LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Good deal.. my only complaint is for the person who died in the backseat of that.. lol what ever happened to owners taking care of their cars before they sell them? haha.. sounds like a fun project.. my 97 is my project.. will have the car forever..
Agreed. This was the nastiest car I've ever seen. I don't know how people let their cars get like this.

Originally Posted by doaberetta
Progress?
In short not really. I lost my job of almost 3 years on the 7th so I've been in money saving mode. I have managed to gather a few random parts for each of my projects since then. In the past few months I've been selling off all of my LT1 parts. I finally sold my 93 shortblock, engine harness, and PCM to a member on here that drove 8+ hours down from NC to pick it all up.

I've decided that I'm going to keep all of the stuff I have left over to put together a whole LT1 engine. All I need is a set of heads, PCM, engine harness, and a gasket set. Yesterday, I drove 2 hours down to Lake Mary and picked up a LT1 4l60e, converter, dust shield, shifter, center console, NSS, trans cable, pedals, and crossmember for $50. Over this winter break if I manage to save up some money I'm going to put it all together and stuff it in my 95 V6 car. It should be something fun to do now that I have a ton of free time.

Parts wise for this car I've accrued a few things. The day before I lost my job I bought a Coan 5200 8 inch stall with TH splines. I plan on putting that in when I change the heads and cam. I got my GT4202 turbo back from the guys I took it to have fixed. I'm probably going to trade that to my friend for a BNIB Fast 92mm intake manifold. I need to call him about that and get the ball rolling.

I have a few people that owe me quite a bit of money. Total it's over $3000 and I plan on cashing that in very soon. When that comes in I'm going to set part of it aside, but the rest is going to go to getting one of my cars operative. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with it.

Until that happens I still have a few things I need to do. I need to finish cutting out the extranious wiring from my 93's body and engine harness that controls the lights. I also need to finish mounting my gauge pods into that bezel that goes over the factory gauges.

I'm also going to finish cleaning and polishing all of my LT1 parts so it will look good in my 95. Once I get to the point that I'm going to put that in I'm going to make a thread about that one too. I already know I'm going to need some help identifying how it all goes back together.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I dont' have an update right now, but if you buy some of the stuff I have for sale at great prices I could probably update this thread soon:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...ut-2-lt1s.html
Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow i just looked through this whole thread.... just wow lol. did you ever remove anything from under your rear bumper cover? supports and what not? it would seem to me there would be some stuff that could be trimmed from there
Old 12-16-2008, 01:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Driftunit
wow i just looked through this whole thread.... just wow lol. did you ever remove anything from under your rear bumper cover? supports and what not? it would seem to me there would be some stuff that could be trimmed from there
Thanks. I haven't taken the rear bumper support out yet. I still have to do that and cut out the extra material from the hatch. I haven't worked on the car in a long time. I do plan on doing those two things. When I do the bumper support I'm going to make a thin sheet metal or aluminum diffuser. That way air won't get trapped in there and use my rear bumper as a parachute. I'm kind of waiting on doing the hatch until I can afford one of these:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...peedglass.html

It's a percy's speedglass drop in rear windshield. It weighs 11 lbs versus the stock glass that is 45 lbs. Doing those three items should remove around 55 ish lbs from the car. They're also coming out with a direct drop in front windshield that I plan on getting at some point. Supposedly they are coming out in March. That should work out well because I need a new windshield anyways and I can drop another 22 lbs off of the car at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update wise what I said worked. I posted a lot of new stuff up for sale and the next day I had already sold two of the largest things on there. I traded my All Pro castings and an eagle forged crank for a LS1 short block with the covers, windage tray, and pickup tube, 224/228 - .534/.539 113+4 cam, set of radiator fans, AC compressor, compressor bracket, AC lines, heater core lines, top radiator piece that holds the lid, filter holder, a KN filter, and $400. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to call the guy back and see if I can trade him this cam for the other one he has (T-Rex). The other one is a 242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa . That's more along the lines of what I'm looking to build any ways. If not, I'll just sell the cam and buy a custom one along the same lines.

I had to use my camera phone again because my main computer crashed. @&%)#%) !)(*%^$& The worst part is it has all of my pictures on it.

I bought a LS1 engine wiring harness and PCM off of here. I'm just waiting on it to get here. I still need most of the front accesories, valve springs, pushrods, an oil pump, set of 5.3 heads (maybe), ARP rod bolts, sensors and gaskets. I plan on putting the long block together in my garage. I need to find my extra oil pan and buy a small little engine stand. I used to have a nice engine stand from SDPC, but I traded it with some other stuff for this car.

