LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 93 which I bought last July had the whole passenger seat covered in coffee....and the carpet had coffee stains everywhere. I got it for a good price, so I really didn't mind putting the work into it. It came with the cam in it and all of the motor mods, I put the converter and transmission into it. Nice project, I hope to put a nice big turbo on mine after college...though I was thinking 6.0 truck block..
Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sleepers are always really really cool...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would definitely put some black carpet in there, never liked that tan ****. looks like a woman on her monthly cycle got busy in the back seat of your car and then sat in the front on the way home.

i'm interested in the a/c compressor if there is one. pm let me know the status of that part.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slingshot928
My 93 which I bought last July had the whole passenger seat covered in coffee....and the carpet had coffee stains everywhere. I got it for a good price, so I really didn't mind putting the work into it. It came with the cam in it and all of the motor mods, I put the converter and transmission into it. Nice project, I hope to put a nice big turbo on mine after college...though I was thinking 6.0 truck block..
Coffee is absolutely ******* disgusting. I'd have to kill anyone if they ever spill coffee in any of my cars. I can't even stand the smell of it.

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
sleepers are always really really cool...
Yes, they are . Muahaha . The people that street race around here aren't exactly the brightest crayons in the box and I'll just leave it at that.

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
i would definitely put some black carpet in there, never liked that tan ****. looks like a woman on her monthly cycle got busy in the back seat of your car and then sat in the front on the way home.

i'm interested in the a/c compressor if there is one. pm let me know the status of that part.
My black carpet came in yesterday. I'm not a big fan of the tanish grey colored carpet either. Your analogy works quite well to describe the carpet although I can't really tell what color the stains were.

I'll be keeping the ac in the car as odd as that may sound to a ton of people on here. I'll dig around the shop and see if one is down there. I know there's a few LS1 compressors, but I'm not sure about LT1 ones. I'll be headed down there tomorrow to do some more work to it. I'm going to take my ear plugs with me this time though. The drill, air chisel, and angle grinder inside the car are killing me.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I headed down there today, but got a late start yet again. I'm started to get ticked off at myself for wasting so much time recently. Due to getting down there so late I didn't get much done. I was going to try and get all the rest of the interior brackets hacked off, fix the small hole I accidently ripped in the floor, finish removing the alarm, and start on taking the dash out.

In reality getting there at 2:30 and having to leave at 5:30 made that rather impossible. I started off by continuing to try to drill out the dajillion spot welds in the rear arm rests. I gave up on that, broke out my good friend the angle grinder, and just started hacking away at the brackets. At this point I don't care if the tabs connecting them to the body are still there. I ended up cutting a few of them off and finished removing the alarm system from the car. I didn't get a chance to weigh it although I will. The alarm system someone installed is the big black box and cables. It's quite ridiculous and really heavy for what it is.

Here's what I got out of the car today:

Questions:

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for hacking out those arm rests? There's probably 30 spot welds in each one and I don't want to have to drill them all out.

2. I also noticed all the seam sealer foam type stuff. My friend told my he hacked all his out with a wire wheel. I'm thinking about grinding it all out of there. Does anyone think that's a bad idea? Does it actually do anything?

I'm going to head down on Tuesday at my normal time and finish everything that I should have finished today. I've officially made my new deadline to have this thing finished. I want to get it running before G12 on May 26th-28th. If anyone doesn't know what G12 is here's the official site for it. http://www.fbodygathering.com/ G12 is a huge Fbody gathering held every year in Marietta, Georgia. They have pretty much everything there. I was going to go last year, but my friend backed out on going with me at the last moment. If anyone's in the area I'd suggest hitting the event.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I went down to the shop Tuesday, but didn't get anything done with this car. All I really got to do was take everything out of the car, look around for the grinder, find it, notice it's broken, try to fix it, fail, and put everything back in the car. Insead of wasting time I put my Formula up on the lift and removed the exhaust from the y pipe backwards. I have a guy that wants to buy my loudmouth and I'm going to sell my cats. Then, I'm going to use that money to get this thing finished.

I didn't get a whole lot done today other than get absolutely drenched and continue to question why I try to buy random supplies in Green Cove Springs. When I got down there it was sprinkling a little so I just decided to work through it and just start on the doors. As I continued though it just started absolutely pouring. We moved the car under the awning and I continued. I took both doors apart. Oddly enough I don't think anyone's ever taken the passenger side door apart before. The thing still had the OEM plastic shielding on it:

I yanked all the speakers out of the door which are some Pioneer stuff I'll be selling. I also yanked out the seats they sit in. I then traced back the wiring the guy had installed to connect the new speakers and removed that. I traced out how I'm going to cut all the extra material from the doors, but didn't get to cut it out. Here's everything I've removed in the past couple times I've been down there:

I then continued to try and remove the antenna which is a huge pain in the ***! I finally got it out of there, but didn't have anything to plug it with. I went to Napa, ACE Hardware, and Fastenal yet none of them had an one inch rubber plug.

