LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Post up your BIGGEST mistake working on your LTx lets hear 'em guys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I bought lifters that I didn't need because the loud tapping sound I heard was two rocker arms that got loose and the pushrods fell off; then I decided to change the lifters anyways and when adjusting the rocker arms, I read the ft/lbs was 50, but that was for the rocker studs!!!! I ended up breaking all the pushrods on the driverside on start up and had to replace some of the new lifters with the old ones I just took off. I didn't know about valve lash until I searched online and started coming to the forums.

I was giving myself 2 days to do this job as it was the first time I was did anything besides clean the CIA; it was more like 1 1/2 weeks cuz I had to order and wait for new pushrods.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula96
acually it was a car the dealership had bought for an auto pronto (buy here, pay here). But no, i never found out why. It would spin to a point then stop, i could back it up and it would go a little bit then stop again. It wasn't the valves because i took the valve cover gaskets off and everything was good there. Maybe it was a spun bearing, the fresh 5w-20 might have made it let go.
I have extensive experience with the gen 2 3.8. Guarantee that intake leak dumped coolant into the lower intake manifold and made its way to the rod bearings and seized the motor. I'd put money on it 1000 times to 1.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Trying to Get the Crank Hub off and Didn't Realize it was a press on <
Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I was not refering to the HOT cam.
ok then back to square 1, what ARE you talking about

nvm man forget it.

wow these are great stories
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Burning Rubber
I used the wrong kind of sealant on the back of my intake because I was in a rush and it ran down into the oil pan and sucked up in the pump. Once I put my 700r4 in and forgot to hook up the detent cable which in turn caused my transmission to blow up. Also I accidentally dropped a piece of a helicoil in the intake port of my head and it scored up one of my pistons. All this caused me to rebuild. That was a mistake I will never make again. Never rush your work.
shvt man lol...what did you end up going with?

Originally Posted by crazyhorses
First I bought lifters that I didn't need because the loud tapping sound I heard was two rocker arms that got loose and the pushrods fell off; then I decided to change the lifters anyways and when adjusting the rocker arms, I read the ft/lbs was 50, but that was for the rocker studs!!!! I ended up breaking all the pushrods on the driverside on start up and had to replace some of the new lifters with the old ones I just took off. I didn't know about valve lash until I searched online and started coming to the forums.

I was giving myself 2 days to do this job as it was the first time I was did anything besides clean the CIA; it was more like 1 1/2 weeks cuz I had to order and wait for new pushrods.
Ls1tech and shbox.com are worth more than gold.

Originally Posted by warbird27
after installing my headers, i was trying to fit my y-pipe in between the headers and my already installed borla catback. well got frustrated, started pounding on the ypipe with my open hand and sliced my hand off of the heat shield. needless to say my hands were covered in grease from installing the headers and i got 14 stitches at the hospital.

at least you took one for the team man !!!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

building a lt1 and not going ls motor .
Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flippy1974
building a lt1 and not going ls motor .
In that case: rebuilding the Lt1 and not going 383!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

disonnected and capped the coolant steam vent tube. didn't notice problems till about 4 months later when temp was through the roof and had white smoke out the exhaust. ALOT of white smoke. warped the heads a bit and the headers, burnt the **** outa some valves.... haha.. LESSON : LEAVE THE VENT TUBES ALONE! ! !
Old 03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

volunteered to rebuild by buddies automatic transmission. How hard could it be, just remove the parts and put them back in the same way. WRONG... That was 4 days of hell and I couldn't sleep because i was worried about it the whole time.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine took a couple of days to track down.... Did a whole engine/tranny/rear end swap from my 94 Z28(RIP) to my 94 Trans Am(SOLD).

After starting it, it didnt really feel like it was idling very smoothly. It had open headers for a short while so it wasnt exactly the smootest car at the time anyways. Also installed a 3600 stall at the same time so during test drives the car was loud and started poping and backfire(thru open headers)! VERY LOUD!
Got exhuast put on, made it much quieter so we started to diag. the car...
thought it was the opti<<<(we always point the finger at the opti)... so I pulled the opti off and played with it, put it back together. Still did it.
Did that twice and THEN we check the spark plug wires! LOL!

FOUND IT!

The guy said that did most of the work!

And I swear not 10 mins later after leaving the shop my car DIED on me while pulling out of a lot...

THE OPTI WENT OUT!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Green3spd
Mine took a couple of days to track down.... Did a whole engine/tranny/rear end swap from my 94 Z28(RIP) to my 94 Trans Am(SOLD).

After starting it, it didnt really feel like it was idling very smoothly. It had open headers for a short while so it wasnt exactly the smootest car at the time anyways. Also installed a 3600 stall at the same time so during test drives the car was loud and started poping and backfire(thru open headers)! VERY LOUD!
thought it was the opti<<<(we always point the finger at the opti)... so I pulled the opti off and played with it, put it back together. Still did it.

FOUND IT!

And I swear not 10 mins later after leaving the shop my car DIED on me while pulling out of a lot...

THE OPTI WENT OUT!

ROFL

that sir, is absolutely hilarious.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Second Club

taking it apart.. in the first place.. now i gotta put it back together
Old 03-07-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya I laugh about it now! But then I was so confused and PISSED!
The car ran TOP NOTCH when I pulled it out of the Z28!

And to top it off, My tranny went out a couple of weeks later....
Needless to say... that car is long gone!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

Dropping in a cam with the stock bottom end. The cam swap eventually turned into a full rebuild, new tranny and lots of debt...LOL!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

installed a new opti, assembled EVERYTHING, then i realized the vacuum lines weren't hooked up.. back from scratch
Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Green3spd

FOUND IT!

THE OPTI WENT OUT!

Haha the dreaded optispark...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Assuming my opti was out, when it was only my coil. While I was at it threw a cam in, and upgraded springs at the time.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Modding my car instead of putting the $$ I made in the bank.. I could have easily bought a C5 Z06 with the $$ i've spent on my car by now.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dropped my maf sensor and left my oxygen sensors out in the rain when i did my header install. that turned into 250 more dollars spent...not too bad though.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1badzee
installed a new opti, assembled EVERYTHING, then i realized the vacuum lines weren't hooked up.. back from scratch
why'd you have to start from scratch man ?

Quick Reply: Post up your BIGGEST mistake working on your LTx lets hear 'em guys!