That should get the engine together. I'll still need a bunch of bolt ons, trans, 4.10 gears, fuel pumps, SPOHN solid motor mounts, moly tubing for the front end and harness bar, and to order some aluminum tubing to make my own LCAs and APHR. It's a lot of money, but the advantage to buying parts for this over my Formula is that most of the items I need are really cheap. I can nickle and dime this whole thing together over time.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I recieved my new 2002 LS1 engine harness and PCM yesterday in the mail.

I might have quite a bit more money to spend on this soon. I have a bunch of random things that I might have to pay if a few things don't go my way. I put a bunch of random valvetrain tools on my Christmas list. Hopefully, my mom can pull through and help me out with that.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

good plan man ^ best of luck to ya
Old 12-24-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, that was a pretty good trade, assuming it has lower miles of course (under 50K). I say get the L92 (or even L76) heads and the updated truck intake. It's literally a taller version of the stock LS1, basically for the extra torque for the trucks I think the LS3 intake fits on those cathedral port heads though. Give car-part.com a check and see if any yards close by have the heads (wikipedia them to find out what vehicles they came on, LO9 or L09 comes to mind but not sure, the_merv would know). Last time I looked, they weren't all that expensive.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

good plan man ^ best of luck to ya
Thanks, it should turn out pretty well. I'm going to need some luck to find all of the random parts I still need. I've got to find all of the random bolts that hold the accesories and things of that manner. I want to trade the short block, covers, PCM, harness, and some cash for a complete engine. That would make it a lot easier for me swap wise. I'm waiting to hear back from one guy who is local.

Originally Posted by Formula350
Damn, that was a pretty good trade, assuming it has lower miles of course (under 50K). I say get the L92 (or even L76) heads and the updated truck intake. It's literally a taller version of the stock LS1, basically for the extra torque for the trucks I think the LS3 intake fits on those cathedral port heads though. Give car-part.com a check and see if any yards close by have the heads (wikipedia them to find out what vehicles they came on, LO9 or L09 comes to mind but not sure, the_merv would know). Last time I looked, they weren't all that expensive.
The short block has 99k miles on it from what he told me. I thought it was a decent trade considering I had both of those parts sitting in the exact same spot in my friends shop since mid 2007. I'd like to get a L92 short block, but it is way too much money for me right now.

The cathedral port and L92 stuff is completely different. I'm not a really big fan of L92 stuff on NA or nitrous engines. People can argue all they want, but they aren't that great of heads. For the price they are nice, but in reality they don't work out that well. Cathedral ported heads are the best out there right now. At some point the L92 stuff will catch up, but not any time soon.

I plan on getting this running and then slowly doing mods to it. I already have my plans outlined. I'm going to try and take down TSP's head / cam 9.82 @ 134 record. Then, use the same parts, change gears, and coverter with a forged 347 bottom end and go after SMITH's stock cubed 9.32 @ 142 nitrous record. That's a lot to look forward too, but it'll get there eventually.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Post Christmas update. I didn't end up getting anything that was pertaining to me working on my cars, but I didn't expect to. I did manage however to acquire quite possibly the most important piece that I needed for my car. I've been trying to find one of these randomly on here in the for sale section, but hadn't had any luck. I lucked out and my room mates mom actually found one and got it for me....

My name begins with a T****. Randomly through out my life people have randomly called me T-Rex. People find it amusing and have use it in joking terms. The thing is pretty cool because when you hit the button on it's back it lights up and makes a Godzilla sounding roar. It'll work out doubly well if I can get this T-Rex cam in there too.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good man !
Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
Looking good man !
Thanks, for the kudos. It's been a lot of work and there's still a lot more to go.

Progress has been a little slow recently. Losing my job has kind of brought everything to a relative stand still. I've still managed to get a few things done. Last Sunday I traded that LS1 short block (pictured above) to a local guy for a 6.0 iron block, nitrous solenoids, 4an line, 10 lb bottle, and $250 in cash. I kept the 224/228 .533/.538 113+4 cam, covers, and a few bolts for it. The block is currently still sitting in my 95 waiting for extraction. I'm going to try and sell of some of the extra parts or trade them for more pertinent objects that I need to put this together.