As I headed back to the shop it started pouring yet again to the point it was difficult to drive. I hit some submerged branch in my car, but I got lucky and it didn't mess anything up. Frustrated and wet I just decided to call it a day and headed home. I still need to find a plug for the antenna hole. I know not too many people do this, but it you didn't weld it shut what did you use to plug the hole?

Here's a cool picture I snapped of the car. Even with everything still in the car it's pretty high up there.

Tuesday is just going to be cutting day. I've got the lines drawn on the doors and everything out of the car. I'm also going to try and weigh all the rest of the stuff I've removed and add it to my weight list. I've found some new really trick weight removal tricks that'll I'll be performing soon. This thing will be light.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

im sure ur referring to the aluminum front end? thats posted ove rin the drag racing section? i noticed u voer there picking his brain... that dude def took weight reduction to the next level! my uncle lives in marietta and i've ate at the varsity... maybe one year i'll come downa nd check out that f-body event ur talking about... there is only one downfall, no drag racing where is ur car located? southern Georgia? what city? i got another uncledown there too... i'll be working on my f-body this weekend and i might steal some of ur weight reduction tips!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

im sure ur referring to the aluminum front end? thats posted ove rin the drag racing section? i noticed u voer there picking his brain... that dude def took weight reduction to the next level!
That amongst a lot of other things. I found a guy that his car down to 2400lbs and read all his posts. He has some ideas many would consider rather insane, but the way they are you'll never be able to tell the car is so light.

My uncle lives in marietta and i've ate at the varsity... maybe one year i'll come downa nd check out that f-body event ur talking about... there is only one downfall, no drag racing where is ur car located? southern Georgia? what city? i got another uncledown there too... i'll be working on my f-body this weekend and i might steal some of ur weight reduction tips!
My car is in Green Cove Springs, Florida. I live in Jacksonville Beach. It's south west of where I live and it takes me an hour to get there from my house. Map (big dot = Green Cove Springs):

Yeah, I wish they had a drag event. If I manage to finish this thing in time I'm just barely going to. I need to pick up the pace on things. If it's done it would be a fun maiden voyage down the track. I just want to go this year with something worth taking. It seems like a ton of fun. Not to mention everyone is staying in the same hotel. I foresee it getting rather um... interesting.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

haha yea maybe one year i'll stay down at my uncles and hit it up
Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Long time no update, so here's a new one. I had to work last Friday and then this Tuesday so I had not worked on the car in a week until today. I got down there decently early compared to when I normally do (although I forgot the camera).

I got a decent amount of work done today. I finished cutting out all of the rear seat and antenna brackets. I started working on removing the rear passenger arm rests from the car and got half of the passenger side on off. I also took out the front seat belts as I'll be ordering a cage soon with 5 point harnesses. I'm just on a temporary hold on ordering parts since I might be moving soon.

Here's all the rear seat and antenna associated brackets I removed from the car:

I used an air grinder and it worked well. The only thing was I ate through about three cutting wheels in the process.

I started removing the rear arm rests. I got tired of drilling the spot welds out. It's hard work, takes forever, and leaves holes in the car. Instead I took the air grinder and cut along the seams to remove them. Here's how I did it:

Once I got the top cut I just folded it down and cut the bottom of the bracket out from the top. It's very simple this way. Using the air grinder is a bajillion times easier than using the air drill and chisel. If anyone wants to ever remove these use a grinder. That's what I'll be telling people from now on.

Here's a picture of all the rear brackets gone on the passenger side:

Since I grinder along the seams it left some extra metal behind. You can see what I'm talking about in the picture above. I'm going to go back over it and cut all the extra metal between the spot welds out. It'll be worth a pound or so and clean up the look of my work a lot.

