LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hahah, you could've just HUNG the brake booster

I'd stick with an iron block in case you plan to make a bunch more power later on.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I thought about that. The problem is the only place I'd have to hang it is by a part that attaches to my garage door which is white. I didn't want to be blasting it with black engine enamel.

I'm definetly not going to stick an iron block back in this car. I already have a set of 408 pistons I could use, but I don't want to add the weight back in. In switching to an aluminum block, TH350, and my 10 inch converter I stand to loose over a 100lbs. When I'm finished I want this car to weigh between 2600-2700 lbs with me in it, AC, and PS.

Adding the iron block in is kind of working backwards. I'm trying to find a good price on a L92 block right now, but I'm having a tough time.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

car-part.com I'm sure you'll find one for a fair price there

Could always bid on this (Even with the reserve)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-2L-...mZ280277213193

Just a block
http://cgi.ebay.com/L92-6-2L-Aluminu...d=p3286.c0.m14

EDIT: I"m sure you know, but in case not, for easier searching. Here's the vehicles they came in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#6200

Last edited by Formula350; 10-15-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Formula350
car-part.com I'm sure you'll find one for a fair price there

Could always bid on this (Even with the reserve)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-2L-...mZ280277213193

Just a block
http://cgi.ebay.com/L92-6-2L-Aluminu...d=p3286.c0.m14

EDIT: I"m sure you know, but in case not, for easier searching. Here's the vehicles they came in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#6200
Thanks for those links. I'm going to watch the first one and see where it goes. I'm working up prices on everything now and I'll post up a large for sale ad when I get pictures of everything.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Well, a little luck never hurt anyone. I recently found a complete LT1 engine for sale for a great price. I talked to the guy and he said someone was going to come get it, but he'd let me know if they backed out. Sure enough around 3pm today I get a call telling me the guy backed out. I told my friend and room mate who's now gone with me to pick up 3 engines that we were going on a short road trip. We went home, pulled the seat out of my car, filled up the gas tank and we were off.

We had to drive to Georgia, but it only took about 50-60 minutes because it was just over the border. We met at a Advanced Auto and the guys there were nice enough to let us use their crank em up to put it in the car. All of the rest of the stuff went in the trunk and behind the rear seats.

Here we are holding it as we were going down the highway:

It kept moving around on turns and we'd have to really grab on. We got super lucky. I'm going to make an engine stand that will bolt to the factory studs for the passenger seat. I've moved enough engines I think it's time.

We were kind of in a rush because I couldn't miss my Jiu Jitsu class tonight. The past week I've been doing my own weight reduction and dropped from 155 lbs to 149.2 lbs. We have a tournament tomorrow and I made weight easily this time. That's why in this picture my gi is sitting right next to the engine:

Trunk:

Complete assembled heads and pushrods.

Hatch area:

Valve covers, complete intake manifold, fuel rails, injectors, evap, EGR, TB, water pump, head bolts, etc...

I plan on parting out this whole engine along with the one out of my 93. Now, I basically have two whole LT1s to part out. This one is a 96 with 36k miles on it and I believe it. I'm amazed at how clean it is compared to the one out of my 93. I'm working on some prices and taking pictures, but if you need anything shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

My friend already wants to buy my 93 short block. I think if I sell close to everything I should cover my whole LS engine swap. I already have the TH350 and stall. All I really need is the engine, PCM, and wiring. The first step is to get this thing out of the car some how with out hurting myself before tomorrow morning. That will be fun...
Old 10-17-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol You're the only person I know, that has moved an engine (even an empty block, or a I4) in a Firebird. Or really, any sports car! Not to mention having plans to keep doing it and plan on making an engine stand

I had though at first you had planned to keep the car an LT1 and use the better rods in this new motor, but guess not
Old 10-17-2008, 11:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

lol You're the only person I know, that has moved an engine (even an empty block, or a I4) in a Firebird. Or really, any sports car! Not to mention having plans to keep doing it and plan on making an engine stand

I had though at first you had planned to keep the car an LT1 and use the better rods in this new motor, but guess not
This is the second one that we moved in my 95 Camaro. It was an LS1 short block we picked up in South Carolina. This is the one with the weak cylinder that I traded in part for this car (93):

I moved that one from my parent's garage into my car by myself. That was a lot of work. I made a board to put under the engine stand and then jacked it up by the board. It didn't quite make it, but when it fell it landed perfectly inside the car.

The first one my friend / room mate and I picked up about 3.5 hours south of where we live. That was my LQ4 iron block, eagle 4 inch crank, and lunati pro mod rods. We got that one in my mom's toyota matrix that was full of crap.

We had to lay the seats flat and move all sorts of stuff around. As you can tell stuff was piled up so high that it touched the top of the front seats.

Hopefully, I won't have to move any more engines. I still plan on mocking up a stand that will fit where the seat studs go because I probably will at some point. I want to make it so that it is on a lockable slider that will extend out towards the passenger door. I'm already tired of having to pick them up. That LQ4 block was super heavy.

