost 15 bucks to watch, so your only out about 35 bucks to race other LT1 guys. I know I'd pay that any day.

Hell I'd even tow my car 1700 miles one way to do it

Last edited by 95ttoplt1; 12-28-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
I agree, spraying that much on an LT1 block would be asking for it, but they did impose some kinda limitations on the turbo cars. And seeing that 7 out of 9 people that made the rules have nitrous cars, this might effect why the limit is what it is.

Maybe next year they can have a nitrous and seperate FI class.

I still think this is a great thing, and looks well organized so far for a first year event. I mean look at the NHRA, they have been doing this crap for a long time and they turn out a new rule book every year.

I think you should take your car and race, what do you have to lose?? The 50 dollar entry fee?? It'll probably cost 15 bucks to watch, so your only out about 35 bucks to race other LT1 guys. I know I'd pay that any day.

Hell I'd even tow my car 1700 miles one way to do it
I can't take my car and race, it has coil overs out back
Old 12-28-2007, 02:35 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

lt1camaroman,

any way to bolt in stock shock and coils for the event? i don't mean to be ignorant in asking, please don't be offended.

i see your point about n2o cars having a bit of a weight break. it was overlooked, no purposely though.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think that will be something that will change next year when/if they add a day and can add some more classes.

I kinda thought the stock suspension rule was kinda silly for an Outlaw class. There really isn't class for the real nasty cars, with ladder bars, 4 links ect. You know the real dedicated race cars and the crowd pleasers. And limiting the Corvettes to stock suspension and the F-bodys to the same really limits the vettes more than the F-body's IMO.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:41 PM
8 Second Club

maybe next year they should have a class with non-stock suspension. or maybe just have a weight penalty or something so more cars could attend.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9sec93
maybe next year they should have a class with non-stock suspension. or maybe just have a weight penalty or something so more cars could attend.
Problem there is if we add a weight penalty on cars with 4-links....etc most of those types of cars weigh 3000 lbs so they would have to add even more weight to make the event.

I already have some ideas for the next event. Might even make two Outlaw classes if I saw enough interest. One for stock suspension and one for modified suspension. May do it for this event if enough people will show interest. Its just very hard to change things this late.

Last edited by Tony Shepherd; 12-28-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by taner
lt1camaroman,

any way to bolt in stock shock and coils for the event? i don't mean to be ignorant in asking, please don't be offended.

i see your point about n2o cars having a bit of a weight break. it was overlooked, no purposely though.
Nope. The axle housing doesn't have provisions for factory location shocks, springs or panhard. I'll be sure to have something for next years event though.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think maybe we should start a little list of next years possible classes as I would think changing things this late would be counter productive.

I hope I can make it this year, but I will be ther in 09 for sure as long as the Army doesn't find it necessary to deploy me right away again.

I would be happy to work with Tanner in developing a fair set of rules for a pumpgas class as it seems we are both kinda on the same page as far as that goes.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Since we are all making suggestions on what to do for next year, can we maybe make the shootout the second week in may? It's shitty b/c I just started grad school and will have finals consistently for the next four years the week after the shootout on the current date. If we could get a date between may 10 and august 4th I will definitely be attending. Dont know if that is possible, but keep me in mind