LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cats Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cats Tuner

just got my cables today and downloaded every thing. hook it up and it started to work but every time it gets to 50% on the pcm reading it stops and says communication error every damn time. it's a 1995 z/28 camaro.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Is it stopping before it gets the initial read signal (on the first progress bar where it says establishing communications) or after it resets and says "reading pcm memory"?

The first is normal. The second is not.

Make sure there are no electrical devices on in the car (lights, radio, etc). Also make sure there are no other open programs on your comp, and make sure the battery voltage is good.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

the second one. every thing is off virus checker is disable but still in the status bar on the bottom right hand of the computer. the dash lights are on and the radio face plate is took off.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I've only had that happen once or twice. But it always worked on the next try. Never failed every time. Not really sure. Most of the standard problems people have obviously wouldn't be the issue since you could not get any initial connection if those are not right.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used tuner cats for years, and I can only get it to go to 100% if I am in DOS mode.

Make sure your battery voltage is good, and I usually pull the relay for the fans so they dont kick on.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

A my Snap on tool will read the computer i don't see why this won't work. the cables are from moates its a ALDU1_CABL2.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KILLERZ/28
A my Snap on tool will read the computer i don't see why this won't work. the cables are from moates its a ALDU1_CABL2.
I have the same cable. Make sure the little switch on the box is set correctly. The middle setting is the only one that works for me.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

i thought it only had two settings 10k and open i have it on open.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by foggedz
I have used tuner cats for years, and I can only get it to go to 100% if I am in DOS mode.
I have used it for years too, in both 98 and XP and I've never had that issue or had to switch to DOS.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by foggedz

Make sure your battery voltage is good, and I usually pull the relay for the fans so they dont kick on.
what did it do before you started useing dos mode?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KILLERZ/28
i thought it only had two settings 10k and open i have it on open.
I'm don't remember what they are called but there are 3 notches, the middle one is a little subtle.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually forget what I said, I just looked at their site and it looks like they redesigned the cable. I think I have an earlier version, maybe the new one only has 2 settings.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

i tryed 10k and i tryed open nether work i will try to put it in the middle. i've tryed every thing. this is what i did per READ ME FILE FROM moates.

As a quick note, this info is geared toward using the enclosed drivers for the Flash&Burn device, but please understand that the same procedures with respect to the driver configuration applies to the other USB devices such as the ALDU1, Ostrich, and APU1.

First things first, make sure your drivers are installed correctly.
1) Disconnect all USB devices that you can from the computer.
2) Connect the FlashBurn device to the USB port. The computer should give you an indication that it has been connected.
3) Specify the location of the driver, telling Windows to look in the 'Drivers' directory associated with the unzipped contents you unzipped from this file.
4) Continue, telling Windows to proceed with driver installation.
5) Open up the Windows 'Control Panel', and look under the 'System/Hardware/Device Manager'.
6) Look under 'Ports' and you should see a COM3 or COM4 called 'USB Serial Port'. It could be COM5+, but you want it to be COM3 or COM4.
6) Double click on it, and look under the 'Port Settings' tab. Set it to 9600,8,None,1,None.
7) Click on the 'Advanced' button, then change the settings to 'COM3' or 'COM4'. If it gives you a warning, you should be able to ignore it and set it to COM3 or COM4 anyways. If it's already on COM3 or COM4, move to step 8.
8) Use the little pulldown bars to change the Receive and Transmit sizes to '64'. Change latency time to '1'. Make sure minimum read timeout is at '0'. Only the 'Serial Enumerator' box should be checked.

To make sure you have the correct driver or to update your driver, do the following:
1) Connect the device.
2) Go to the Control Panel/System/Hardware Manager/Ports and double-click the 'USB Serial Port' item.
3) Go to the 'Driver' tab. It should show the driver version '1.0.2154.0'. If not, click on 'Update Driver' and point Windows to the location of the unzipped contents of this ZIP file.
4) Click OK, and go back to the Device Manager device list. Open up the 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' list.
5) Double click on the 'USB Serial Converter' item under USB Controllers, and click on the Driver tab. Check the version number, it should be 1.0.2154.0 also. If not, click on 'Update Driver' and point Windows to the location of the unzipped contents of this ZIP file.

Note: Info below this point is specific to the Flash&Burn.

Once you've carried out the above instructions, your Flash-N-Burn device should work. Anytime you want to use it, just follow these instructions:

1) Connect the device before starting the program.
2) Double-click on the FlashnBurn.exe shortcut to start the program. It should indicate something like 'Found: Flash&Burn 5.3.A'
3) Select the device type you will be working with (for instance AT29C256) from the pulldown list.
4) Check your start of buffer and end of buffer, and start/end of device settings. They should correspond to the beginning and ending address you want to work with. To begin with, set your starting values to '000000' and ending values to '007FFF'.
5) Test the system out by loading a 32k file. Put a chip in, and try burning the chip using the 'Program Chip' button.
6) Once programming is complete, try the 'Verify' button. It should be successful.
7) Then try the 'Blank Check' button. It should not be blank. Then use the 'Erase' button followed by blank check. It should then be blank.

If you still cannot get the unit to work, please send an email to craig@moates.net with the following information:

- Computer model / speed / configuration / Operating system
- List of other devices connected to your computer
- List of other programs you have running in the background
- Flash&Burn version that is being reported (ie. 5.3.A or whatever)
- Chip type you are trying to work with
- Description of the problem you're having
- List of other computers you've tried it out on
- Driver version number shown in the control panel settings
- Settings shown in the control panel settings
- Any other relevant information

Hope everything works without a hitch for you! Keep in mind that all units are thoroughly tested prior to shipment so that everything should work fine.

-Craig
Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Only other thing I could think of is maybe try a different comp if you have another.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

This is the only one i got. but i was thinking the same thing. This car is possesed i swear!!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

but yeah verify the battery voltage if you haven't done that. Has to have good voltage to work, its possible that is causing the connection to be dropped or something.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Hey Jon, do you think it could be a baud related issue?

BTW, mine's still doing great, thanks again. I'm hoping later on this year to get my own cable.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 954mula
Hey Jon, do you think it could be a baud related issue?
I doubt it is anything related to that, or to cable/setting parameters. You would not be able to get the initial connection if any of that was wrong.

Originally Posted by 954mula
BTW, mine's still doing great, thanks again. I'm hoping later on this year to get my own cable.
glad it worked out for you.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

hey killerz I just noticed you are in atlanta too. If you can't get it to work, if you want to meetup sometime I could check out your cable on my comp, since I have the same cable/software and it works for me.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

sent you a pm

also how did you go threw the installation did you just download the rt tuner and just install the drivers and thats it.

Quick Reply: Cats Tuner