EDIT: Originally, I was planning on sticking with the LT1. It was going to be a bone stock engine with the GT4202. Then, after messing around with it and adding up all of the cost I changed my mind. I didn't want to spend $300-400 in gaskets, money on fluids, and fasteners to have a bone stock LT1. I started thinking if I parted this out I would pretty much cover the cost of putting a LS engine in the car.

I already have a ton of LS1 parts including an extra 4 inch stroke crank, crank pulley, timing chain, oil pan, windage tray, etc... I also stand to lose around another 60lbs just by switching the engine. Throw in the trans with the new 10 inch converter and there's another 60 lbs. I should be able to get it to around a 2900 lb race weight with just the few extra things I plan on doing with minimal cost involved. Then, I can still throw the turbo on the car and run low 10s.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 10-17-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

But it won't be a LT1 race car, so who cares about 2900lbs

Plus, why in the hell would it cost you so much in gaskets?! A full 'Hi-Performance' set (Fel-Pro 2806) through my friend's NAPA account is $202, and I assume since you work at a shop that you guys must have an account somewhere? I wouldn't doubt his cost through this other chain is much less than NAPAs, since he can work them down pretty easily heh Normal kit minus valve stem seals (odd) is $267 brand abbreviation is SEP P# 2601650.

If it works though, you'd want one of the B-Bodys, or at least ask if you can trade head gaskets
Old 10-18-2008, 07:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

But it won't be a LT1 race car, so who cares about 2900lbs

Plus, why in the hell would it cost you so much in gaskets?! A full 'Hi-Performance' set (Fel-Pro 2806) through my friend's NAPA account is $202, and I assume since you work at a shop that you guys must have an account somewhere? I wouldn't doubt his cost through this other chain is much less than NAPAs, since he can work them down pretty easily heh Normal kit minus valve stem seals (odd) is $267 brand abbreviation is SEP P# 2601650.

If it works though, you'd want one of the B-Bodys, or at least ask if you can trade head gaskets
Yeah, but it will be an LT1 body. .... I'm still planning on this being the ultimate sleeper.

My friend's shop does have accounts with NAPA and Discount Auto. I get good prices on everything. That price I estimated was gaskets, fluids, and fasteners. I'd still need a lot of other random items that wouldn't be easy to buy. I noticed today looking at the engine still sitting in my passenger seat that there's a bracket that holds the opti on. I don't have that either along with a lot of the sensors that are attached to my new engine. Granted, I have them now.

I've always wanted an LT1 car, but now that I have one it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep building the engine. Aftermarket parts wise all I have is a set of hooker shorty headers for an LT1. LS1 aftermarket wise I have multiple cranks, internal parts, heads, valve train pieces, bolt ons, etc. Then, throw in the basic fact that I'd spend $300-400 to put this back together. Versus taking that money, parting out two LT1 engines, and building a bad *** LS1 with a TH350.

The one major point that if anyone hasn't happened to notice yet is that I go all out on building cars. Nothing can just stay a bolt on car. Everything has to be a fully built engine with a 95mm turbo or 350 shot. To buy all of those LT1 parts when I have so much extra LS1 stuff doesn't make sense. All that was wrong with this car was that it had a freeze plug that leaked and the interior looked like crap.

Now, it has absolutely nothing but the body panels, fuel system, suspension, rear, DS, and shortblock still in it. I don't think you need to take all that other stuff out to fix a freeze plug. I know that's a lot of rambleling, but it makes sense in my weird world.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

And you realize you'll still run into some unforeseen costs while swapping in that GEN III/IV right? I mean, I assume that TH350 is for an GEN I/II right? That'll have to be changed out the different input shaft (or whatever similar thing has to be done to the 4L60Es, etc).

Maybe, go get a LS K-Member and then have it so you can swap in the LT1 any time you feel like rockin the tracks, LT1 style
Old 10-18-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well well well... so i donate parts to a fellow up-and-coming "LT1'er" and you are considering selling us out now?? haha, im kidding. but good luck in whatever you plan on going with. keep us posted, as i am sure everyone on here would like to see what kind of times/performance you will have with the DRASTIC weight reductions.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

And you realize you'll still run into some unforeseen costs while swapping in that GEN III/IV right? I mean, I assume that TH350 is for an GEN I/II right? That'll have to be changed out the different input shaft (or whatever similar thing has to be done to the 4L60Es, etc).

Maybe, go get a LS K-Member and then have it so you can swap in the LT1 any time you feel like rockin the tracks, LT1 style
Absolutely, I know that I'm going to run into the same sorts of unforeseen costs. The difference is that I have a much better access to LS parts versus parts for my 93 LT1. At the shop we're doing my car (Formula), an LS1 in a late 60s El Camino, 2000 Firebird --> LS1 swap, and a 440 LSX build. Most of the stuff done there is LS. There's so many buckets of LS1 parts laying around there.

K member wise I already have the stock one out of my Formula. I already have a BMR tubular turbo style K member that I'll be putting in with my new engine. The TH350 will pretty much bolt right up. All I'll need is to...

- Modify the flex plate / get a new one
- Get a spacer for my converter
- Get a new trans cross member / cut and reweld mine (would have to do any ways)
- Cut the tabs off of the transmission
- Get a different dip stick tube (would have to do any ways)

Jason will help me with all of the wiring work and tuning. I have it pretty figured out swap wise. I just don't know exactly what I'm going to put in there yet. I only have $200 right now.