I also managed to trade / barter for a few other random parts that I'm waiting to show up. I don't want to let out what they are yet, but everything should be here around Monday. I have a few more deals in the works that will hopefully pan out. I will say the new setup is going to add a lot of weight that I'm not too happy about, but I should still be able to keep it relatively light.

I still owe one extremely patient member here some money for a part I've been making payments on. That's my number one priority right now as he's been extremely patient, friendly, and understanding about my current situation. If those deals work out I'm going to send him the money right away.

With the recent rash of wiring threads going on I decided to start hacking on mine again. I started last night and removed a considerable amount of wiring from the body harness. Here's everything I managed to remove last night:

The large box that is attached is the audio alarm module, hazard flasher, and horn module. This stuff....

I finally manned up and hacked it out of there. The other stuff is from this plug that I was wondering what the hell it was:

It is the radio plug and the extra wiring someone hacked into it for all the stupid speakers they added. That was a huge amount of wiring.

I know there is more in there though that I can get out and I still need some help identifying certain plugs. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

I know the plugs in the back of this picture plug into the BCM near where the passenger's feet would be.

I do not know what this plug I am holding onto is though. It has two large wires that run into it. One is blue or purple and the other is black.

Here are some more that I think I know what they do, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know that's a crappy picture, but you can still see what I'm talking about. I'm holding one plug that connects into the side of the shifter and the other connects towards the front (has an orange safety plug on it you can see hanging off). From what I understand the front plug is the brake switch lock out. AKA you can't put the car in gear without pushing the brake pedal. The other plug from what I've read controls the hatch release, park / neutral switch, and the reverse lights. I'm not sure if that is correct on the 93. Here's another picture of the plugs:

If you slide slightly higher on the same strand of wiring there's another plug that I have no idea what it does:

You can see the shifter wires I am talking about above on the ground. I have no idea what this one is?

Here's another plug that I can only guess what it is:

I think it might be the hatch release button in the glove compartment, but I'm not sure.

Here's a lot of really good information for anyone who is working on their wiring that I've found:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...plug-help.html
BCM / Plug Help

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
VATS info

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...questions.html
Gutting wiring harness

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...n-removed.html
Wiring info with ABS module

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...cs-inside.html
Body harness information

I have a few more things lined up that I still have to do. I need to finish working on the body harness. I still think there's quite a bit of stuff I can take out of there even though it is getting really thinned out. Then, I'm going to move onto the other engine / body harness that controls the headlights, blinkers, etc and start thinning that one out. I already know of a few things that I can cut out of it relatively easy. After that I'm going to finish molding my gauge pods in. I should have done this a long time ago, but I took a little break from messing with the car. I'm going to stop by my parent's and get the epoxy my dad said I should use.

When those are done I found another really good / unconventional way of removing weight.

The guy said he got 2.5 lbs out of the driver's seat slider. That's a 5 lb total loss for both seats and all it takes is time. I have plenty of that so I'm adding it to my to do list.

If I can ever get some money I found a really good local chassis guy. I'm going to have him put a 10 point moly cage in the car. My friend had him put in a 14 point bar with front bars through the firewall and into the shock towers for $500, but he had to buy the moly tubing. He said he spent $350 on the tubing. It looks really good too and isn't some hacked together POS. I need to get a headliner first, but if that happens I can put the whole interior back in the car.

I'm going to try and keep working on this thing even though there isn't too much I can do. I can keep myself busy and I have at least another time consuming 40-60 lbs I can take out of the car with out spending any money on it.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give you kudos just for working on it! BIG work-in-progress, but I have faith in you.. I will take one of your f-body's off your hands if you want for free

yes, I hate people who don't clean their cars! I mean seriously I think somebody got stabbed in that backseat!

I got mad at the previous owner of mine, which is pretty clean, which has scratches on the backseat panels near the speakers from having an exhaust in his car! lol besides that mine is clean!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Thanks, it is a lot of work. I'm not even close to being half way done with it as odd as that sounds. There's still a lot of things I can take out and then I have to start working on putting it all back together.

I haven't washed the outside of my 95 in at least 10 months. I keep the interior clean, but recently with moving all of these engines the kick panel on the passenger side is getting majorly chewed up.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I haven't gotten any work done in the past day or so, but I plan on doing the gauge pods tomorrow. I need to get more of the epoxy my dad has. He only has a little left and it's definetly not enough to get it done. I did on the other hand acquire the parts I was talking about. I managed to get both shipments today.

