LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1le elbow vs. aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Its pretty sad that someone who thinks that two different parts, that fit on the same place with the same inlet outlet sizes using the same clamps, are different sizes.

So the 1LE looks a little fatter...so what? That doesn't mean D.I.C.K.
With the right adapters, I'm sure you could make an elbow out of a piece of garden hose. If you were into garden hose, would you buy one under the belief that the ends are the only thing that matter, and that the garden hose in between made absolutely no difference? I hope not.

It would be interesting to know the origin of Trickflow's flow numbers.

Last edited by BTC; 03-11-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech
The vortech is smaller volume than ours, because its part of their super chager kit, and they don’t want to loose pressure between the compressor and TB.

VORTECH INTAKE ELBOW, DUAL 48MM, NO AIRFOIL

THROTTLE CFM
HALF 228
FULL 522

TFS INTAKE ELBOW, DUAL 48MM, NO AIRFOIL

THROTTLE CFM
HALF 229
FULL 526
Your numbers say otherwise.

This is my uneducated, and unscientific opinion, but if it was smaller to keep the pressure, wouldn't they make the elbow the same size as the rest of the plumbing? Notice the step-down from the elbow?

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=107

I do like the what you said about the 48mm and 52mm being the norm and what they(elbows) were designed around. I won't deny that couldn't be the issue here. Makes me want to go and take my elbow off and toss it on my 58 and see! Maybe I'll do that later today, Google says 43f for a high today O_O
Old 03-12-2008, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what youre typing, youre in no position to be calling names

Ummm no. They both CLAMP AROUND THE SAME PART. THEY FIT THE SAME PART WITH THE SAME CLAMP.

Its called high-temp ceramic coating.
Ya know, the same kind of stuff they use to coat headers.

Thick rubber WILL conduct heat. My stock elbow got very warm.

Yeah but they are not high temp coated.
Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

No it won't.
A N/A motor only takes in so much air. That little bit of extra space is 100 percent completely F*CKING USELESS unless air is being forced into the motor.

Thats not even remotely close comparison.

The 1LE is fatter with thicker rubber and a bigger belly.
The trickflow has a MUCH, MUCH smoother internal design and stays much cooler with the high temp coating.

Its pretty sad that someone who thinks that two different parts, that fit on the same place with the same inlet outlet sizes using the same clamps, are different sizes.

So the 1LE looks a little fatter...so what? That doesn't mean D.I.C.K.
Yes they both clam around the same part but the 1le is bigger. There is no arguing with that, and my trickflow elbow got hotter than my 1le ever got. The ceramic coating on my elbow was a joke and I was pissed I paid the extra $$ for it.

You can physically put the trickflow inside of the stock/1le elbow but you are saying they are the same size? Pleaze explain how this is possible.

Did you not see the picture I posted with the trickflow compared to my 58mm throttle body? My 1le goes over it with no problem and it isn't smaller than the throttle body.

The inside diameter of the 1le elbow is bigger than the outside diameter of the trickflow elbow. And with how sharp that bend is you need all the volume you can get to keep the sharp bend from being a restriction. And flow #'s varying a few cfm with a stock tb tells me nothing considering my TB flows over twice what the stock one does. Do you honestly believe that big mis-match between the trickflow and my throttle body is good for flow?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Speed, so I don't have to quote your whole thing, do you think your motor can really out-flow your 58mm?

Then you're retort with: "Do you really think your stock motor can outflow yours?"

And I'll counter with: "Because I had it from my TPI motor and not having it installed is a nice part sitting on the shelf."

Don't know where you'll go from there, but if you do go that route, you're avoiding the initial question by me.

For the hell of it we'll assume you answer me saying something or other. Your motor could make due with a 52mm, and that TB was designed around a 48/52mm as they said, so all is well with you and your small elbow.