Originally Posted by SLawson86
well well well... so i donate parts to a fellow up-and-coming "LT1'er" and you are considering selling us out now?? haha, im kidding. but good luck in whatever you plan on going with. keep us posted, as i am sure everyone on here would like to see what kind of times/performance you will have with the DRASTIC weight reductions.
Haha, I knew it wouldn't be that popular of a choice in this section. I will definitely keep everything updated. I'm going to document everything involved in swapping in the LS1 / TH350 just as much as I've documented everything else up to this point. I know a lot of people would like to see what's involved in that. It will be fun to see what this car will do with a bolt on LS1 / TH350 with around 650 lbs taken out of it. I have the parts to throw a 150 shot on it too. Eventually, my turbo will go on it when I get the money for the fuel system and the rest of the turbo parts.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 10-18-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

200.00 could buy you a BAD *** die cast LS1 car model
Old 10-19-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

rare color, thought i saw that car up for sale a few weeks back
Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by SLawson86
200.00 could buy you a BAD *** die cast LS1 car model
I was pleasantly suprised by filling up my 95 today with 14.46 gallons of gas and it only costing me $38.85. I get paid Friday which will help.

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
rare color, thought i saw that car up for sale a few weeks back
Yeah, I haven't seen too many this color. I really had to search around to find good pictures of one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I headed down to the shop today and got a decent amount of stuff done. I mostly wanted to start snagging all of my random LT1 parts that were laying around every where. I also wanted to continue stripping down both of my LT1 engines.

I started off by pulling off the crank pulley and Opti from my new 96 LT1. I didn't have a pulley puller large enough to get over the giant crank pulley so I wedged it off with a pry bar. I was trying to get the opti off, but for some odd reason the people that designed the LT1 decided to screw me again. I managed to loosen all three of the bolts that hold the Opti to the block, but the bottom left one was just long enough to not come out with the crank pulley still attached. They specifically designed those bolts to be about 1/4 inch too long.

It's a lot different than my 93.

The Opti is too:

Along with the crank pulley (93 is on the right and the 96 is on the left)

Before:

After sand blasting:

I then moved on to removing the lifter spider and lifters from my 93 engine:

I got all of those out and packed up everything in my 95. I easily had the most stuff I've ever had in there today. The car was leaning towards the passenger side. I still have to get the short block out some how. My room mate and I are about to work on that though shortly.

When I got home I spent a while moving everything out of my car and into my garage. If you thought it looked bad before it looks insane now. I'm running out of space to store stuff and I need to get a car in there Wednesday:

I'm going to use my borderline OCD to go through and organize all of this stuff tonight. I'm working on adding all of this stuff from these two engines into my for sale thread. Everything is going to be priced really well since I want to get rid of all of my LT1 stuff. I should be able to get that up tomorrow or Wednesday so keep a look out.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Good **** man!! You've got ALOT of motivation that i lack!!!

I recently bought a 96 Z28 and it is an assload different than my 95 T/A. I was really surprised at all the little changes...

lol

-justin
Old 10-21-2008, 04:55 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Good **** man!! You've got ALOT of motivation that i lack!!!

I recently bought a 96 Z28 and it is an assload different than my 95 T/A. I was really surprised at all the little changes...

lol

-justin
Congrats on the second car. Yeah I have motivation, but I'm starting to lose it again. I'm getting a little overwhelmed taking these engines apart and trying to organize stuff.

I've never messed with any of the 93-97 Pontiac models. I have a 98 Formula, two 93-97 Camaros, and all the other cars I've helped take apart were 98+. Even from those years there's tons of differences between them.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude, lol Don't ever TRY to say your garage is messy. If I even had ONE picture of my friend's old garage, you would think yours is as clean as... I can't even think of anything, that's how extreme the difference is lol We could barely find anything it was so bad. He has SO much stuff, spare parts, etc etc. I look at yours when you say "it's such a mess" and only laugh It's so damn clean, I can't believe you say it's a mess lol Hell, I'd eat off your floor!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Dude, lol Don't ever TRY to say your garage is messy. If I even had ONE picture of my friend's old garage, you would think yours is as clean as... I can't even think of anything, that's how extreme the difference is lol We could barely find anything it was so bad. He has SO much stuff, spare parts, etc etc. I look at yours when you say "it's such a mess" and only laugh It's so damn clean, I can't believe you say it's a mess lol Hell, I'd eat off your floor!
Yeah, compared to some it's not. I've also only lived here for around 6 months. The first thing I did was go in and clean the floor. I did go through and organize everything last night though....

I made a new parts for sale thread that includes everything from these two LT1 engines and a bunch or stuff out of my garage.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/1006276-nitrous-parts-lm1-titanium-valves-stock-ls1-parting-out-2-lt1-engines-interior.html
Now think of how nice my garage would be if everyone bougth this stuff I'm selling...
Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wish I had the money for that 93 intake, but I sadly don't GL with the sales though!

EDIT: Ugh! And the heads, damn damn double damn :\

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project