LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009 | 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

any updates man?
Old 02-08-2009 | 04:13 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Not really. I managed to get a good job at the place I had been trying to since early November. I have an actual source of income now. YES!

I sent the very patient member who I still owe money to more money today. I get my first paycheck on my birthday which is pretty cool. Other than that I haven't done anything to the car.

I pretty much have my new fuel system planned out. I only have to source out a couple details. At this point though I am going to try and get my Formula finished. It has just been sitting slowly looking worse and worse. I only need around $4500 to have that finished. Once that happens I am going to sell my 95 and use the money towards this car. I am still going to randomly buy parts and twiddle with little things on the car. I'll keep this updated.
Old 02-09-2009 | 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ever find out what color your car was? oR IF IT WAS RARE?
Old 02-09-2009 | 02:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Yes, my color question was answered earlier in the thread. It is dark green grey metallic. I don't think it is that rare of a color from looking at the numbers produced. From driving around I've seen one other car that was the same color since I've owned it. I haven't seen too many on here either.
Old 02-09-2009 | 10:48 PM
Teching In

Jeez. I read this whole thing and I'm thinking sweet...a real light LT1 sleeper. And then POW slap in the face youve given up and gone the easy route. Too bad this would have been something to really brag about.
If I didn't have a vert I would follow your build to a t. GL with the LS swap.
Old 02-10-2009 | 12:22 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by KEVIN L.
Jeez. I read this whole thing and I'm thinking sweet...a real light LT1 sleeper. And then POW slap in the face youve given up and gone the easy route. Too bad this would have been something to really brag about.
If I didn't have a vert I would follow your build to a t. GL with the LS swap.
It may sound like the easy route, but it is definetly far from it. There's a lot more work involved in what I plan on doing now that what I was before. The swap itself is a pain in the ***. The fuel system is going to be extremely complicated. Then, I have to get it all to fit in the car while keeping all of the front accessories which is going to be the hard part.

It will still be a complete sleeper other than the wheels, tires, and cage. The interior will retain all of the stock panels, two seats, dash, carpet, shifter, etc... I have it all pretty much planned out on how I am going to do everything. I just have no money now due to not having a job for almost 3 months. I may be able to get the K member I need relatively cheap though. My friend took my *** one to a friend of his who owns a fab shop. We're going to try and have a jig made of it so my friend's and I can all have them made.
Old 02-25-2009 | 09:11 PM
Launching!

any updates
Old 02-26-2009 | 06:08 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I managed to sell my GT42 (the black turbo earlier in the thread). I used part of that money to pay off the extremely patient member who I owed money to. The main part of the new build will ship out the week of March 5th. I also get paid on the 6th so that is pretty cool.

I have about $570 I can buy parts with right now. I am leaning towards either buying parts for my Formula or getting the cage and front end done in this car. I still have my tax return coming and someone else who owes me money to look forward too. In short not much, but I need to sit down, look at my sheets I've typed out, and punch some numbers. I'm sure I can get a major part of the chassis setup or I can get about half of the parts I'll need to get my Formula running.
Old 02-26-2009 | 06:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I can get about half of the parts I'll need to get my Formula running.
that's been off the road too long get that done then sell the v6 car
Old 02-26-2009 | 06:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ That's pretty much what I am leaning towards right now. It's been around 20-21 months since my Formula blew up. I think I can get it running soon with having a job now, my tax return, and the money owed to me. After that I can sell my 95 and use that money to get the cage, front end done, new headliner, dash pad, and the speedglass windshields for this car. Then, I can put all of the interior back into the car.
Old 02-26-2009 | 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have any pics of the car "as is" right now?
Old 02-27-2009 | 08:37 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ No, I don't. Its not too exciting as it is sitting right now. There's no interior, engine, or transmission. Its basically a tin can on wheels. I want to get the front end and cage done. That way I can paint the engine bay, reinstall the AC system, install the new windshields, carpet, interior panels, and dash. It will actually resemble a car at that point.
Old 03-29-2009 | 08:15 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Update time....

I know it has been a long time. Progress has been a little slow recently as I've been saving all of my money to get my Formula running again. It's been right around 22 months since it blew up so I don't think anyone can fault me for wanting to get it running again.

Since we all like laughing about how I move parts around in my 95 I thought I'd add this picture. This is a 98+ Firebird hood in the back of my 95:

I do have pretty much everything planned out on what I am going to do with this car though. Right now I am about $5000 short of getting my Formula finished. I should have around $2500-3000 coming in around the middle of next month. Part of which is winning my unemployment appeal against my former employer. They managed to screw me out of my unemployment benefits for over two months which left me with zero income until I found my current job. I was forced to sell off a lot of extra parts I didn't want to get rid of to be able to pay all of my bills. I plan to give them a final **** you when the check is in my hand.

After my Formula gets running I have a couple things to figure out car wise. My Grandfather is looking to get rid of the 97 SL500 he got from my uncle last year. Last year my uncle was trying to sell it to me for $16000. This year my Grandfather said I could have it for $8000. It's pretty much a no brainer investment wise as it is worth right around $15000 now. It's also something nice to drive around and I can sell my 95.