While I was down there I also weighed a lot of stuff. Here's my updated weight removal list:

Front Bumper Support = 25.375 lbs
Fog lights and brackets = 4.0625 lbs
Cruise control, cable, and throttle cable cover = 4.4375 lbs
Air pump and brass fittings = 5.9375 lbs
Stock horns = 1.875 lbs
Stupid siren and loud horn = 2.5 lbs
Stock Y pipe and single cat = 21.1875 lbs
Frame horns = 5.125 lbs
Fender metal = 1.25 lbs
Rear Seatbelts = 4.1375 lbs
Aftermarket Speaker Wiring (will be added to considering there is a ton more of it) = .25 lbs
Carpet = 29.0375 lbs
Windshield washer fluid resevoir with water = 8.0625 lbs
Heat shields beneath the car = 2.1875
Soon to be useless exhaust hangers = 2.00 lbs
Rear Seats = 22.4375 lbs
Random exhaust hangers, brackets, nuts, and bolts = 9.25 lbs
Front Speakers = 2.75 lbs
Rear Speakers = 3.25 lbs
Front Speaker Brackets = 1.25 lbs
Interior brackets including (rear seat brackets, antenna bracket, rear seat belt brackets) = 3.875 lbs
Security System Hood Lock = 2.6875 lbs
Antenna + Wire (not including the actual metal rod) = .25lbs

Stock catback = Have to weigh
Rear Armrests = Have to weigh

Grand total to this point = 163.175 lbs + all the stuff I still have to either cut out or weigh.

I'm going to force myself to get up early and drive down there tomorrow so I can get a good 9-10 hours of work in on it. I still need to find something to plug the antenna hole. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Tomorrow, I'm going to finish removing the arm rests, clean up the brackets, and cut on the doors, remove the door crash bars, their brackets, and maybe start on the dashboard if I have time.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing
Old 04-11-2008, 06:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I didn't get much done today as I overslept yet again. That and trying to clean up the interior brackets took much longer than I anticipated. I didn't get any pictures, but I finished cutting them all out except for one. I'll get a picture of all the extra metal I cut out and weigh it next time.

Next time I'm going to continue removing the arm rests, cut on the doors, remove the door crash bars, their brackets, and start on the dashboard. Hopefully, I can start seeing some progress again.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You get your LS1 Back up and running?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:25 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
You get your LS1 Back up and running?
I wish. That one is going to be a while. That build is big bucks and I don't have much money at all. I'm just going to finish this one, start saving up again, and working on that one. Once this one is finished I'm going to move my Formula out front and start taking it apart. I'll be selling everything I can off of that one as I take it apart.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I may have forgotten but how come your insurance didnt just cover it?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
I may have forgotten but how come your insurance didnt just cover it?
I never knew I could file it with my insurance until about a month and a half after it happened. At that point I had already decided I was just going to save up and do it. That and I don't think my insurance would have forked over about 16k for parts on a simple destoyed engine.

I don't like insurance companies and I don't think I'm alone. I pay $136 each month for 2/3 of my cars. I might have, but I'm not into having my rates jacked up every month where I just barely make enough to have a little extra money now.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Teching In

I have been following this build (or demolition) and it has been giving me alot of ideas because I am in the market for one that I am gonna strip myself. Thanks for all the pics and stuff man.

This statement, however, seems off to me.

Originally Posted by smooveZ
This is what I hate. That nice Z car got abused by it`s previous owner. It looks like they were nasty folk. I know you will give it the TLC it needs.
lol and the only reason I say that is because you are hackin a bunch of junk out of the car, not giving it TLC. Dont think I am bashing or anything...I just found the statement funny.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:37 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Ty_Hoe
I have been following this build (or demolition) and it has been giving me alot of ideas because I am in the market for one that I am gonna strip myself. Thanks for all the pics and stuff man.
You're welcome.

Originally Posted by Ty_Hoe
This statement, however, seems off to me.

lol and the only reason I say that is because you are hackin a bunch of junk out of the car, not giving it TLC. Dont think I am bashing or anything...I just found the statement funny.
I am, "hacking" a lot of things out of it if that's how you'd like to refer to it as. You not seeing this car in person inhibits you from passing judgement on what I'm doing. Most of all the work I'm doing is simply based on maintenence. The whole inside of the car smells like smoke. I tore ever part out of the interior because everything will be getting swapped over to parts that don't stink. I'm getting new seats, carpet, headliner, interior panels, and installing a cage at the same time. I figured I might as well take as much weight out of it while I'm changing everything. The front is getting cut off because I'll be tube chassising the front from the front sway bar forward. Weight reduction is the cheapest way to make a car faster.

It looks rough now because there's nothing in it. You can see every little grind and weld. Once the carpet, interior panels, and headliner go back in it will look just like a stock camaro with a cage and harnesses added. It'll have two leather seats, dash, all the interior panels, etc... The only thing that might give away the sleeper aspect is if I pop the hood and someone sees the aluminum front and turbo.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 04-13-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 04-13-2008, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Old 04-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Looking good! subscribing

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project