LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

afr heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flow #s dont mean much , alot has to do with turbulance. I called AI and they say that for the lt1, trick flows have had great results. The only way to compare head flow #s is if the heads are flowed on the same flow bench the same way. http://www.notasponsor.html

Last edited by Speed Density; 02-10-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

I was at Rockingham Dragway today and met Phil from Advanced Inductions. They had a 355 Lt1 6 speed camaro down there running its *** off. It ran a 10.80 on motor and the car sounded pretty tame . BTW the guys that run AI are real down to earth people and really seem to know there ****. I will probally have them spec me a cam to put in my new engine since I now have a rod knocking in mine . Bad day at the track.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
I wish someone had a bunch of loose cash laying around to put the 3 most popular head choices up against each other. I'd love to find out if these A.I.'s are really as good as you make them sound. Everytime someone has plans that dont involve A.I., you jump in and blast the company they are interested in. But all these people that come to YOU with their problems with other manufacurers heads seem to find GOD when they slap on some A.I.'s. I'm not calling you out, but I hope i win the powerball.

P.S. The reason AFR created the elininator heads was cause their older ones were designed very soon after the release of LT-1 cars way back in late '92. The new eliminators are using LS-1 style valves, springs, and retainers. This is what super chevy has to say about them.

A clean sheet of paper approach to port and combustion chamber designs has boosted efficiency levels dramatically with smaller cross-sectional areas flowing 5-10 percent more across the entire curve for increased airspeed. AFR is the first company to incorporate "Gen III" technology into their 23 product line by fitting them with 8mm valves, and lightweight springs and retainers (a 50-gram weight reduction per valve/spring/retainer assembly), which reduces valve float and improves high-rpm power and reliability.

Sounds like that whole weight reduction thing is a good idea for anyone who wants to spin their motor to 6800 to 7000 r's. Just my .02 -Chris

Oh, heres a link to the article I pulled that clip from: http://www.superchevy.com/technical/..._products.html

I did the swap from the most popular online lt1 head porter to AI heads and gained 24rwhp on the dyno with a miss and a ton of other issues that I since then worked out. That's going from a ported intake to a stock one in the process to.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I was at Rockingham Dragway today and met Phil from Advanced Inductions. They had a 355 Lt1 6 speed camaro down there running its *** off. It ran a 10.80 on motor and the car sounded pretty tame . BTW the guys that run AI are real down to earth people and really seem to know there ****. I will probally have them spec me a cam to put in my new engine since I now have a rod knocking in mine . Bad day at the track.

I know what car you speak of and it is their 200cc ported GM castings. Things like this are why I fail to grasp why every kid who dreams of an 11 second car seems to believe he needs aftermarket castings.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Holy sh|t! I didn't realize they were local to me. Let alone in Concord! That's like 10 minutes away.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

I will be heading to Concord to have my heads checked . Phil said that since they have gotten really hot so many times the heat treating may be screwed up causing the heads to keep pushing water . If they are screwed I may have them do a set of trick flow castings for my new 383.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Holy sh|t! I didn't realize they were local to me. Let alone in Concord! That's like 10 minutes away.
Me either, It means more to me when I can meet someone face to face and see what they are really about.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I did the swap from the most popular online lt1 head porter to AI heads and gained 24rwhp on the dyno with a miss and a ton of other issues that I since then worked out. That's going from a ported intake to a stock one in the process to.

Your issues with missfiring have been well documented as well as others with AI products. Im just sick of hearing certain people bad mouthing all but ai stuff. Its agitating.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:03 AM
12 Second Club

Me either, It means more to me when I can meet someone face to face and see what they are really about.

Exactly. I would of probably bought a set if I had known that. I just started getting my LPE heads patched up though.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
Your issues with missfiring have been well documented as well as others with AI products. Im just sick of hearing certain people bad mouthing all but ai stuff. Its agitating.
The sad thing is there isn't very much aftermarket support for lt1's. The average h/c lt1 has gotten noticable slower over the last 5 years which is kind of sad. Now it's perfectly acceptable for a h/c lt1 to be trapping ~115mph and people think they have "good" running cars. I can't think of any other platform where modded cars are running slower than they were 5 years ago.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
The sad thing is there isn't very much aftermarket support for lt1's. The average h/c lt1 has gotten noticable slower over the last 5 years which is kind of sad. Now it's perfectly acceptable for a h/c lt1 to be trapping ~115mph and people think they have "good" running cars. I can't think of any other platform where modded cars are running slower than they were 5 years ago.
It is sad most company have abandoned ship on the Lt1's they just put something out to say they carry Lt1 **** to without really putting any effort into it. The LS1 powered engines cast such a big shadow that Must people really dont even realize how strong an lt1 is . This is why when I decided to build a faster car I went the LS route . I mean come on they make all kinds of good heads for 5.0 mustangs and a 5 liter engine is way beneth an LT1 .
Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Teching In

got set of 225 on my 383 lt and they are great. Car make 830 hp on 15pis
Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Blowers require a little less finesse of the heads than an NA application. Though I still know of a car making over 1000rwhp with GM castings and a turbo so I am thinking finesse may still be a good thing rather than the "big hole" approach most like to take.

Quick Reply: afr heads