LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Should just cut the entire piece out, thats what pretty much everyone else is doin. Search on it and youll find a lot of pics.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend and I headed down to Jason's today to work on the car. We didn't get there as early as I'd have liked because my friend was taking forever, but he made up for it in how much he helped me out.

I started with the angle grinder on cutting the inner fenders as he took the driver's side off.

This is what it turned out like:

I then drew templates of the passenger's side and cut them out while my friend taped off the area and painted it flat black. We did that because I noticed all the metal shavings from the day before had completely rusted overnight and I didn't want to leave the fender area open to potentially rusting. I then drew the templates on the passenger side, but decided to wait on cutting it because Jason's car was right next to mine and I didn't want to shower it with sparks. I'd already moved one car and didn't want to feal like I was in the way. I'll finish it next time.

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
Should just cut the entire piece out, thats what pretty much everyone else is doin. Search on it and youll find a lot of pics.
I would have done that had I done a little more research before I started cutting. At this point it's way too much work to take the fender back off, recut the inner fender area, put the fender back on, and realign the gaps.

After that I decided to take the driver's side header off to mock up the header I found that looked like a good potential turbo manifold. The front bolts were easy and really loose. I got them all out really easily, but then.... I figured out why who ever started to doing the headers decided to stop.

They broke one of the freaking bolts off in the head:

I started trying to get it out, but it was tedious work. We let the paint dry on the fender while we worked on it with vice grips. I tried to get the hooker shorty out of there with the bolt still stuck in the head, but it stuck out just enough to prevent me from extracting it. I got the bolt out a good ways, but by the time we had to pack up it still wasn't all the way out. We were getting sick of messing with that so instead we reinstalled the passenger's side fender. We were concentrating on getting all the gaps just right. Despite being very difficult to accomplish we got all the bolts in the right places and the gaps just right. Next time I go down there I just have to tighten them down and reinstall the plastic inner fender.

Here's a picture of the header I found that might work as a turbo manifold. It has 1-3/4 primaries and is square port, but it should work with some rerouting of the back primary, a new D port flange, and getting rid of the ABS block which I planned on doing anyways.

New Questions:

1. Anyone know of a stock ECM 93 turbo car or the difficulties of doing this?

2. I plan on using the hooker shorty on the passenger side, but it has 1-5/8 primaries. Does anyone see a flow issue here? I don't know how well it would or if there would be any problem at all using a 1-5/8 primary with a long crossover with a 1-3/4 primary with a short tube to meet with the crossover.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Default 2-26-08 Progress

I headed down to the shop to work on the car. We were under a tornado warning so I knew it was going to rain again. I tried to get as much cutting done on the driver's side fender as I could. As I was cutting out the first box it started pouring. I tried to get as much done as I could, before it started puddling. I pried the first one out and went to start the angle grinder, but it died. The extension cord had a short in it and I took that as a sign to stop right there.

I unplugged that thing and climbed under my hood for rain protection. I finished getting that bolt out of the head. I then tried to pull the header out, but it was stuck against the steering rack. It absolutely would not come out. No matter how I pushed, pulled, or finagled the thing it was stuck. Eventually, I had to take out the center wobly part of the steering shaft to get it the header out. During which time I noticed that the bolt I had extracated wasn't the only one that was stuck. The absolutely very last bolt in the back had broken off inside the head.

I then tried to mock up a bunch of different header options for the turbo setup. The original manifold I planned on using was way too wide and wouldn't even fit. I dug around the shop and found another one. I slid it in and bam, it works quite well. I'll still have to reroute the last primary as it hits the steering shaft, but at least it fits. Another nice thing is that it doesn't use the very last bolt in the head so I don't have to worry about getting it out of there any time soon.

