LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pressure question

alright well i also am having a little deal with my oil pressure... at cold start up it runs like maxed out, and warm idle it runs at about 20 or so... driving normally it runs at about 40s, but when i go WOT it sends about 50, but the car sorta stalls when its increasing in rpms, and today i noticed that the oil pressure starts slowly dropping and kinda studdering on me... so what does that sound like? is that a oil pump goin out, or the sender unit or what?
also, if i were to look on auto zone for a sending unit, what do i search for to find this? cuz i tried sending unit and found nothing...
Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil pressure sender varies by year. Go to the GM dealer, won't cost much more and they will be able to get you the right one for your year.
1) change oil;, see if it affects the way the gauge reads. Tired oil can.
2) change sender with factory part (don't screw up the install, it's a pain in the rear to get to at the rear of the intake, slightly on driver's side, and you probably need the correct tool to get it out without breaking off the base - don't break the sender - ask me how I know) and see if it was a sender issue
3) then and ONLY then, worry about whether you have a pickup tube issue or something else going on.

ALL of THIS is normal:
"at cold start up it runs like maxed out, and warm idle it runs at about 20 or so... driving normally it runs at about 40s, but when i go WOT it sends about 50, but the car sorta stalls when its increasing in rpms"

And THIS is probably just you obsessing on what the gauge does since other people started talking about oil pressure issues:
"and today i noticed that the oil pressure starts slowly dropping and kinda studdering on me"

A clear indication of the oil pickup tube problem is when the oil pressure drops to / towards indicated zero under hard accleration or braking, usuall doesn't last more than a second or so.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Launching!

it is also called an oil pressure switch, try that to find it on autozone's website, some people list it that way for what ever reason.. I agree with what boody said, try those steps and see what happens first.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i mean when i get on it the oil gauge goes down to like prob 30-35 sometimes at about 4500 rpms... which def. isnt good, but it builds back up after it shifts out of first... and it does only usually happen for a second or so...
Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

but ya ill try changing the sending unit out... cuz i changed the oil last week in it and it didnt help any
Old 01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright well i went and got a new switch and a socket for it (some cheaply built but not so cheap socket), but i have no idea whatsoever of where to locate this stupid switch lol...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k well after further reading into the forums, i think my best bet is to pull off the intake... so ill do that
lol sorry for talkin to myself
Old 01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

lol thats not needed reach your hand back there and feel it/ its like to the right of the fpr used a small mirrior to see it
Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k well ill try that way first... but i sure dont want to break this off and be out of luck
Old 01-05-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just as an fyi the factory oil "cooler" can also clog and make oil pressure suffer 2 or 3 psi, but even if its clogged solid its not going to kill your oil pressure enough to cause problems.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure question