LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark plug changing help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug changing help!

alrighty... well me and a friend last night started changin my spark plugs and wires... took an hour to do the drivers side... and it wasnt that bad really... but we move to the passenger side... and plug #2 took us like an hour and a half to finally get to, and we never ended up being able to take it off cuz i had to leave for school and he had work in the morning... so is there any way to make it easier to get to plug number two, or that whole passenger side for that matter?
also, we tried both working on top and underneath, and neither seemed to make the job look any easier... so any advice at all would help
plugs 4, 6, and 8 are all visible from underneath, but they also dont look like much fun to take off either...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

if you have manifolds, ill keep you in my prayers. i remember changing mine when i first got the car, man was it a pain. all i can say is goodluck and keep fishing. you'll get it eventually. do yourself a favor and buy headers
Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha well i have thought seriously about getting a set of headers... but i just cant make up my mind...
i think if i did it i would regret getting them because i know i will end up getting shorty headers just because ive heard they are tons easier to install and bolt up to the factory y... and i just wouldnt have the money to either start fabricating and building a new exhaust after buying a set of headers, but then again i wouldnt get the full effect of headers without long tubes...

so basically thats all i can do though? pray and hope i get somewhat lucky and get a wrench on it?
lol last night we had two universal extensions on the socket and another extension just to be able to get to it... but there was no way that baby was turning correctly with all the different ways it needed to swivel and twist and turn lol... so hopefully this weekend we can try again and maybe think of a different way to go about doing things...

Last edited by squeals99; 01-28-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was able to get 2,4,6 from the top. my arm didnt like it but its possible. #8 was the only one i couldnt get to when i had stock manifolds. did you remove the alternator? makes it easier for #2
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

get a set of used pacesetters and y-pipe, you wont need to change the catback u have....and yes like badazz said, remove the alt. i also had a real tough time getting plug number 8.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

back when my setup was more stock I had to lay acrossed the engine to get the angle right to get my arm in for the number 2... now, after pulling most of the unneeded crap out of the engine bay I have no issues with any of the plugs...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

On my Z28 disconnected battery, took off two starter mounting bolts, left electronics hooked up, and slid starter forward 6 inches to make room to get at #8. Not sure if TA is exactly the same.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

On my 93 I did all the plugs from under the car. I ended up threading my arms between the Kmember and around the y pipe for the passenger side, and it actually went pretty fast. As for the wires on that bank, I really don't know an easy way to do it.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well yeah the only way we tried #2 was by taking the alternator off and working up top because the plug wasnt even visible from below when we were looking... so i guess we'll just have to try again... well actually we tried from below for a while too... and ended up even trying to give ourselves more room by taking the tensioner off the front to work around also, but that didnt help much either
Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i just wait until i have to pull the motor no really, after a few times... its still just as much of a bitch (that is unless you remove everything you dont REALLY need... hint hint)
Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

another question... what is that tube on the passenger side that runs between the motor and the inner fender? because it is in the way big time and would help tremendously if it was out of the way
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

which one? the tube running to the firewall is you AC lines the on down behind the ALT. blocking the access to the #2 is for the power steering...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright well ya it is for #2 so i am guessing it is the power steering... how would we go about disconnecting that hose? i need to drain my power steering fluid anyway, so might as well do it while i can get to it rather easy..

also, would it hurt to run synthetic power steering fluid vs. regular? like will it do anything to the extent of adding years to the life of my power steering pump? or is it just sold because some people think synthetics are the gods of all lubes?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

disconnecting that will be a beotch but it can be done, you do it but it will be a lot of work. Oh and I forgot to ask it you still have you A.I.R system that pipe could be back there too, I can't remember since it has been a while since I have seen one of them...

It might be easier to pull the ALT. then loosen the accessory bracket to try and get to the #2, I never tried that but it will get some of that crap out of your way...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah well we could get a socket on the plug when we pulled the alternator, but it was just the fact of being able to get a wrench down to it, or using an extension and ratchet were almost both impossible... and i think i still have all the A.I.R. system and all that good stuff... i know i havent taken it off, but to be honest with ya i dont know too much about all of that stuff to know what it would look like to be able to tell ya if i do have it or not without the car in front of me and looking at a pic of it on a car or something...

Quick Reply: Spark plug changing help!