Here's a picture of the new driver's side header:

I'm still in kind of a quandry over the passenger's side. The problem is I want to keep the ac and power steering. I tried the stocker and the hooker shorty I have. Both of them kind of have the flange too far back. Ideally, I'd like to run the crossover under the oil pan in front of the sump. The way it sits now it's kind of far back, but I'm not sure. I didnt' get a chance to get under the car as my work area was completely flooded again. Jason said he has a set of block huggers some where around the shop that he thinks would work on the passenger's side. We didn't locate them, but have an idea where they are.

I have the driver's side header with me. I'm going to take some measurements and order an extra couple feet of tubing in the same size and a D port flange. I'm I have to work on Thursday, but I should be able to head down all day on Friday and see what I can get done.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude this is such an awesome informative project.... ur giving a lot of us great ideas... including myself... i kinda want to do the same thing ur doing... buy another LT1 just for the track... but i dont think i can afford both
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project! Makes me want to do something with my LT1 other than sell it after I finally fix it
Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Good luck with the car keep us posted
Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you finish this one. lol. sucks about your LS1.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
dude this is such an awesome informative project.... ur giving a lot of us great ideas... including myself... i kinda want to do the same thing ur doing... buy another LT1 just for the track... but i dont think i can afford both
Thanks, 95% of the ideas I've gotten are on this site. I just gone my own way on how to implement them. There's an amazing amount of information on this site and it's helped me out a lot with working on this car.

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Nice project! Makes me want to do something with my LT1 other than sell it after I finally fix it
Originally that's what I was going to do, but once I got working on it I changed my mind. I started thinking why am I doing all this to drive it for a little while and then sell it? I'll probably sell my 95 at some point. I'd like something nice to drive all the time. It's alright, but the electrical issues drive me insane.

Originally Posted by RED94Z28
Good luck with the car keep us posted
Thanks, and will do.

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
make sure you finish this one. lol. sucks about your LS1.
Yeah, this one might sit for a little while, this turbo stuff is extremely expensive. I really want to get my Formula operational. I still can't believe it did that. I've only heard of one other person who had something like that happen.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I recieved something special today.... MY TURBO! I'm pretty stoked it got here. The guy I got it from seemed a little shady because of how cheaply I got it. Which he was, but I'm just excited it actually arrived. It's a Garrett GT42 - 74mm - T6 Flange - 1.15 AR and a crap ton larger than I thought it was going to be. I'm definetly going to have to stand up the radiator as much as I was trying to avoid it.

Pictures:

The only part that sucks is it isn't as the guy said it was. He said it was fine, but it definetly has some shaft play in it. If I spin it a certain way I can hear the blades just barely touching the compressor housing. I took a video of it on my phone and sent it to my email, but I can't watch it. It says I have to download some video player and gives me a link, but the link doesn't work. If anyone lets me know how to do it with a tmobile phone I'll try and get it operational. All in all I'm pretty happy for getting it for $600.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet dude! so its gonna be a stock LT1 with a turbo stripped down? ahhh i cant wait to see this thing done
Old 02-28-2008, 08:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Looking good....curious to see how much weight you get out of it.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I'll be heading down with my friend tomorrow to work on the car. I want to get the fenders finished and maybe attack the leaking freeze plug. I'm also going to try and get the turbo system set up to see where I'm going to have to hack, hammer, and clearance. I need to order a distribution block so I can get rid of the ABS block. It's really in the way.

I should have bought a damn Pinks All Out ticket when they went on sale. I didn't think I'd have this done by then so I didn't. Now they're sold out. I'll probably still head down there as we have a few shop cars that are going. Jason's taking his 95 Camaro LS1 turbo car (http://www.modernperformancetech.com...?p=492#post492) and my friend Ryan is taking his 95 Camaro 396 Gen I SBC car (http://www.modernperformancetech.com...?p=473#post473). Both should be in the 10.5-11.0 range.

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
sweet dude! so its gonna be a stock LT1 with a turbo stripped down? ahhh i cant wait to see this thing done
Yep, pretty much. It will be quite sweet. I'm expecting quite a few things to go boom once I get it running though. I'm thinking the trans is going to be the first. I'm going to try and find a cheap 4l80E ($100-200ish) and put a RMVB, trans brake and some good clutches in it once the stocker dies. It should hold out fine at the power level I'll be at. Trying not to get too in depth into this one and having two unfinished projects is the hard part.

Originally Posted by silver95
Looking good....curious to see how much weight you get out of it.
I was too until I saw that this turbo weighs about 45 pounds. Doh! It should still weight a lot less than I started with once it's done. I'm thinking I can take about 100+ pounds out of the interior.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Teching In

This is a go or go home project. Unfortunitely we go, work on it, and do go home. Kinda funny.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSFreak
This is a go or go home project. Unfortunitely we go, work on it, and do go home. Kinda funny.
Oh yeah and as for the fat *** turbo. Look at my fat Turbo...yaaarrrrr gooogim-himer!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

you say itll be a street car...by the looks of it im sure you have someone thatll inspect it for you but theoretically you need the horn for inspection...but thatll be the least of your worries lol
Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MagnaTransAm0098
you say itll be a street car...by the looks of it im sure you have someone thatll inspect it for you but theoretically you need the horn for inspection...but thatll be the least of your worries lol
Florida has no state inspection as far as I know.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by MagnaTransAm0098
For me as long as it has AC, PS, and runs on 93 it's a street car. That's my own personal opinion mostly based upon living in Florida where it's hot as hell all the time.

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Florida has no state inspection as far as I know.
Correctamundo. We can pretty much get away with what ever we want down here. It's quite nice.

Originally Posted by SSFreak
Yeah, the 45+ minuted drive down, then back is always fun.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

My friend and I headed down to Jason's today and miraculously it didn't rain. Even though we got there a little later than I planned we got quite a bit done rather quickly. I chopped the driver's side fender to match the passenger's and my friend painted it to prevent rusting. Then we got the passenger's side fender aligned which was a major pain in the ***. After that we bolted on the driver's fender. Which was a piece of cake compared to the passenger's side. As I was tightening the bolts my friend tightened down the hood. The way that I got it the bolts on the passenger's side of the hood weren't tightened down all the way. You could slam the hood and it wouldn't latch. Instead you'd have to keep slamming it and hope eventually it would catch. We basically got the whole front aligned. We got those little plastic things that hold the hood up in the front off of a totalled car in the back and they fixed all our alignment issues right away.

After getting the front end back together we tried to start mocking up the turbo set up. During which I basically messed up the alignment big time. I had taken the flex section out of the steering shaft. I was trying to turn the steering wheel and the flex section came undone. I was pulling on it so hard that when it came loose the steering wheel spun around about 30 times. When we tried to put it back on the steering wheel was upside down. OOPS... I'll fix it on Tuesday. Onto the pictures:

Here's how the driver's side header fits. It clears everything, but the steering shaft nicely.

This is kind of a crappy picture I took, but here's where the turbo is going to go. I really need to get rid of the abs block. As you can see in the back it's hitting on the turbo. I need to order a proportioning valve and chuck that thing. I'm also going to reroute the fuel lines like LALT1's thread. I don't want those lines close to a nuclear hot turbo and it'll look quite a bit nicer.

On Tuesday I'm going to try and reroute the fuel lines and if I can get a proportioning valve by then put that in also. I'm going to fix and get the steering shaft bolted back down. After that I'm done under the hood other than getting the turbo set up. Then it's onto the interior and cutting out all the old useless wiring. The coolest thing that happened today though is my friend Ryan said he'd give me all the interior panels and seats out of his car. Which is absolutely awesome and I've got to give him major props for helping me out big time.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 02-29-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
the 45+ minuted drive down, then back is always fun.
Now that is commitment! Very cool of your buddy to help you out like that on the interior
Old 03-01-2008, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

never even realized you live in FL Im in PA and its a bitch...were the air bags goog in the car? I thought if you spin the wheel to much it will break the clock spring?

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project