HURRAY I SOLVED IT!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
The ceramic coating on my elbow was a joke and I was pissed I paid the extra $$ for it.
My elbow is 4 years old, Ive put 40K on it and it still looks like it did when it was new. Glossy and shiny.

Everything else in your post in garbage and has already been answered.
If you think the 1LE performs better because its a little bigger and made of rubber even after the facts that have been posted....I think you need to go back to college and once again learn how to comprehend what youre reading.

The TF outflows the 1LE, it runs cooler and looks WAY better.
Bottom line end of story.

Unless you have something else besides "a duuhhh, it looks bigger, its gotta be better" crap, please don't waste anymore of our time with your thoughtless brainless replies.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I don't think he's arguing that the 1LE looks bigger. I believe he's arguing that the 1LE is bigger, which appears to be the case.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

:shrug: i thought we ended this a long time ago?
and yes burnzilla i guess you can say you owned him and i both.
but you both are shaking a stick at a dead dog. i think you both can drop it and let it go. this thread turned out totally different from what i wanted!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Im stunned that there is a 4 page argument over an elbow

1) it doesnt matter....
2) even if it did taking numbers that show the trick flow as the best elbow straight from somebody that works at trick flow wouldnt make sense. Its called advertising. Im sure vortecs numbers say their elbow outflows everyone and SLPs elbow says their 1LE outflows everyone. So congrats burnzilla.....you really got em good after a trick flow tech posted his numbers
3)people have their opinions...no reason to get all butthurt burnzilla and speed demon (i forget which one started the bitching)
4) ITS A ****** ELBOW...who gives two *****
5) the thread was entertaining tho just because of number 4. a bunch of people arguing over something this simple acting like one or the other really makes that much difference
maybe next we can talk which shifter *** is best

Last edited by 94greencamaro; 03-12-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94greencamaro
maybe next we can talk which shifter *** is best
Clearly it's B&M, god -_-
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94greencamaro
no reason to get all butthurt burnzilla and speed demon (i forget which one started the bitching)
False information is not what this site is about.
It must be corrected. This is not a game.

And opinions are opinions, but this is not about which elbow is prettier.
This is about which one works better overall.

And I like how you say
So congrats burnzilla.....you really got em good after a trick flow tech posted his numbers
... You didn't think I already knew what I did?

Originally Posted by 97badass
and yes burnzilla i guess you can say you owned him and i both.
No I won't say that. Its childish.
His posts where reminiscent of what a scumbag would say when he chose to insult me in a thread about intake elbows...
People like that must be taught a lesson. To have respect and listen. (well....read :lol) )

Originally Posted by 97badass
but you both are shaking a stick at a dead dog. i think you both can drop it and let it go. this thread turned out totally different from what i wanted!
Agreed and my apologies.
They are both good elbows.
Anything besides the stocker with the donkey slong.

Last edited by burnzilla; 03-12-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

And opinions are opinions, but this is not about which elbow is prettier.
This is about which one works better overall.
Actually with an elbow IT IS pretty much about looks.....
The only purpose is to get rid of the resonator
Theres no elbow that is going to make your car faster out of the 3 mentioned
If you like the stock look go with a 1LE
If you like auminum go with a TFS or Vortec

I think this thread is pretty much worn out of people arguing over an elbow
you stand strong though soldier

Last edited by 94greencamaro; 03-12-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:55 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

I'm still trying to figure out which information is the false information that needs to be corrected. I'm sure it can't be the flow data provided by trickflow indicating that their elbow flows more than all other elbows combined, so that's one post down and about 70 more to go. It can't be the information indicating that the 1LE is bigger than the trickflow because the empirical evidence clearly seems to indicate that it is, in fact, larger. That's about 30 more posts down, leaving only about 40 that could potentially require correction.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:55 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roflcopter

Ill be rocking a modified stock elbow with the resonator on my 398ci. So I guess ill prolly be going slow. Damn

This one is finished.

Quick Reply: 1le elbow vs. aluminum