LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 Vs 355

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSXNV
i still get a kick outta you guys fretting over gas mileage in these fuel injected cars. guess i'm still stuck in carburator world. any way, a larger engine will always be more streetable then a smaller engine given the horsepower is the same, since the larger will make the horsepower at lower rpm. not to mention the torque (the fun part) will be lower in the rpm range as well. the trade off in mileage between a 355, 358, 370, 383, 388 will be almost negligable given a proper tune. not to mention, YOU ARE FUEL INJECTED! i still giggle at my mileage in my '97 M6 T/A compared to my 462cubed, 3200stalled '65 Pontiac LeMans. sorry, i guess gas mileage is realitive.
Welcome it is now 2008
Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KriegerEhre
the cc306 isn't a bad cam from what i've seen I know you had bad luck with it in your 383 build but dont let it sturr you away from it still . . . . you can always get a custom grind cam for about the same price as any of these mass marketed cams.
urggg are those the only cams in the damn LT1 world????????????

CC306,Hotcam blah blah the same 4 cams come up in every singel damn thread, you know why LT1s dont make LS1 power? Aside from the fact its a better motor LT1 guys are STUCK ON THE SAME SETUP and just play copy cat....

Why is it the custom cam only guys are going fast then some of the 383 JUNK on this forum? Because there cars are setup right..

Hell there are some 383s on here, with little pee wee cams that are setup right, to there setup going 11s all day..

If your broke either do a 355, or just do a stock rebuild and Up the compression, then get a very nice small cam for the setup with a almost stock idle and mild manors so you can still get good MPG.....

And please get the thing tuned, nothing is going to run like it should without a tune

Everyone wants a race car, then when they have to drive it every day then they dont want it anymore...
Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
I SAID LT4 CAM

NOT THE HOT CAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LT4 cam and HOT CAM are two different things
You are correct. My bad.
I think we all tend to be more "hot cam" mind centric considering nobody runs the "normal" LT4 cam.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wrd1972
You are correct. My bad.
I think we all tend to be more "hot cam" mind centric considering nobody runs the "normal" LT4 cam.
No problem man
Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i am going to do a lt4 hotcam kit but not the cam.
You are SERIOUSLY pointed in the wrong direction!

The kit is engineered to work together and anything bigger than that cam and those springs are toast. So basically if you plan on doing what you posted above then the only thing you are buying the kit for would be for the roller rockers!

The hotcam kit itself is not a bad way to go for the budget. Dollar for dollar and performance and reliability it is even cheaper than nitrous. YES I SAID IT!

You can flame on that kit all you want but a fact is a fact. For @ $500 dollars you get the kit and add up to 100 rwhp depending on mods. It is there anytime you press the right pedal and you can drive it anywhere all day long. To get equivalent results with N20 YOU HAVE TO RUN A 150 KIT WHICH COSTS MORE AND HAS TO BE REFILLED AND ONLY RUNS THAT WHEN THE BOTTLE IS MORE THAN 50% FULL. Like I said dollar per dollar it is cheaper. I am not saying that there aren't any better cams or setups out there, but in the same budget range you will find nothing. The HCK will put your car into the 12's all day long, take you to get your groceries and still give you a pretty decent mpg.It is also the easiest install available for someone who is looking to mod and do the work themselves.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slick1851
Welcome it is now 2008
i know dude, and with carbed LS1 intakes, its a great time to be alive!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Is there a 355 kit that will give me 500hp and also cheap. Plz help me out i know that i do want to do a 355. im just kind of stuck with what to get that is under 3,000.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

never cheap out when building a car.. ive learned that first hand
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
You're a ******* idiot. You're still in your little world and believe that the car is the same as you last saw it a year and some odd months ago. Grow the **** up

The car has recently put down 337.. you can believe what you want. get that **** out of your ***
So what did you change to gain over 30rwhp?

plus the previous tune was for ****... i was missing in all cylinders because of pre-detonation.. he had the timing advanced way too far
The old tune was fine, and you even posted saying the new tune didn't fix it.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

the new tune is great.. it was the spark plugs that were fried so i was getting no spark.. as soon as i changed those out the car ran like it was brand new
Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
So what did you change to gain over 30rwhp?
pullies, electric water pump, intake was mildly self ported, the new injectors plus the new tune.. and the old tune was not fine... the previous owner himself told me it wasnt the best tune.. it was just to get the car running after the rebuild/hotcam swap
Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gatorhead
You are SERIOUSLY pointed in the wrong direction!

The kit is engineered to work together and anything bigger than that cam and those springs are toast. So basically if you plan on doing what you posted above then the only thing you are buying the kit for would be for the roller rockers!

The hotcam kit itself is not a bad way to go for the budget. Dollar for dollar and performance and reliability it is even cheaper than nitrous. YES I SAID IT!