Once I get that worked out I am thinking about taking out a $6000-7000 loan to set this car up as a rolling chassis. That should get me all of the suspension, rear end, wheels, tires, brakes, fuel cell (my awesome design) and cage done. That way I can put the whole car back together except for the fuel lines, engine, trans, and turbo setup. Around 5% it is near $230 a month over 2 years. I spend more than that now per month on random small parts now. It will also help me build my credit.

Back on topic of working on this car.... I got a few of the major parts I was talking about in the mail this past week so I am pretty excited. The first thing I got was a complete set of LS1 front accessories, brackets, bolts, water pump, and starter. I have to say if you've ever shopped around for these or tried to piece them together it is a humongous pain in the ***.

I can also finally let the cat out of the bag. The very patient member I've constantly been referring to is Phil99Vette who has been awesome to deal with. I had started making payments on this in August and lost my Job in early November. He was extremely patient and told me to take my time in paying him. With finally getting my income situated with my new job I made paying him off my number one priority. Well, I finally got it in the mail and it is a lot larger than I previously thought it was.

The turbo is a Forced Induction S95. It is rated for right around 1800 horsepower. It is slightly physically larger than a Y2K 106mm that most of the high horsepower guys run. It is no where near the turbo those are, but it is comparatively efficient and I got it for an absolutely amazing price. The turbo only has two dyno trips on it and that is it.

Here's a general idea of how large it is:

I am going to have to reconsider how I am going to mount it. I can see my previous plans are not going to work. I have everything planned out down to the dollar. This is definetly going to be a long term project as it is projected to cost around $20,000 once everything is all said and done. I am going to look into sponsorship opportunities soon and have a few companies I believe we could creat a symbotic relationship with. My goals are a comparatively budget 8.20ish / 170ish drag radial car that I could drive when ever I want to. It should be around a 2900-3000 lb race weight, have AC, PS, all of the interior panels, and two nice seats. I definetly have the turbo to do it. We'll see if I can finish it.

I also put up a new items for sale thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...g-2-lt1-s.html
Things in this thread are already going super quick so check it out.
Old 03-29-2009 | 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Update time....

Here's a general idea of how large it is:

You mean SMALL right? Yea.. where are you going to mount that behemoth?
Old 03-29-2009 | 10:35 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I am going to cut the front of the car off. I am going to cut from the interior area of where the inner fender area (over the wheels) meets the battery tray area forward. I am going to replace it all with CM tubing. That in itself should drop 50 lbs and basically zero out with the turbo. Even still I am not sure where I am going to get it to fit. I did some measuring on my 95 and I have a couple ideas. I'm going to have to wait until I get the engine in the car to get it 100%.
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

All I know is that turbo is mondo
Old 03-30-2009 | 08:49 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Random, but I went to the bank today to deposit some money and talked to them about loans. I've got it pretty much figured out what I am going to do. I'm just going to hold out on doing it for a while so I can get my other things lined up.

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
All I know is that turbo is mondo
Yeah, it's absolutely insane how large it is. I'm interested to see how much it weighs. I'm going to guess right around 45-50 lbs.
Old 05-08-2009 | 08:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I haven't really been doing too much with this lately as I've been saving up and buying parts to get my Formula running again, but I did get one thing. About a week ago BMR was running a 3 day 30% off sale. I decided it would be a perfect time to buy a tubular K member. I bought their standard LS1 one as I already had one of the turbo ones that I was going to put in my Formula. I am now going to stick the normal one in my Formula with it's new engine.

Turbo K member:

Once I get the new engine in my Formula I am going to take the blown up engine, the BMR turbo K member, and put it in my 93 for mock up. I should be able to figure out how I want to mount everything. I've found a few good pictures recently of good ideas people out there have that I am going to borrow.

With this turbo being so damn large I am going to have to do something with the radiator. I really like this setup that Steve Turley is working on right now.

The only thing is I want to mount the turbo on the passenger side to help offset my weight in the driver's seat. I know you can scale the car and play with the shocks, but I figure it would be easier to start with if everything was relatively even.

We'll see how things work out. I know this is going to be a long term project. I've already had it for 15 months and it is in about as many pieces as it possibly could be.
Old 05-08-2009 | 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

WTF did you photoshop that turbo onto a tiny chair? LOL! Its gonna be a bad *** ****!!
Old 05-08-2009 | 09:14 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by AChotrod
WTF did you photoshop that turbo onto a tiny chair? LOL! Its gonna be a bad *** ****!!
Nope, that is how large it is. The box it came in was 70 something pounds and massive. My jaw pretty much dropped when I pulled it out of the box. I thought it was all just packaging. I'd say the thing weighs in the 55-6x pound range.

It is the roughly the same physical size as the one on the gold car, but internally it is different. It is good for around 1800-1900hp where the one on the gold car is a 106 and good for around 2400-2500 hp.

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project