The first package I received was the bolts that hold the AC system together and the tensioner for it. I already had the compressor, bracket, two of the bolts, and the lines for the AC system that I acquired through a trade. I was missing all of the bolts that held the compressor to the bracket, the bracket to the block, and the tensioner for the compressor belt.

I think this is the best deal I've gotten on this whole website. I think that it beats this car too. I recently found an items for sale thread where the member had both of these items for sale for $200 each. I sent the member a PM telling him that he had posted a typo and that he should fix it before he got 9 million PMs from people. He told me that was the actual price he was asking and that it was not a typo. I had to sell some parts and work out some trades to get the money for them, but it worked out. I ended up paying $504 shipped from California. Hint.... Hint... Hint...

K1 Forged 4 inch stroke crank:

K1 Forged 6.125 rods with ARP2000 rod bolts:

I bought these a long time ago on here and I've been holding onto them. I bought them for $250 shipped. The only problem is two of them are slightly dinged up from a throttle body screw that came loose. I could run them as is or spend an extra $80 a piston and get two new ones. Wiseco pistons with a -32cc dish, 4 inch stroke, 6.125 rod:

This is the 6.0 iron block I got on Sunday that I finally got out of my car. I had to take it out because I sold that 96 LT1 short block. I bought that whole engine for $200. I've managed to make $210 in profit so far and I still have some parts left over from it. It was definetly a good investment. This block has a bolt that broke off in the head. It is extractable. When I actually have some money to put this all together I plan on have the head bolts opened up to run 1/2 inch head studs. It'll majorly help with pushing water and loosing head gaskets.

On a funny note I seriosly ate **** trying to get this thing out of my car. I was on the inside crouched over while my friend was holding the other side. He picked up his side and I picked up mine. I had my left foot on the ground facing away from the cabin. There was a trash bag on the carpet to keep it from getting gunked up that I was standing on. When we went to step out my right foot completely slipped on the trash bag and down I went holding the block. My end hit the ground first with me still holding onto it. My left shoulder went right into the block. It wasn't bad, but if I had let go of the block I would have completely face planted. After my friend asking me if I was OK we both started laughing about it.

I'm pretty happy with it. I got the whole rotating assembly and block for $750 through good deals and working out trades. I don't have the money to put it all together yet, but hopefully it won't be too much longer. Unfortunately, it is going to add some weight, but for the price I can't complain in the least. I'm going to try and trade Jason a few extra parts I have for some items I could really use in this build that he took off of his car. We'll see if that works out.

My number one priority now is paying the extremely patient member on here the rest of the money that I owe them. I got $200 today for selling that LT1 short block that should really help out. If someone would buy my turbo I could pay off all of my bills and pay this member. If anyone who's reading this wants it I'll cut you a great deal.... When I pay my debt off I'll show what I've been making payments on. It pretty much makes this whole build absolutely insane. Anyone care to make some guesses?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is the greatest thread ever. Nice work man.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Thanks, it's only going to get better from here. I have a lot of random ideas that I plan on implementing in this build. It should be a lot different than what people are used to seeing and hopefully I can do it on the budget I outlined.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

New items for sale. Buy my stuff and get an update on the progress.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...tock-ls1s.html
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

i dont remember if you did this or not or know if you even can, but surely if your car has rear view motors you can pull those out.

idea just hit me today lol
Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

I can't wait to see this thing finished!!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

i dont remember if you did this or not or know if you even can, but surely if your car has rear view motors you can pull those out.

idea just hit me today lol
I plan on keeping them in there. I've got to maintain the sleeper look. I have a few choices right now that I've got to figure out how I'm going to set them up. One is really cool, but is really obvious and the other is completely hidden, but more of a hassle.

I took the driver's mirror off of my 95 one day to see how they are put together. All I managed to do is break it. When I'm at idle it shakes a little. It's not bad, but certainly annoying. If I can figure out how to take them apart with out breaking them I will certainly cut something out of them.

Originally Posted by SpeedDensityZ
I can't wait to see this thing finished!!
I'm super excited about it too even though I know it's going to be a while. I do have to say that with what I have planned it is certainly going to be worth it. I'll post up all the details when I get a few more things planned out.

My friend came by the other day with his car I helped him work on. It is a V6 body that he put a heads / cam / stalled / built trans into. It made my desire to have something I have running even worse than it is now. I'm closing in on a year of working on this car and 19 months with my Formula. I'm trying to save up some money right now so I can get a different daily driver and sell my 95.

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project