LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3 nasty sounds, very worried

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default 3 nasty sounds, very worried

Okay, so it's been 10,000 miles since all the mods in my sig, and there have been some developments. Three sounds have manifested and I've narrowed down their sources a little. The first seems pretty obvious, a clicking coming from both valve covers. At 190,000 miles I guess I should expect some valve train wear. A friend suggested a valve job, but wasn't able to go in depth on what's involved and how much it costs, does anyone know?

The second is a clicking coming from the clutch area. It's fairly easy to hear at a stop light and it's in sync with the rpm's. The clicking quiets a little when I push the clutch pedal down, and goes away when I put it in gear.

The third is the worst, sounds like an exhaust leak on the passenger side. Very loud clicking when the engine is under load but is non-existent when there is no load. I can smell exhaust when I'm driving but the car is running as if nothing is wrong. I checked the header bolts and tightened the ones I could reach (all of drivers side, middle 3 on pass side) and they were all tight. I guess it could be one of the bolts I couldn't reach on the pass side but they LOOK fine. My scanmaster readings are all normal, even the manifold absolute pressure which should read low if there was vacuum leak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
Okay, so it's been 10,000 miles since all the mods in my sig, and there have been some developments. Three sounds have manifested and I've narrowed down their sources a little. The first seems pretty obvious, a clicking coming from both valve covers. At 190,000 miles I guess I should expect some valve train wear. A friend suggested a valve job, but wasn't able to go in depth on what's involved and how much it costs, does anyone know?

The second is a clicking coming from the clutch area. It's fairly easy to hear at a stop light and it's in sync with the rpm's. The clicking quiets a little when I push the clutch pedal down, and goes away when I put it in gear.

The third is the worst, sounds like an exhaust leak on the passenger side. Very loud clicking when the engine is under load but is non-existent when there is no load. I can smell exhaust when I'm driving but the car is running as if nothing is wrong. I checked the header bolts and tightened the ones I could reach (all of drivers side, middle 3 on pass side) and they were all tight. I guess it could be one of the bolts I couldn't reach on the pass side but they LOOK fine. My scanmaster readings are all normal, even the manifold absolute pressure which should read low if there was vacuum leak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

could have a busted valve spring if ur hearing alot of noise from the valve covers or a loose rocker arm. alot of spec clutches make chirping sounds from what i have seen and that is normal im told. now for the third sound. a clicking? could be noise from inside the engine plus and exhaust leak. could be noise from the wrist pins on the pistons or maby a spun bearing. i really couldnt give any more advice or opinions without hearing it. but best of luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I forgot to mention that the third sound manifested quickly, it wasn't a gradual increase at all. I remember that it was fine on friday, then I noticed it on sunday. Hope that's a relevant clue.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

My plugs are stock, whatever that is (delco?). I tried wiggling them and there was no movement. Bought a stethoscope too, everything sounded the same to my untrained ear. I put it on the valve covers, the header pipes, the area around the gaskets, nothing that stood out. I had a buddy hold the engine at 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm but that didn't help any. I was smelling exhaust the whole time my face was buried under the hood. I checked what pipe I could see under the car (w/o the stethoscope) which was the cat and maybe a foot in each direction. I could clearly hear the #2 noise and the #3 noise but didn't see any exhaust. Maybe there is a leak where the header meets the y-pipe?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say a leak at the y-pipe or a header might have a slight crack. Not sure though. The Valvetrain noise sounds like it needs the rockers adjusted.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sweet-94z28
I would say a leak at the y-pipe or a header might have a slight crack.
Agreed. Could be loose flange bolts as well.
A valve job price just depends on what is needed. If your valves, guides and possibly springs are worn then it could be costly. Find a reputable shop in your area and make a phone call.
Where are you from?

Quick Reply: 3 nasty sounds, very worried