You can flame on that kit all you want but a fact is a fact. For @ $500 dollars you get the kit and add up to 100 rwhp depending on mods. It is there anytime you press the right pedal and you can drive it anywhere all day long. To get equivalent results with N20 YOU HAVE TO RUN A 150 KIT WHICH COSTS MORE AND HAS TO BE REFILLED AND ONLY RUNS THAT WHEN THE BOTTLE IS MORE THAN 50% FULL. Like I said dollar per dollar it is cheaper. I am not saying that there aren't any better cams or setups out there, but in the same budget range you will find nothing. The HCK will put your car into the 12's all day long, take you to get your groceries and still give you a pretty decent mpg.It is also the easiest install available for someone who is looking to mod and do the work themselves.

Maybe in 2000, there are alot of choices out there now do not limit your selfs
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ATAY383
Is there a 355 kit that will give me 500hp and also cheap. Plz help me out i know that i do want to do a 355. im just kind of stuck with what to get that is under 3,000.

Um no.................................Were did you get this idea from?

Buy a good head n cam and make over 400whp, and please research things
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

pullies, electric water pump, intake was mildly self ported, the new injectors plus the new tune.. and the old tune was not fine... the previous owner himself told me it wasnt the best tune.. it was just to get the car running after the rebuild/hotcam swap
Makes sense, you got a good tune and elec pump frees up power no reason to doubt that..

You will be shocked at some performance shops not being able to give out a decent tune but think they are hot ****
Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe in 2000, there are alot of choices out there now do not limit your selfs
I cannot and will not deny that fact.
Those choices include many camshaft designs all of which require a new spring, which in turn requires machine work to get the proper install heigth.
Then it would be best to run an NSA rocker vs. and SA rocker, but that would require guides and hardened pushrods.
The maximum you could see on a stock head non ported (remembering the HCK doesn't need a port job) you could achieve with ANY of those camshafts and springs would be a whopping 30 RWHP over the HCK and that to me doesn't justfy the extra bux.
So add it all up machine work, NSA rockers, springs, locks, retainers, locators andcamshaft and you have quite a bit more than what the HCK costs and not a whole lot more than what it produced
My point is not that the HCK is the greatest thing ever invented for the LT1. It is that it IS a very economical option for those aspiring to merely pep up their performance and still have a decent dd or cruiser. It is limited to itself, but will also improve with bolt on modifications and yes even some head work. However I am not advocating that if you are to go so far as to have your heads done to hold yourself back with the HCK.
I also understand that the smaller 227, and LPE grinds fit into the same category, but again the costs of springs put them into the same category as going bigger. Not to mention that when you take all of those cams 227,211,219 and compare them to the HCK with bolt ons they start losing their characterisitics by the time you introduce exhaust and intake (ie tb and cai).
It is what it is, and it has a proven history to produce for the price thats all I am saying. I think that it can and should be appreciated, even though newer technology has surpassed it, it holds its own for the budget orientated.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
typically it's about the same to do either.
Using a stock crank vs a forged crank(383) and also the extra maching in clearancing adds up to be a big difference, and the stock crank is PLENTY strong.

pretty close.. i dyno'd at 337whp and 362wtq just recently.. A4 stock stall. blah
Your not going to hit 400+ rwhp.

As for the topic starter, do you have $3,000 for just the PARTS or for parts and labor? I suggest you first find someone or a shop close to you that knows what they are doing!

What happened to the 383? Need more details and a list of what all mods you already have(bolt ons/etc), then we can help you more.

My honest suggestion from what information I've gathered is a budget setup, stock shortblock low mileage(50,000 or less...or just put new bearings in it) matched with a le1 heads/cam setup. This will give you a nice solid setup that will make enough power to go low 12's or high 11's(setup properly), drive great, and should be reliable.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by skinnies
Your not going to hit 400+ rwhp.
Says who? I bet with a nice set of heads with a matching cam, ported intake, a stall and a tune i can. I don't see why you even said that. I never said i can hit 400whp with my setup.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

Says who? I bet with a nice set of heads with a matching cam, ported intake, a stall and a tune i can. I don't see why you even said that. I never said i can hit 400whp with my setup.
Because with the hotcam and ported heads and A STALLED AUTOMATIC you are not going to hit 400rwhp.

Edit: here is where you said what I am referring to..

i have a 355 with a hotcam setup... makes reasonable power... with some heads im looking at 400+ whp
heads plus hot cam plus stalled auto does NOT equal 400rwhp

Last edited by skinnies; 01-22-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

plus a 50 shot

lol im joking.. yeah i know what you mean.. i meant a heads/cam package but wrote something else.. sorry about that
Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

plus a 50 shot

lol im joking.. yeah i know what you mean.. i meant a heads/cam package but wrote something else.. sorry about that
Some people really do think they can get that power with the hotcam, which isn't really doable. Depending on your stall, you might not be able to with the heads/cam setup. My le3 setup only made 377rwhp through my coan 4000 stall.

Quick Reply: 383 Vs 355